PDA

View Full Version : A Few Things

homesick rae
28th Jul 2009, 05:40
Hi There,

Just upgraded to a brand new Acer laptop and I have Vista Home Premium OS.

The following things are occuring (or not!):

1. Using Firefox: Cannot enter any text when trying to send an email on google - just keeps "loading"
2. Same sort of things with other websites: Facebook - I can see the home page but if I click on, for example, messages it just keeps loading and nothing happens - can shift around most other sites like PPRuNe or BBC etc
3. IE - using Microsoft Exchange Server for email - get the certificate error and continue as normal - log in and get to the emails - I can neither compose or reply to any emails

Someone has suggested an active x problem - I do believe it is something fairly simple but would appreciate any "quick fixes" if possible.

Many thanks

HR

C-N
28th Jul 2009, 06:57
IIRC, Firefox don't pack Java and adobe Flash by default, you need to download both of them as plugin in your firefox and you can open the sites that you have mentioned.

homesick rae
28th Jul 2009, 07:54
C-N,

Thanks will do. I am also having probs installing my printer saying that it is not compatible with Vista OS - this is odd since my desktop is Vista! It is also suggesting that I log out and run as admin (I am logged in a as admin!) ANy ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance.

HR

C-N
28th Jul 2009, 08:41
With your printer problem, check the brand of your printer, and go to the official website of your printer.

Download the driver there, but in most cases your printer driver is already included in your vista package. I think the printer driver that you're installing is 16bit which vista wont accept. only download the driver from the official site, as others wont be accepted by vista also. I think vista is doing that driver signing stuff for user safey.

homesick rae
4th Aug 2009, 06:37
C-N,

Printer fine now thanks for your help!

Re OWA an IE8 - I can only open my email in basic mode but lose a lot of functions. Any ideas on this?

Thanks

HR

Mike-Bracknell
4th Aug 2009, 20:40
Pop-up blocker?

homesick rae
7th Aug 2009, 06:52
Not the pop-up blocker - tried that. I am sure it is something really simple but I have to use OWA in "basic" mode just to send and reply to emails but lose many functions.

Any ideas would be appreciated having tried all suggestions thus far.

Thanks

HR