PDA

View Full Version : Special Flying Award

Mackay
27th Jul 2009, 12:48
Hi guys,

I know that have been a lot of threads on the special flying award (I have used the search function to find them), and have seen the information on the navy site.

I want to go forward for this, but the AFCO doesn't seem to know anything about it, and when I called Yeovilton and asked for the details of 727 squadron i was connected to line that cut me off after a minute of holding (not convinced it was right).

Does anyone have the contact number for 727 at yeovilton (Including extension)?

Cheers :ok:

Matt

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2009, 13:01
No point ringing 727 - they don't hand out application forms, or administer the application process.

Go back to the AFCO and show them

The Special Flying Award : 727 : Naval Air Squadrons : Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/fleet-air-arm/naval-air-squadrons/727/the-special-flying-award/)

Tell them to ring the S03 FAA in DNR in Portsmouth - he/she runs the applications I believe.

Mackay
27th Jul 2009, 13:09
Thanks for the quick reply,

I will be sure to do that.

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2009, 14:16
Didn't you have a problem with asthma? Bear in mind that for the powered award you may have to complete an aircrew medical - I'm not 100% certain on this, though.

Mackay
27th Jul 2009, 14:25
It was hay fever, but I had thought of this and realised nothing ventured nothing gained. There's nothing stopping me trying and being told I am not eligible rather than not trying at all.

The Fleet Air Arm Officers Associations website says:

"By the end of the course it is anticipated that the students will have discovered whether they have an aptitude for flying or an interest in a career in aviation or in the Royal Navy. Many, of course, will fall away, but others will wish to pursue further the possibility of aviation as a career."

To me it sounds like this is run totally independent of AIB, and their side of things - although that may just be wishfull thinking. I believe this may give me a level playing field to others.

Yellow Sun
27th Jul 2009, 15:24
It was hay fever, but I had thought of this and realised nothing ventured nothing gained. There's nothing stopping me trying and being told I am not eligible rather than not trying at all.

Good lad, go for it and good luck.

YS

airborne_artist
27th Jul 2009, 15:32
FAAOA run the gliding scholarship scheme, and DNR buy into the scheme, paying for places alongside those paid for by the FAAOA's Gliding Scholarship Trust. SO3 FAA DNR takes names from ACLOs for his side, and the FAAOA take direct applications as well. About 50 total a year, from FAAOA and DNR combined.

You need to be 19 or under now for the FAAOA awards, not sure about DNR's awards.

SO3 FAA at DNR also manages the powered flying award, and this can only be accessed through ACLOs. FAAOA do not have a similar scheme. It was the case the the PFA required attendance at Cranwell for FATs, but I think this has been dropped.

Mackay
27th Jul 2009, 18:01
Cheer s guys for all the info, just need to figue out who my ACLO is at the moment - its changed so many times and been over a year since i've met her. But should be easy to work out if I call up the AFCO with my reference number.

:ok: