PDA

View Full Version : Non-booting hard disk

labrador pup
24th Jul 2009, 21:37
Hi folks

I've just had a Seagate hard disk returned from i365 (Seagate data recovery agent) with new firmware after it bricked. All the data is there :) but it won't boot :*. I've tried Windows repair disk and a couple of programmes I downloaded (EasyBCD and VistaBootPro) but no success. :ugh:

I have another bootable drive in the computer so can run Vista. Does anyone have any ideas about what else I can try? I don't want to re-install Vista as some of the programmes on the disk have a limited number of times they can be installed (and as I cannot boot from the disk I cannot uninstall them.)

Thanks for any help.

Avtrician
25th Jul 2009, 03:12
Sounds like the MBR (Boot information) has been removed, may be using the installation CD you can go to the repair function (If its Vista, not sure if this works) when at the prompt, type "fixmbr" vollowed by "fixboot" leave out the quote marks. type "exit" and reboot. Hope this may be of some help.

twiggs
25th Jul 2009, 05:44
Have you tried this? (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx)

FN-GM
25th Jul 2009, 20:53
Hi,

I work in IT so might be of some help.

What message do you get when you try and boot. You might have to change the boot order in the computer BIOS.

Keef
25th Jul 2009, 23:32
What error message do you get (exactly) when you try to boot from this one?

My inclination would be to "clone" it, then try to repair the clone. I've had good success in the past with the install DVD, not in "repair" mode but in "fresh install". It then finds the previous install and asks if you want to fix it. for some reason, that works a lot better than the repair option (for me, anyway).

But if there is a load of critical stuff on the original drive, I'd not risk that on the original. A clone would/should do it.

Mac the Knife
26th Jul 2009, 05:22
Partition probably isn't set active.

:ok:

Shunter
26th Jul 2009, 05:55
Bootloader repair commands have changed in Vista.

Boot the Vista DVD. Choose country. Next. Choose keyboard. Next.
Don't choose "install now" but "system recovery options". If it is proposed
to repair at the end of the search, answer "no". Deselect all lines and click
"next". Choose "command prompt".

Useful commands:
bootrec /fixmbr (rewrite master boot record)
bootrec /fixboot (repair bootloader components)
bootrec /rebuildbcd (rebuild bootloader configuration)

None of those will do any damage to the existing install, but unplug your working Vista disc to prevent it getting confused during a boot config rebuild.

PS Vista sucks :)

labrador pup
31st Jul 2009, 18:21
Hi folks

Thanks for your help. I had tried most of these ideas but they weren't working. I mentioned to someone who was helping me that when the replacement HDD was installed the DELL guy updated the BIOS. My helper thought that he could do something to the BIOS in case that was causing the problem and removed the button battery to look for some jumpers, which he couldn't find. But low and behold when the battery was replaced the computer booted from the original HDD and everything is now working perfectly. :ok:

It appears it had nothing to do with the boot files and that was why all the messing about with boot manager etc wasn't working.

So if you come across a HDD that is not booting, try removing the button battery - it might just work.

Sprogget
31st Jul 2009, 20:31
Sounds like remove battery, reset cmos?