PDA

View Full Version : Kate Humble - aviation in her blood

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 10:23
For those who did not see the trailers - Kate Humble looks up her family tree and finds two brave aviators.

BBC iPlayer link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00lwqrr/Who_Do_You_Think_You_Are_Series_7_Kate_Humble/)

Ridge Runner
30th Jul 2009, 10:51
Aged 10 or not mate, you are watching the right stuff!!!!

PPRuNeUser0139
30th Jul 2009, 11:26
I can't access iPlayer over here so for the benefit of other non-UK based PPRuNers, here's the story via Wiki:
Both her grandfathers were pilots. Bill Humble was a test pilot who tested the Hawker Tempest and Stan Carter was a war-time RAF pilot who was interned in Stalag Luft III at the time of The Great Escape.

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 11:53
Wiki is not quite correct. Stan Carter was an Air Gunner - the contemporary photo of him showed him as a (post-war) Sqn Ldr with an AG brevet. Shots of his logbook before he was captured showed navigation and gunnery roles on operations. There was no/little mention of his time in the RAF before he was shot down.

He was an habitual escaper/trier, and was sent to Stalag Luft III, where he made maps for the Great Escape from Harry tunnel. He did not escape, and was evacuated before the Soviet advance and walked/transported by train during winter temps of -20C to Lubbeck, from where he was re-patriated by the RAF after VE Day.

corsair
30th Jul 2009, 12:13
Call me deeply cynical but frankly I find it hard to believe she knew so little about Bill Humble. A simple google reveals one or two interesting articles on the web and I'm quite sure a few books out there too that mention his name once or twice. I did think that Eric Brown, surely one of Britain greatest living treasures was essentially characterised as some old pilot who knew Humble vaguely.

Having said that I can well believe her knowing so little about her maternal grandfather. Those guys never did talk about stuff like that. One thing that did jar was calling him a 'pilot' on at least one occasion.

I seem to remember a Jeremy Clarkson programme where his wife's Father had a VC but simply never mentioned it. They were some men.

Wycombe
30th Jul 2009, 12:29
Being somewhat more shallow - apparently Kate is a bit of a naturist - pity that wasn't explored!

Also got quite excited, as the Pub in the opening sequence is one of my locals!

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 12:36
Call me deeply cynical but frankly I find it hard to believe she knew so little about Bill Humble

Reading between the lines and doing some quick Googling it seems Bill H was not the greatest of fathers to KH's father, and spent much of his post-war life abroad, where (again reading between the lines) he chased women and enjoyed a drink. He came back to England not long before his death.

XV490
30th Jul 2009, 13:04
Thought I caught a mention of Stan Carter being on 83 Sqn when he was shot down, and a last line saying 'Hampden' in his logbook.

It would be interesting to know if there's any more mileage in his notes about the auction of trinkets belonging to the the Great Escape's immortal 50. Poor b*ggers.

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jul 2009, 13:24
Interesting programme, I enjoyed it.

I had no idea who Kate Humble was before seeing it (although vaguely think that I've seen her in something), and only caught the programme by luck - it just happened to be the only English language channel I could get in my hotel room that wasn't 24h news!

It did come across rather to me as a media "celeb" who didn't really know much about her own family, who was completely unprepared for discovering just how much more impressive her ancestors' achievements were than her own (not just including Bill Humble - the mine "viewer" was clearly an incredibly capable and honorable man.) However, she acknowledged it well, and it made a good programme teaching us about some fascinating people - so very best of luck to her.

I agree totally however that the status of Winkle Brown really would have benefited from a mention. Although to be fair, he has adequate limelight elsewhere, and the programme wasn't about him.

G

airborne_artist
30th Jul 2009, 13:30
While I knew of it, the "long walk" of Allied PoWs at the very end of the war is not widely known about, and it was good to see it getting a detailed mention.

Ridge Runner
30th Jul 2009, 13:54
Kate Humble, a naturist? I'd like to see that rather than her work as a naturalist! It seems I'm a little alone on this judging by these threads, though. RR

Fishtailed
30th Jul 2009, 15:44
I think it was fairly obvious that Kate's mum and dad had split up and she was brought up by her mum, hence knowing little of her fathers side.
She was surprised and impressed by what she found out about them.
Excellent programme:D

Chainkicker
30th Jul 2009, 18:23
Actually RR, perhaps if you believe the papers :eek:

One of life’s great joys is dancing naked in the sun. It makes me feel so good. Even now, there are all sorts of places in the world where you can take your clothes off and not be seen. -- Kate Humble

I'd be more for bird watching in her garden on a crisp winters morning. Nice to get a view of her bluetits at the peanut feeder :ok:

Hat/Coat etc

Ridge Runner
31st Jul 2009, 07:13
Oh yes..... RR