PDA

View Full Version : Virgin wins $380m backing for space flights

ORAC
28th Jul 2009, 14:35
The Times: Virgin wins $380m backing for space flights (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article6730427.ece)

Sir Richard Branson has struck a deal with a Middle Eastern investor to buy more than a third of Virgin Galactic, the tycoon’s space travel business which is now worth $1 billion. Aabar Investments, the Abu Dhabi-based fund, has bought a 32 per cent stake in the company, paying $280 million and committing a further $100m to fund satellite launch capability.

Virgin Galactic was set up in 2004 to offer “space tourism” to people willing to pay $200,000 each for the experience. So far, 300 people have signed up for a two and a half hour space flight where they will leave the Earth’s atmosphere for between six and seven minutes of weightlessness.

No date has been given for flights to start but Virgin’s SpaceShipOne has already flown safely to space and back three times. A new spacecraft, SpaceShipTwo, will commence a test flight programme before the end of this year.

Sir Richard said: “We are delighted to partner with Aabar in a strategic deal that is a first for Virgin Galactic. The initiative will leverage the solid financial backing of Aabar and the pioneering technology and strong global relationships of Virgin Galactic.”

The investment is Aabar’s latest attempt to diversify Abu Dhabi’s economy away from oil and lure tourists to the country. Khadem Al Qubaisi, chairman of Aabar, said: “The partnership not only falls in line with Abu Dhabi’s larger plans to inculcate technology, research and science at a grassroots level but also complements its aim to be the international tourism capital of the region.”

stormin norman
28th Jul 2009, 14:52
More spin than the average satellite.

MU3001A
28th Jul 2009, 15:57
Man City are going into orbit this coming season folks, you read it here 1st.

Carnage Matey!
28th Jul 2009, 16:21
Worth $1bn?!?!?! They're having a larf! Doesn't seem to be a very green enterprise either!

ExXB
28th Jul 2009, 16:52
Any of you that observed the Virgin America certification trauma will understand my question.

Sir Richard, appears to be establishing an airline to carry passengers between two points in the USA. He now has sold just less than a third to the UAE.

How can he do this - operate domestic flights when the company is 0% owned by US nationals?

Or do US ownership and control rules not apply when the flight exceeds 50K feet?

This IS a serious question - does anyone have a serious answer?

Noxegon
28th Jul 2009, 17:27
Protectionism has no place in the modern world. End of line.

MrBernoulli
28th Jul 2009, 17:32
Sir Richard, appears to be establishing an airline to carry passengers between two points in the USA. He now has sold just less than a third to the UAE.

Is there some confusion here? Virgin Galactic is not the same as Virgin USA.

MU3001A
28th Jul 2009, 18:17
ExXB

I guess they would classified as sightseeing flights rather than point to point domestic flights.

TckVs
28th Jul 2009, 18:24
Strange, I thought the test pilot refused ever to fly the bathtub fueled by rubberbands ever again. (I think the fuel is a rubber compond). By the way did virgin ever put money into the LEO thing?

Basil
28th Jul 2009, 20:17
Protectionism has no place in the modern world.
Except in the USA. Well that's how it has appeared to me.
Basil - ex Mercantile Marine & airline.