PDA

View Full Version : How not to land the A380

Sqwak7700
29th Jul 2009, 18:09
Ouch!!

Well at least we know it is not made of plastic! :O

YouTube - Airbus A380 Hard Landing At Oshkosh 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yi9C8NE3Ek&feature=related)

Jumbo744
29th Jul 2009, 18:19
I thought it was a hard landing too, but I have no experience, only 150h of flight, and a few airbus pilots told me it might have been firm, but no hard, so I guess it was impressive but harmless to the plane.

juliet
29th Jul 2009, 21:40
Did they actually bend it?

Didnt look like a hard landing to me, looked like a landing on a short field with a reasonable cross wind.

I guess the wing flexing doesnt look great, but its designed for a lot more than that. If you want to see hard landings search for anything showing a Herc wing flexing/flapping.

Sqwak7700
30th Jul 2009, 10:30
Wings are not usually what gets damaged during hard landings. They are designed to flex quite a bit, so they just flop up and down.

The problem is usually the rear and forward sections of the fuse. They receive the brunt of the loads in a hard landing and will therefore wrinkle.

A short landing does not mean hard. Only Navy pilots think that way. :rolleyes: These guys planted it on unexpectedly. How can you tell? There is no x-wind correction, which also means that the resultant side-load almost put it off the pavement, just look at the right wing gear.

They either flared late or they took the power out too early. Either way, there are no excuses to hide the fact that it was a bad landing.

pill
30th Jul 2009, 10:37
Looked like a normal landing, except the runway was way narrower than normal. Call the gingerbeers.

Slats One
30th Jul 2009, 11:09
If you make a careful frame by frame, slow- motion analysis of this footage, you will observe some significant wing distortion - which indicates the level of sink rate applying. I note that the crab was kicked off after the main gear touched and bounced not before- interesting...

Frame a datum line on the wing span just before touchdown and then do the same at max wings deflection and it is apparent that this registers as a 'harder' landing... Not that I am criticising, as I was not there and it is a short field...

Ex Cathedra
30th Jul 2009, 15:58
20 kt crosswind on a 5500 ft runway... And no flare. My guess is the aircraft barely felt it. It is bound to run into worse landings than that during its career. It was pretty light anyway.

I guess that puts an end to the 'autoland only' myth.

Basil
30th Jul 2009, 16:12
No comment on the landing - glass houses 'n'at :)

If low fuel and no payload then I'd guess the most highly stressed parts would be the engine pylons.

oli,_the_original
30th Jul 2009, 17:47
Seemed ok apart from the crab.

Maybe didn't kick the crab off as its a narrow runway and not used to that perception and all that?

Nedul1a
30th Jul 2009, 17:49
Perfectly fine, no need to straighten any more than that, the bogies are set up to take much worse

Pogie
30th Jul 2009, 18:25
Are you guys serious??? That landing sucked a$$! Watch the aggressive hard rudder inputs. There's no need to be that rough on the rudder. Does the crash in Queens sound familiar?

betpump5
30th Jul 2009, 19:00
Do we really need to threads on the subject on PPrune? - especially when the other one has got 3 pages of comments already?

The video if anything is an excellent demostration of a crosswind landing. The extent of flex of the wings does NOT signify a "hard" landing.

And do the guy who made the comment about Queens. If you can move a control in the cockpit, then the surface can take it. Remember that the movement of a control goes to a computer first. Don't you think the software developers have already written some code that limits the rate of movement of the control surface at certain operational conditions?

In modern FBW a/c, you can be as viscious as you like with the controls. This doesn't mean that the surface itself is moving at that viscious rate.

Basil
30th Jul 2009, 19:07
Pogie,
Remember q - at that speed the rudder deflections were moderate; perfectly OK.

powerstall
30th Jul 2009, 23:45
seems to me, a very good and firm landing, considering the runway width and crosswind. :ok:

nitpicker330
31st Jul 2009, 08:33
Jesus what a load of bollocks some people write in here.

That was one of the worst x/w landings I've ever seen.

Basically he forgot to flare and drove it on HARD.

forgetting to "de-crab" was not the problem ( infact it is a legitimate technique ) forgetting to reduce the sink rate was!!

aseanaero
31st Jul 2009, 08:44
Most of these larger aircraft landings look like controlled crashes to me anyway (largest I've flown is an MU-2) so I'll leave it to the heavy jet guys to judge it.

The thing that caught my eye was all the dirt being sucked up into those expensive engines.

SIC
31st Jul 2009, 13:23
The video if anything is an excellent demostration of a crosswind landing

betpump5 wrote the above.

Well I am willing to bet that you might pump them in like that but where I come from a landing like that is mighty embarrassing.

buggaluggs
31st Jul 2009, 14:40
Navy pilots rock! Flaring to land = sitting to ........ :ok:

Sqwak7700
31st Jul 2009, 17:30
Forgetting to take the crab out is not a legitimate technique. This is just taught because it is harder to do it right.

Yes, the palne will take considerate amounts of sideload without breaking, but that don't make it right to land with sideload. Any person who has ever sat in the back of an airliner that lands sideways will tell you what a crap experience it is to land crabbed.

Just like you can do a roll with your feet flat on the floor, that don't make it right. Some airplanes will cover it up better than others, that's all. :yuk:

BusyB
31st Jul 2009, 20:22
Actually 7700, when I did my 737 conversion course the Boeing Instructor said "land with the drift on and screw it straight". Not the most elegant of techniques but he stated that it was built to do that in max crosswinds.
Anything smoother was a bonus:ok:

galaxy flyer
31st Jul 2009, 20:42
nipicker320

He didn't forget to flare, he just used the wrong eye-to-wheel height estimate.

:} ;)

GF

poina
10th Aug 2009, 00:50
As if none of you guys f@cked up landing on a short narrow field. I've screwed it in the best conditions and lucked out in some bad ones. As have most of you.

the reo
10th Aug 2009, 02:19
It fits under
Those who have and Those who will. (100% of pilots, unless you lie to yourself of course)

nitpicker330
10th Aug 2009, 06:50
Yes I too have screwd up the odd landing or two. I don't recall ever saying otherwise. But that landing was pretty average.
If the airport wasn't big enough or wide enough then that's no excuse.
He was an Airbus test Pilot for goodness sake!!

1200firm
10th Aug 2009, 13:17
Hey! Any bets it was a management pilot doing the landing? One of those Richard Gear types......

Sqwak7700
10th Aug 2009, 18:26
As if none of you guys f@cked up landing on a short narrow field. I've screwed it in the best conditions and lucked out in some bad ones. As have most of you.

I haven't, I am a Cathay Trainer. All my landings are 1500 and smooth, just check my ERAS if you would like proof. :}

victorc10
10th Aug 2009, 19:44
What a ridiculous thread! Nice video though.

WindSheer
11th Aug 2009, 00:42
You're correct....he should be stripped of his 'test' status and made to deliver cessna's to europeans across the atlantic!

Its a tough world out there.....when you reach test pilot grade, you are not allowed to miss-judge a landing because you will upset the millions of you tube spotters!! :ugh::ugh:

Seriously though.....sh1t landing...:O

poina
11th Aug 2009, 00:48
Yeah, I remember the video of the Airbus test pilot running into the trees wondering why alpha floor did not work.

leewan
11th Aug 2009, 08:56
If you want to see hard landings search for anything showing a Herc wing flexing/flapping.

Now, this is a hard landing.

YouTube - C-130 Crash Landing, Wing tip falls off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHSACq-HeoA)

hongkongfooey
11th Aug 2009, 10:15
That is one crap landing, or a great one if you are a naval aviator :eek:

Actually 7700, when I did my 737 conversion course the Boeing Instructor said "land with the drift on and screw it straight

Sounds like another quality Alteon endorsement. Try that crap at any of the 4 airlines I have flown for, and its back to the sim blogs :=

ReverseFlight
13th Aug 2009, 07:53
I used to defend CX pilots when people say their landings are below par but CX168's (A333) landing at CLK this morning was a real "crash on the nose wheel" job. I know it had been raining earlier in the morning but that just means positive contact of the undercarriage and harder braking, not an exercise in spine-jarring. To be fair, the main wheels contacted the tarmac fine and prolonged reverse thrust was applied.

BusyB
13th Aug 2009, 16:42
hongkongfooey,

No, a Boeing training and delivery pilot:ok:

Bullethead
20th Aug 2009, 14:04
I dunno why some of you are blathering on about short/narrow runways, the landing was on R/W 36 at KOSH which, according to my information, is 8000ft long x 150ft wide. Maybe a little shorter than the 'double decker bus' is used to but surely a standard width. I've seen the thing land at YSSY several times and it pulls up a lot shorter than 8000ft without any trouble.

Regards,
BH.

earlyNFF
22nd Aug 2009, 21:44
really a lot of cr@ppy comments here. Anyway, what the heck has it to do with "Fragrant Harbour"?

leewan
26th Aug 2009, 06:34
Here's an excellent A380 landing.

YouTube - [720p] Crosswind Landing - by Singapore Airlines Airbus A380-800 ?9V-SKD? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHmgHFZFNw)

blah blah blah
26th Aug 2009, 07:21
Bullethead,

Total length wasn't the issue as I understand it. Believe they had to make a turnoff at 5500' as they couldn't turn and back track.

Bullethead
26th Aug 2009, 10:29
Total length wasn't the issue as I understand it. Believe they had to make a turnoff at 5500' as they couldn't turn and back track

Yeah, that'd get you focussed but still no reason to plant it without at least trying to get it straight.

Regards,
BH.

seventy-seven
26th Aug 2009, 11:26
Aibuses are made like buses because they are buses.