PDA

View Full Version : DESO/DEFO over?

WhatThe?
28th Jul 2009, 21:02
Intentionally posted on this page, I don't want wannabes opinions:

I am currently in the DESO pool and have heard no news lately as to our status. I am wondering what the pilots currently working at CX think of this expanded CPP to international applicants? Is the DEFO and DESO program over? What do you think will happen to the international-CPP's when they get to Hong Kong and really see what $50,000 a year will buy them?

I have been around long enough to know that aviation changes as often as my underwear, but should I start looking for other work...or just cross my fingers?

Regards,

Red Hot Poker
28th Jul 2009, 23:33
What is a "CPP"?

flyingkiwi
28th Jul 2009, 23:59
Am pretty sure CX will honour its current commitments, i dont think this international drive for the CPP will be a complete replacement to the direct entry system but to top up the current scheme as they cant find the numbers of local applicants that meet the standard.

I know its a long wait for you sitting on a yes letter but i would say 90% that you will get the call for a start in the future.

WhatThe?
29th Jul 2009, 00:42
Love the positive post, thanks very much.

Hopefully see you sooner than later.

uspilot
29th Jul 2009, 02:21
Was told by them that they will send out update sometimes in Sept. I am in the list for DEFO I am sure same goes for DESO.:ok:

Loiter1
29th Jul 2009, 02:36
Wow. I wasn't aware that the international cadets weren't going to get an expat package. I don't agree that the locals should not get a housing allowance, but at least most of them have family to fall back on for accomodation. I guess when someone dangles a wide body endorsement in front of you and you are 20 years old, then there is not much to consider. Especially when you consider the current/future conditions in GA and regional aviation.:(

Liam Gallagher
29th Jul 2009, 03:12
Take the following with a healthy pinch of salt.

My crystal ball shows, an albeit grainy picture, of no more DESO's except for those to whom CX have given a written committment. So long as CX gets the required numbers and quality from the new and expanded CPP, that will be the future for SO recruitment. Being closer to the market than I, perhaps you are best placed to judge whether or not they will achieve the numbers.

I note CX recently agreed to pay the LEPs (locally employed pilots) a modified education allowance, so I would assume CPP's would get that. Whether or not a modified housing allowance is paid will depend upon the uptake and retention of the CPP's over the coming years.

I would guess the DEFO program will remain the same as they are now on "market rates"; again you are best placed to judge the success of that particularly as the carrot of a "rapid command" can no longer be genuinely dangled.

It strikes me that for all airlines it is now a race to the bottom to see who can pay the least and still get bums on seats. The likes of Ryanair and Jetstar lead the way, but CX is now joining the race..... enjoy the ride....

<Crystal ball datalink lost

wrking30
1st Aug 2009, 17:01
With 6 PAX aircraft being parked what kind of impact do you guys think this will have on Pilot numbers and any possible recruitment?

MilPilot
1st Aug 2009, 22:32
Does anybody know how many DEFOs are in the pool?

sizematters
2nd Aug 2009, 01:54
6 aircraft being Parked ?? mmmm and about 40 to be delivered in the next 3 years.................we are all on overtime right now and the word is that the SLS scheme doesn't save enough money to cover the overtime payments................Load factors are 87% + and business is slowly filling up again, ...................wait till after xmas 09 and they'll be recruiting 250 pilots a year again..................

airplaneridesrfun
2nd Aug 2009, 15:21
DEFO's will have to wait for all suitable SO's to upgrade, and there will shortly be about 150 suitable SO's on COS 99 the company will want to upgrade since they will be paying them JFO wages and benefits by court order. I imagine it will take about 2 years for any new DEFO's, but that is just an educated guess. Or, you can believe what CX tells you.

wrking30
2nd Aug 2009, 16:04
"DEFO's will have to wait for all suitable SO's to upgrade, and there will shortly be about 150 suitable SO's on COS 99 the company will want to upgrade since they will be paying them JFO wages and benefits by court order. I imagine it will take about 2 years for any new DEFO's, but that is just an educated guess. Or, you can believe what CX tells you."

What about DESO?? You reckon that they will use the SOs in the pool and the new cadets to fill any positions left open by upgrading current SOs to JFO. Or is opinion that they will only fill SO positions with Cadets now?

SloppyJoe
2nd Aug 2009, 17:34
I think that is what they want to do as 6 cadet courses for next year i think, it just depends how quick and how large the upturn is. I expect they will try to fill all new SO slots in the future (not sure how far into the future) with cadets as they cost the company a lot less and have to sign up for 7 years under the new scheme. Retention will probably be high after that due to bases and being a SFO moving up the seniority list by then.

I thought it was against the law to bond people in Hong Kong or am I missing something as they provide the training?

sisyphos
2nd Aug 2009, 17:40
just out of curiosity, noticed some of you are in their late twenties, early thirties : no problem with the back/right seat for the next 20+ years ?? not trying to be smart, just wondering..:confused:

wrking30
2nd Aug 2009, 19:57
"just out of curiosity, noticed some of you are in their late twenties, early thirties : no problem with the back/right seat for the next 20+ years ?? not trying to be smart, just wondering.."

I am in the pool right now and can honestly say I don't have a problem with the back/right seatfor a considerable time, however 20 years which I know was a slight exaggeration would be a little disheartening for me. I think the most important thing for people to realize is that time to upgrade and eventually command will be significantly longer than it has been in the past, and to consider this before going to work there as it would be bad anyone to leave and have to start over at the bottom of another companies seniority list

I for one would very much enjoy the time off that comes with being an SO and whilst on the job learning something from the guys already there who no doubt have considerable more experience than I.

GTC58
2nd Aug 2009, 20:50
According to TT, 25% less pax, he anticipates another 3 years of recovery before getting back to the 2007 pax numbers. If this is correct I don't see any DEFO hiring for another 4 or more years. One of the reason as previously mentioned is that there is a growing pool (doesn't seem that hardly any upgrades happening at the moment) of SO's ready for JFO upgrade (close to 200 by mid 2010) and secondly CX is hiring actively now up to 100 Cadets (incl. expats) per year for SO positions.
CX financial results will be announced on the 5th and if rumours are true that there will be an operating loss, maybe SLS and unpaid leave are just the start of worse things to come.