PDA

View Full Version : 777 Delivery Flights

Lemon Drop
27th Jul 2009, 00:15
Who's typically onboard a delivery flight from Seattle? Is there a full crew of flight attendants or do you "ferry" the a/c to Hong Kong? Not a loaded question..

Well maybe loaded with curiosity I suppose. Thanks-

LD

quadspeed
27th Jul 2009, 05:34
.... about 50 to 60 passengers on board, sometimes even including a Cathay Pacific chairman...

Airline pilot sacked for 777 Top Gun stunt ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/25/777_flypast/)

freightdog188
27th Jul 2009, 07:50
the video is back on youtube ... the genie popped outta the bottle again

YouTube - Cathay Pacific 777 300ER Low Pass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bp2V-rEnsY)

1200firm
27th Jul 2009, 13:20
The only qualfication to do one of these delivery flights is that you must have done one before. Richard "GEAR" (pins) wasn't known as the gynacologist for nothing.(did all the deliveries)

nitpicker330
28th Jul 2009, 03:01
Yes it takes a special Pilot to be able to 1/ be wined and dined by Boeing 2/ attend a baseball game in the Boeing corp suite and finally 3/ fly the 777 from Everett to HKG with "VIP's" on board.

Yep, we line crew couldn't do that!!

VR-HFX
28th Jul 2009, 09:43

In the world of Coles Japanese-speaking check-out chicks... they are called Fry-Buys!

jonathon68
28th Jul 2009, 13:58
I believe the policy in both CX and KA is that a Management pilot has to be the Commander for a delivery flight.

The remainder of the cockpit crew can be anyone qualified. Each fleet office has a request list, and if you don't put your name on the list then you are unlikely to get a delivery flight. Having your name on the list does not give you "first come, first served" status, since crews seem to be a balance of long serving trainers/checkers and the "chosen few".

I have heard from some crews that a "delivery" is a nice break from the routine, but not just a simple "trip out with the lad's" (and/or ladies) to pick up a new jet. Many trips require dinners/cocktails etc with Management/Manufacturer/Invited guests etc. Any face time with Management, is a game of chance where you run the risk of getting your foot stuck in your mouth! :oh:

Cabin crew selected for the flight are the "chosen few"

Humber10
28th Jul 2009, 14:13
what about that 'rainbow warrior' then.... :}

buggaluggs
28th Jul 2009, 14:24
"since crews seem to be a balance of long serving trainers/checkers and the "chosen few"."

Does sort of make you wonder why they bother even having a list then doesn't it! :mad:

Basil
28th Jul 2009, 15:21
Any face time with Management, is a game of chance where you run the risk of getting your foot stuck in your mouth!
Excellent point and well worth considering.
In any case, one of my employers always sent a fleet technical manager and carried out an acceptance flight before signing for the ship. Meant minor snags which would have encroached on revenue time were fixed before delivery.

Hellenic aviator
30th Jul 2009, 00:54
I can only speak from my personal experience, having flown on two delivery flights.

On both flights we had passengers - mainly travel agents from Asia, a few Managers (non flying) from CX (e.g. Managers from Accounting), ground engineers from various outports and their wives, test pilots, and technical engineers that accept the plane with a 'clean bill of health' and the pilots wives/girlfriends.

On both flights, the Captain in the left seat that was also the PF was Management, the bloke in the right seat was an STC and the other two seats were occupied by two F/Os, though S/Os have been chosen in the past.

There are formal dinners to attend in the evenings, during the day there is a set 'schedule' of things to do and see. E.g. Museum of Flight, Boeing Museum at Everett, tour of the Boeing factory (though now they've reduced the tour - you don't walk on the factory floor anymore).

All in all, it's a great experience.

The only 'negative' (personally) was taking the travel agents back as they seemed to do their own thing once onboard. Since it is not a revenue flight, the Captains decided to have the flightdeck door remain open at all times. So travel agents would come to visit the flightdeck at inconvenience times, start taking snap shots with flash and ask questions such as during a position report, or when you are receiving a long clearance that required a full read back. Granted, it''s not their fault as they are not aware of what we do whilst sitting up front - it seemed strange since I am used to having the flightdeck door closed whenever I am carrying passengers. One travel agent managed to damage their table in Y class (whilst taxying for departure).

How were we chosen for the flights? We sent an internal e-mail to the Chief Pilot's secretary expressing an interest. That's all.

If you have an opportunity, it's worth going - at least you can say you've done one in your career.

:)

Azamat Bagatov
30th Jul 2009, 06:39
Well, what I find very frustrating, is that although this 'list' is available where one can advise the 'office', during a considerable amount of time on the 777 I am yet to be invited/rostered for a delivery flight...Oops.. this includes a personal email to PE.....

Edited to reflect anger management procedure successful as per reply below.
Breathe in.. breathe out ...:)

Rook
30th Jul 2009, 07:04
Maybe it's your super fun attitude.

Azamat Bagatov
30th Jul 2009, 20:58
Actually Rook, though my reply to the topic above, in hindsight, did seem a little 'tense' it was supposed to be genuine. Diplomatically speaking, a delivery flight IS something special and it is disheartening to hear of some getting rostered twice (no gripes with those individuals,on the contrary) where others would love just one opportunity to experience this. But I guess there's no guarantee anyway - so many crew, so few delivery flights in comparison...would be nice though.

Hey, thanks for putting it that way. Must have been the locals almost bowling me over trying to get out of a lift minutes before my previous reply...breathe in, breathe out :) Okay, I'm fine now....gasp !.
We must not have operated on an overnight if you need to query me about 'fun'. :ok:
Cheers

jonathon68
31st Jul 2009, 03:08
during a considerable amount of time on the 777 I am yet to be invited/rostered for a delivery flight

Hmm... get some time in son, lots of 777 veterans on that list in the office.

There are 7 deliveries scheduled before next summer, followed by another 12 in the period 2011-2013. Additionally CX has the purchase rights on a further 20 after 2014, so there should be lots of chances in the future.

Incidentally, there was also a list for the disposal flights for the 772's, when it looked like they were going to fly off to the desert.

I guess that the only guaranteed way to get your self a delivery (or disposal) flight would be to go into Management... :{

nitpicker330
31st Jul 2009, 08:21
I've had my name down for a delivery flight for 7 years......................nuttin.

Unless you are prepared to sell your sole into training then forget it ( for a line Capt )

mephisto88
31st Jul 2009, 08:46
sell your sole??

They are welcome to have my worn out sole - both of them!
but I think I'll keep my soul, although Liz Hurley would make me think twice - Bedazzled (2000) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230030/)

As an aside, I was rostered for a Boeing delivery flight a while ago, I wasn't management or check & training, and sometimes not even flavour of the month. So don't give up hope boys, just put your name down and keep your fingers crossed.

badairsucker
31st Jul 2009, 10:31
Unless you are prepared to sell your sole

Try selling them some cod or even monk fish.

:D

nitpicker330
31st Jul 2009, 13:02
I see you spotted my deliberate spelling error !!

Cough cough :}