PDA

View Full Version : Day Before Check-In, How does it work?

EGTI
26th Jul 2009, 10:13
At LGW, my airline is one that offers a 'Day-before check-in':

Gatwick Airport: Day-before check-in (http://www.gatwickairport.com/portal/page/Gatwick%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ECheck+in%5EDay-before+check-in/fcb0f80345a3a110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/)

How does this system work logistically/practically?

I presume it is simply if I check in the day before, my luggage is sent to a 'holding area' in the baggage sort and the next day (day of departure) the luggage is added to the luggage being checked in prior to the flight?

I'm sure there's a simple explaination. :)

Malone
27th Jul 2009, 09:18
Yes, I believe that is right. I have used it several times and have never had a problem. In fact I think this baggage is actually the first to be loaded.

bondim
27th Jul 2009, 10:35
Which airline are you travelling with?

A2QFI
27th Jul 2009, 14:01
If it is first to be loaded it could be last to be off - not a great adavantage if time bothers you

Malone
27th Jul 2009, 15:03
True, your bag may be last off, but it does mean that the chance of it actually being there is better. I have been told that it takes about 15 minutes for a bag to be processed through the sortage system, then it has to be delivered to the aircraft which can take some time if you are leaving in the morning "rush hour" at Gatwick. If you leave it until the last minute to put your bag in you are tempting fate a bit. This is one of the reasons that BA brought their check-in closing time back from 30 mins to 45.

EGTI
27th Jul 2009, 15:25
Flying TOM.

Believe its Swissport that provides ground services/handling.

Thanks for the replies everyone, not too fussed about time reclaiming luggage at destination, although its always nice to leave promptly!

ExXB
27th Jul 2009, 16:07
I've noticed that most airlines in Geneva allow you to check in the night before (Except Squeezy, of course, and a certain British Airline). Bags are x-rayed and security checked - but have never had a bag go missing when I've done this.

How does it work? Who cares? It does work!