PDA

View Full Version : My sound is no more...

Glamgirl
29th Jul 2009, 00:13
Help please!

I've just done an "automatic update" thing to Explorer8 or something like that. As you can tell, I'm not great with technology and proper terms...

My sound has disappeared! I have no idea why. I have checked that the volume is on, although there's an orange "x" over my speaker symbol. Also, when holding the mouse over this speaker symbol, a box states: "No Audio Output Device is Installed". What does this mean?

If anyone is able to help, I'll be forever grateful. Thank you in advance.

Gg

pierrefridez
29th Jul 2009, 02:53
ok, try going to start-> control panel->sound.. (something).. check the properties, if you didn't accidentally just mute the sound. Check, if there is actually an installed sound devices listed. As a last resort, try to uninstall it and reinstall it (should work via the hardware tab.. ).
hope it helps, would do anything for eternal gratitude :D
cheers

Sprogget
29th Jul 2009, 07:52
"No Audio Output Device is Installed".

This means that your sound processing device has become disabled or uninstalled. Assuming you're (a) on windows and (b) you've checked the volume isn't turned down, no leads have become loose etc. then do the following;

Click Start. Right click my computer. From the dialog box that opens, click manage then on the window that opens, click device manager. Scroll down the list until you come to sound, video & game controllers. Expand that tab by clicking on the + symbol. If your device has become disabled or uninstalled, it should be listed there with either a yellow question mark or a red x by it.

Right click it & choose either update driver or enable this device. If you choose update driver then windows will ask you whether you want to install the software automatically or from a specific location. Choose automatically & see what it does. If it can't find it, then you will either have to find the disk containing the driver software for the device or download a driver from the manufacturers website.

Glamgirl
29th Jul 2009, 10:31
Pierre and Sprogget,

You have my eternal gratefullness for your excellent technical abilities! The sound has come back thanks to your guidance and I very much appreciate it.

Thanks you both so much!

Gg

(I'll even send you a hug each :))

Keygrip
29th Jul 2009, 13:11
Can I have one, pretty please?

=^..^=

Bushfiva
29th Jul 2009, 14:21
Loose Rivets never hugs people. We need to renegotiate his support terms.

Ancient Observer
29th Jul 2009, 15:07
Neither does BOAC - and he's branched in to "repairs for mates" too.

Sprogget
29th Jul 2009, 15:20
Don't hug me just yet...
http://i30.tinypic.com/xeq61v.jpg

frostbite
29th Jul 2009, 16:43
You forgot the VAT!

Or is that a cash deal?

Glamgirl
29th Jul 2009, 16:43
Sprogget's hug has been retracted and given to Keygrip instead.

Can I pay you after the weekend Sprogget? I'm playing the lottery so hopefully the winning ticket will sort out the bill...

Other hugs distributed on exchange for genius ideas/tips/helpful hints regarding all sorts of technology (and cars).

Gg

Saab Dastard
29th Jul 2009, 17:37
Humph, just 'cos Keygrip's a mod, he thinks he can just wander in here, ask prettily and be given other people's hard-earned hugs! :*

Well there's no favouritism in here, let me tell you. People like that ought to go get a Mac! :rolleyes:

And don't forget that VAT on hugs will be increased to 18% in January. :sad:

Personally, I've always favoured beer-tokens, but that's probably a dastard thing. :)

If I had had a beer for every pearl of wisdom I've dispensed, I'd have a drink problem. :ok:

SD

Glamgirl
29th Jul 2009, 17:48
SD,

;)

Gg

Coconutty
29th Jul 2009, 18:47
There may be a technical problem with adding VAT to Sproggett's Invoice,
as it has been made out in $$$'s and not £££'s :suspect:

Glam - looks like you may have just saved 15% - What you gonna spend it on :ok:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

al446
29th Jul 2009, 19:04
If I had had a beer for every pearl of wisdom I've dispensed, I'd have a drink problem.

Thirst maybe?:rolleyes:

Sprogget
29th Jul 2009, 19:20
Whenever you're ready Saab:p
http://i31.tinypic.com/i513k1.jpg

Saab Dastard
29th Jul 2009, 19:35
Thanks Sprogget - do you accept hugs, virtual beer tokens or green shield stamps as a payment method?

:E

SD

Jofm5
29th Jul 2009, 19:38
I can lend you some Tesco clubcard points Saab...

frostbite
29th Jul 2009, 19:52
or green shield stamps

Well, that's one way to give your age away!

Sprogget
29th Jul 2009, 20:27
Broken Toasters. I want broken toasters. Ask me why & I kill everybody.:E

BOAC
29th Jul 2009, 21:28
I take petrol coupons...................................

Keygrip
29th Jul 2009, 22:04
<Keygrip smiles - and feels all warm and snuggly>

Glamgirl
29th Jul 2009, 22:51
Keygrip,

Hugs are good, no? I like to believe I'm an expert...;)

Coconutty,

I'll spend the 15% on cheap rum for a pina colada..:}

Sprogget,

I don't even own a toaster, sorry...:{

Gg

Ancient Observer
30th Jul 2009, 15:04
We're a lot nicer down here than in those dangerous places such as BA Crew, (private) and Cabin Crew.
Do pop by whenever the morons higher up the page give you problems!

frostbite
30th Jul 2009, 16:43
the morons higher up the page

I resemble that remark!

al446
30th Jul 2009, 20:24
For that kind of money I'd do away with myself.

Avarice can be a terrible sin

Saab Dastard
30th Jul 2009, 21:37
al446, you are toast! ;)

SD

Sprogget
30th Jul 2009, 23:22
Fait accompli! ;)

al446
31st Jul 2009, 00:46
You had better have a very good grill given the amount of liquid I absorb. Granted, the alcohol content makes that statement a bit dodgy.

But hey, my Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro card works great.:ok:

Glamgirl
31st Jul 2009, 15:37
Ancient Observer,

Thank you. I do quite like it down here... (although I don't really understand the technical stuff..)

Hugs to you too ;)

Gg

Saab Dastard
31st Jul 2009, 15:59
But hey, my Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro card works great.

My Audigy 2ZS does too! I picked one up from ebay a month ago or so, and matched it up with an X-Fi Fatality front panel, also from ebay.

I think I described the fun I had getting it (and a SATA drive) all working in a post here.

Hey - we're back talking about computers, that can't be right! ;)

SD

Glamgirl
31st Jul 2009, 16:19
Ok, I get the hint. I have another computer question...

After my upgrade thingie that lost me the sound in the first place - which is now fixed, I get a pale yellow bar at the top of each web page that says: "IE is currently running with add-ons disabled. Click here to manage, disable, or remove your add-ons".

I've tried clicking on it, but I don't actually understand what I need to do. There's a choice of about 50 things to change (Java, Adobe, Microsoft etc etc), but they're all enabled (?).

Any clues?

Sorry to sound blond (but I really am blond...), but I'm (obviously) not that technically minded in regards to computers.

Thanks in advance.

Gg

Ps. Usual payment applies..;)

Ancient Observer
31st Jul 2009, 16:42
That's best left to the experts. (Not me).
IE8 can be a pig. The normal advice from here is to not use IE8!!
We can try.....
First, while you are using IE, click on "Help". In the drop down list, click on "About Internet Explorer". That will tell you which version of IE you have. If it says 8, (8,0,6001 or some such number), then you do have IE8.
If you click on Tools within IE, a drop down list appears. At the bottom of the list is "Internet Options". Click on that. "Internet options" appears. There are a series of tabs along the top. Click on "Programs". At the bottom of the programs tab, there is a button called "manage add-ons" next to "enable or disable add-ons".
You'll then get the place to enable/disable the various add-ons.
The issue from here on is that each individual who contributes to this thread will have their own views on what to enable.
In my view, the fewer the better. I have Adobe, AVG, (a security programme), something called safer networking, and then some MS and Sun stuff enabled. Everything else is disabled.

Glamgirl
31st Jul 2009, 16:47
Thank you, Ancient Observer.

The problem though, is that each type of add-on has 4 or more each, like Java has 4 types, all with same date etc (I'm sorry I can't explain it better). Do I need to enable all of them?

Confused dot com

Gg

Glamgirl
31st Jul 2009, 17:23
Wow, you guys are good!

I didn't really do anything, but the pop-up (yellow) line has disappeared! Is somebody working behind the scene on my little computer? Just don't look at the hidden pictures please....:}

Gg

green granite
31st Jul 2009, 19:10
Try this site, watch the video and see if it helps. It has videos on other aspects of IE8 as well.

Doing more with Add Ons in Internet Explorer 8 - Understanding Internet Explorer 8 - butterscotch (http://www.butterscotch.com/tutorial/Doing-More-With-Add-Ons-In-Internet-Explorer-8)

al446
31st Jul 2009, 20:40
and matched it up with an X-Fi Fatality front panel

Why? Mine came with separate external box with i/p o/p sckts and firewire sckt.

Sprogget
31st Jul 2009, 21:02
Are vowels on ration? The thing with Creative stuff is no matter how fancy the kit, they'll stuff you sooner or later with their drivers. Grrr.

al446
31st Jul 2009, 21:29
My nswr s n, nt rtnd, jst qckr.:ok:

You're right about drivers, in a way. Main prob I've found with Creative stuff is the bloatware that comes with it.

There are a couple of alternative drivers about but I ended up going back to Creative's. Just lazy I suppose.

Ancient Observer
1st Aug 2009, 11:48
Unless you have secifically enabled remote access, then the removal of the yellow bar by the little people inside your pc was probably due to them recognising that you wre trying to fix the problem.
There are one or two techies in this world of JB who could probably talk to the little people inside your pc, but most of us aren't sad enough to be able to do that.
You can now go back on full frontal assault in the CC BA thread unencumbered by said yellow line.