PDA

View Full Version : Photographic flashes.

Loose rivets
27th Jul 2009, 05:01
I've been offered either of two Nikon flashes. One is the rather old SB28. But not the DX. I've found that the TTL section does not function on my D50. More correctly, the camera just stops when the flash is on that setting.

Price on that is $75.

For $150, I can have the SB 800, which seems to work very well. I'm not that keen on photography, so don't want to buy kit that I don't absolutely need, yet I read that the flash procedures can make or break a picture.

It seems that the 28 is just a smaller, but otherwise old technology device, and that the Through the Lens Technology is vitally important, so shouldn't be missed.

What think you?

Bushfiva
27th Jul 2009, 05:43
If it's a choice of exactly those two flashes, then the SB-800 because it actually works on your camera. That's a good price for an SB-800.

Since you're not really into photography, you might want to check out the SB-400 which is way more compact. The SB-400 supports bounce flash, which is the reason most people get external units.

The SB-800 zooms with the lens and has way more features. But it's a big thing to cart around.

Are you buying a flash because you've decided the built-in flash isn't up to it? You can do a lot with the built-in flash and home-made diffusers and reflectors.

Loose rivets
27th Jul 2009, 08:08
First and foremost, these two have been offered by a freind, and having purchased the 28, am allowed to upgrade to the 800 if I wish. This pal has gone Canon.

Oddly, although a technician, he recalled the TTL working on his D70. But the forums support your statement completely. I guess he wasn't really into it at that stage.

The 400 sounds more practical for my needs, but just isn't in the offing.

I have a large flash from year dot. It works well, but someone on this forum I think, suggested that there might be large voltages across the trigger circuit. There were: 200v ! I never risked it again. The adapter cost $25:{

I do feel the little on-board flash is inadequate. I was at a large party here in Austin, and I just was not getting that zest to the picture that I expected. The 'new' flash really fills in the contrasty areas, or floods the dark corners if you want. It's throttled back for most of the range, for most of the time, so doesn't use much of its own power and saves a lot of camera battery life while it's at it of course.

One problem is that I don't have a manual. I'm searching the net, but so far am getting caught up in blog-like over complexity. My pal has the manual to the 800 and may find this one.

One clear statement on a forum was that you have a lot to learn - so take the manual even when you think you're up to speed on the device. The way my memory is, I'll have it mounted on me specs.

Bushfiva
27th Jul 2009, 08:53
www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-800.pdf (http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-800.pdf)
www.nikonusa.com/pdf/SB800_techniques.pdf (http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/SB800_techniques.pdf)

Lots of other stuff there.

If you leave the thing in i-TTL and use some bounce flash, you'll get automagically great photos most of the time. You can also mess around with a business card and/or cheap diffuser to control the light to your liking. Plenty of cheap/free ways to get the effect you need. The business card goes down the slot at the top of the flash lens, for example.

I don't have the D50 so I'm guessing a little, but I think you'll get i-TTL balanced fill flash with the SB-800 and CPU lenses as long as you use matrix and center-weighted metering, otherwise standard i-TTL with non-CPU lenses and in other metering modes.

green granite
27th Jul 2009, 10:20
Don't know what's wrong with these things. :E

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2593371699_ce173635d7.jpg

frostbite
27th Jul 2009, 11:46
Don't know what's wrong with these things.

Clearly not low energy and environmentally friendly, is what.

green granite
27th Jul 2009, 13:12
I wouldn't call an electronic flash low energy either. :)

Loose rivets
27th Jul 2009, 17:35
Ooo err...I've just overheard my son's conversation with his pal, the vendor. He said something about having noticed just how much the 800 is fetching on the second-hand market. I just have to offer him the chance to back out of the deal. One wait's with bated breath.

Thanks for the links, I'll be armed with a bit more information before seeing the guy this PM.

The 28 just will not work in TTL mode, so I'll pass on that one as well if I feel morally obliged to back off the other deal. It will be a very short flirtation with flash photography. :suspect:

I could build an interface for the old one, using a voltage-capping diode to protect my camera. But, it would go on a list of jobs to do in this lifetime.

Bushfiva
27th Jul 2009, 23:46
The SB-400 is around $115 from Amazon.

Loose rivets
28th Jul 2009, 00:36
DON'T TELL MY WIFE!

I've just walked in with the 800, having given every opertunity for the vendor to back out of the deal. Will report when I get back home and have time to play with it.

Bushfiva
28th Jul 2009, 01:05
You may want to reset the flashgun to wipe out any customizations the previous owner did: turn the flash on, then press and hold "mode" and "on/off" for 3 seconds or so. The command's difficult to find in the manual, but it's also printed on the flip-up for the bounce head.

Loose rivets
28th Jul 2009, 04:12
That sounds like a good idea, thanks. It seems to go, but it will take some time with the manual to get it under control.