PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an aircraft engineer

BAtrinette
29th Jul 2009, 14:41
hi all,
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but i couldnt find much information on how to become an aircraft engineer.

What are the entry requirements?
What should you study?
Are there any good apprenticeships available?

Any information would be great
Thanks
x

Miles Gustaph
29th Jul 2009, 14:53
There is some good information a few threads down ... "The job of an engineer" and has some good advice, it may be worth joining there.

planecrazy.eu
31st Jul 2009, 18:31
I think this type of topic should be made a sticky as there are lots and lots on here about this. If it was stuck to the top and contibuted to by people in the know, it would be a good place to start and read all about going from nothing to engineer.

Alber Ratman
2nd Aug 2009, 21:17
Check out this..

ELGD | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=177&pagetype=68&gid=777)

and the thread that has been already mentioned..

bcgallacher
3rd Aug 2009, 06:49
I am a second generation Aircraft Engineer - FAA and EASA licenced - my father started in aviation in the late 1930s.It used to be a wonderful career and it was fun until the accountants and penpushers took over and tried to regulate the business and reduce everything to the lowest common denominator.The current theory being if you can read the book you can maintain aircraft.More emphasis is placed on the paperwork being filled in than the work being accomplished well.
I have two sons and did nothing to encourage them to follow me into aviation as it no longer gives me or a large percentage of my colleagues the satisfaction that it used to.
Companies are trying to de-skill the job so they dont have to have a large training budget and can pay lower salaries - they dont realise how much a well trained and enthusiastic engineer can save them in minimising ground time.

boeing_eng
3rd Aug 2009, 16:02
bcgallacher......I've been in this industry over 30 years so have witnessed the many changes that have occurred.

I too feel strongly about the general "dumbing down" of both the licensing system and type training....However the future of the industry is in the hands of the youngsters that are attracted to this profession today. I will always give a balanced view of this career to anyone considering embarking on the long and demanding road to becoming an LAE.

Despite the many challenges, I feel it is still a very worthwhile career. There has to be some form of acceptance that the industry has changed massively from the "good old days" when airlines had cartels and Governments protecting fare structures etc.