View Full Version : Anti Ice for Tail control surfaces

Robin Jain
24th Jul 2009, 15:16
Why there is no anti icing for tail control surface like Stabilizer
Regards
robin

SNS3Guppy
24th Jul 2009, 16:45
To which aircraft do you refer? Most aircraft which are equipped with anti-ice do in fact have ice protection for the horizontal, and sometimes the vertical stabilizer.

Tailplane stalls, and tailplane icing, has been one of the hottest topics in ice buildup, protection, and the handling of icing emergencies, for the past few years.

Robin Jain
25th Jul 2009, 02:01
I am talking about all Boeing series modren aircraft specifically Boeing 737-NG. Also give me name of some Modren comercial aircraft which have anti icing for tail surfaces.

Regards
Robin

munster
25th Jul 2009, 05:09
emb 145
f100

NutLoose
25th Jul 2009, 19:10
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/128968-b-727-tailplane-icing.html

prattgamco
26th Jul 2009, 08:58
The tail plane usually have no anti icing system.theory says the engine exhaust is more than enough to prevent ice formation on horizontal stab.but on v.stab, i have no idea.may b airflow velocities low compare to wings and fwd fuselage.

ivor toolbox
29th Jul 2009, 17:44
Of course, for the 'hot air' exhaust theory to work depends on the aircraft configuration,where the engines are located in relation to the tail etc; however; the correct answer would be
because flight testing showed the aeroplane able to cope with icing of the tail without the need for anti-icing.

ttfn