PDA

View Full Version : Lanzarote Airport

David Sharpe
29th Jul 2009, 13:07
Off on a holiday to Lanzarote (Puerto del Carmen) for a week in November, was wondering what sort of stuff I might get on SBS apart from the charters ? (any overflights ?) I know that Fuerteventura is located close by so presumably has some over flights.
On the airband radio wondered if it was possible to get Las Palmas and Tenerife flights, or is it a bit too far away ?
Any comments and thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

aviate1138
30th Jul 2009, 05:45
Don't be shocked by your first sight of Lanzarote from the air. It looks like 36 volcanic outpourings have all joined hands. I think the Apollo 13 astronauts trained there.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aviate1138/Picture12-3.jpg

Wycombe
31st Jul 2009, 08:20
Can't comment on the airband, but when I was last there I remember that FUE arrivals/departures were clearly visible climbing/descending overhead ACE given decent weather.

The volcanic landscape is spectacular and if you are on a northerly approach into ACE, you will get quite up close and personal with some of the terrain on the way in - I believe it's an offset approach through one of the gaps you can see in the photo above.

chevvron
31st Jul 2009, 16:31
Those volcanos make the glidepath on 21 3.7 deg; not surprisingly many of the big boys elect to accept a tailwind for departure from 21 as runway 03 has a marked upslope !

Scott Diamond
31st Jul 2009, 17:07
Very good airport and good spots to watch by the beach - usually a couple of other spotters will be down there to talk to.

Also when taxing out for your return flight - if departing 03 - the slope on the taxiway is good fun when you go down it :}

WindSheer
31st Jul 2009, 22:51
Its a lovely offset approach into 03. You are kept away from the coast, for noise reasons I believe, and line up with the rwy about 1m out.
Lovely.

You probably wont be aware from the cabin...although look for the slight bank to the right on very short final.

Have a good holiday..!!:ok:

SFCC
1st Aug 2009, 00:08
Sorry WindSheer. Crock of sh1te. ILS QDM 033, Runway QDM 033.. no offset whatsoever.
Hope you enjoy your holiday:}

WindSheer
1st Aug 2009, 08:40
There is always some cocky tw8t!

The last time I flew in there was about 5 years ago......this was what we flew....
http://fs.gamersmafia.com/storage/tutorial/0/gcrr03vor.jpg

That was the only plate I could find on-line.

I sincerely apologise if it has changed or an ILS has been installed.

;)

flyinthesky
1st Aug 2009, 09:06
Windsheer, you were the one who stated an unequivocal response regarding the approach. Perhaps next time, you might like to look at the finer details of the chart you are using. Your chart is for a VOR/DME approach which is offset, however in 10 years of going to ACE I cannot remember doing one. It's usually an ILS (which of course isn't offset) or a full visual to save track miles.

I think SFCC was just responding to your perceived knowledgeable response, albeit quite firmly!!!!;)

Now in response to the original posting, on a clear day ACE is an excellent destination. Plenty to look at on the approach from both sides of the aircraft, as when landing on 03, the aircraft turns in the bay. On a departure on 03, there is a fairly low level turn to pick up the SID which is interesting. Oh, and I would only take 21 if I was too heavy for 03. Just because there are a few hills wouldn't make me fly the wrong way and increase my mileage and flight time. You just need a little bit of terrain awareness.

Avman
1st Aug 2009, 22:50
The offset approach is on Rwy 21. With an almost mid runway touchdown plus the downward slope it can be an exciting arrival. Been there, done that. Not the busiest, but a great airport to watch the action.

WindSheer
1st Aug 2009, 23:56
Your chart is for a VOR/DME approach which is offset, however in 10 years of going to ACE I cannot remember doing one.

Ok, so disregard my opinion. Because the ONCE that I have been in there that is what was flown. The ILS must have been U/S, I cant remember.

I can also remember following an MYT A320 onto final if thats any help to the GCRR approach police...:ok:

Wycombe
3rd Aug 2009, 10:05
I previously said:

The volcanic landscape is spectacular and if you are on a northerly approach into ACE, you will get quite up close and personal with some of the terrain on the way in - I believe it's an offset approach through one of the gaps you can see in the photo above.

Of course, what I meant was the approach from the north, not the northerly approach (which is of course over the water past the beach at Puerto del Carmen onto Rwy 03)....sorry.

To pick up on some of the comments re. runway usage here - I once departed ACE to LGW in a Caledonian L1011 (a few years back now!), on a warm but fairly calm evening. We sat in the 21 holding area for about 20 mins for a stream of arrivals on 03, as the 21 departure was the only way we would get to LGW without a tech-stop (in FAO I think). The FD PA'd to explain this very well to the pax, and those around me all then stopped moaning about the time we were sat waiting for a gap in the arrivals :ok:

bizchaser
3rd Aug 2009, 13:46
David

The last time I visited was last November - had the airnav with me and picked up very few arr/dep into FUE overhead ACE, most went either side of the island.

On the airband front I had AR108 with me and could hardly pick up canarias radar.

BRgds

sp221156
23rd Jan 2013, 18:37
Very old thread I've just found but Lanzarote is a great place to go for a spotter or photographer. Stayed last year at the Beatriz Playa Hotel almost at the end of the runway and got dozens of good shots from our room balcony as well as from walking up to the threshold (5 mins) and walking along the promenade on Matagorda beach. Returning again this summer to stay in another hotel but still with great approach views.

I noted the earlier post about the Apollo 13 astronauts doing geology training there prior to their flight in 1970. Wasn't the crew of 13 I'm afraid. When I saw the message I e-mailed Fred Haise (Apollo 13 lunar module pilot) whom I've met a few times and asked if he trained there. The answer was no just in the western US and Hawaii. ;)

Steve

aviate1138
27th Jan 2013, 08:49
xp221156

"Wasn't the crew of 13 I'm afraid."

Absolutely correct. Apparently the Apollo astronauts were shown pictures of areas of Lanzarotte to show them what they were likely to encounter when on the moon........

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aviate1138/ScreenShot2013-01-27at094803_zps71008686.png

SpringHeeledJack
27th Jan 2013, 09:25
I believe that the Apollo astronauts trained in and around the craters of Haleakala on the Hawaiian island of Maui during the build up to the moon missions, either that or in a studio :E

SHJ

El Grifo
27th Jan 2013, 10:20
I can see the 03 arrivals from my window.

When I have friends or family arrive I follow them on flightradar24 and leave for the pickup about 10 mins out.

There are several tales spread about astronaut training and movie making on the island, usually trotted out by inexperienced holiday reps.

They did make the ancient "One million years BC" here !!

Great shot Aviate ! How did you achieve it ????

Cymmon
27th Jan 2013, 10:38
Hi El Grifo, this photo is of the "Valle de tranquilidad" Valley of Tranquility in the fire mountains. Toward the end of the tour (if you sit on the side of the tour coach opposite the driver) you get to stop at the highest point on the tour, the views are sensational. This driver has made an error and stopped 40 ft too far forward...... I assume you reside in Matagorda area.

As an aside, "Enemy Mine" was filmed partly at El Golfo, you see the green pool about halfway through the film.

aviate1138
27th Jan 2013, 11:17
El Grifo....
"Great shot Aviate ! How did you achieve it ????"

I Googled Lanzarotte.

BTW I worked on Enemy Mine and it was originally shot in Iceland directed by an English

Director and 20th Century Fox was so appalled by the location footage they scrapped the

whole show and hired Wolfgang Petersen to start from square one. We did a quick recce and

Lanzarotte was where the locations were shot.

El Grifo
27th Jan 2013, 12:02
A little bit further west that Mmatagorda and a 100ftAGL !

Where exactly were the locations for Enemy Mine ??

Cheers
El G