PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Department Shafting.

nick murry
24th Jul 2009, 13:09
Hi guys,

Just a quick one to all the boys/girls who have been here for a while.

My fiancé has joined me from Australia. Prior to arriving she had completed a respected online English teaching course.

Eventually she found an employer whom agreed to sponsor her so she may receive an ‘Employment Visa’. The company then applied for the visa on her behalf with all the required documents.

A letter came back advising "Knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in the HKSAR blah blah blah, we are not satisfied that XXXX case meets the aforesaid criteria. Remain as a visitor until...."

I know a lot of the girls opt to teach English when they get here... any tips out there or has anyone managed to get around it?

I know the quick way would just to stop stalling and get hitched lol ;)

Thank you in advance.

hongkongfooey
25th Jul 2009, 08:14
I know the quick way would just to stop stalling and get hitched lol http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Nick, I know people who have gone to the registry office and done this to avoid all the crap that comes with living in sin in HK :E
HK does not recognise Defacto or Fiancee.
If she is under 30 there is a special visa she can apply for, but I think it only lasts a year ( I'm sure someone can correct me ).
The only other way, which I would not advise is working illegally and leaving HK every 3 months, there are plenty of employers around here that will offer " cash " work, of course if she gets caught you are both in a world of hurt.
You can do what a mate did, get married, tell none of the family, then on the big day pretend it's the first time.

Welcome to Hong Kong :ugh: ( you will be doing plenty of this :ugh:

christep
25th Jul 2009, 13:34
If she is under 30 there is a special visa she can apply for, but I think it only lasts a year ( I'm sure someone can correct me ).That would be a Working Holiday Visa (http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_holiday.htm), and yes it only lasts for a year.

Frogman1484
28th Jul 2009, 02:12
There are some companies here in Hong Kong that will create a position for you partner which can only be filled by her. You pay them un upfront fee of about 8K and then they get the visa, they hold the visa and you pay them 2-3K per month.

In the meanwhile you set up a company to teach english, you will have to run it like a business. After 12-24 months, you should then get the visa transfered to the business.

Or

Just get married

ArthurBorges
28th Jul 2009, 06:21
Alternatively, your fiancée can seek employment with a school in Shenzhen and live there -- there are direct coaches from HK airport to Shenzhen. It is best to have a government school (primary, secondary or post-secondary) as your primary employer. Salary should be CNY 5,000 to 6,000 per mo. + free flat, utilities, local calls & Internet link against a 16-hour weekly teaching load.

If she seeks in the private sector, she will be working evenings and weekends, and some private employers are of very moderate honesty whereas if a government school commits a breach of contract, she can appeal to the Foreign Experts' Bureau, who will come down hard on the school if she has a case and can document it.

Try Dave's ESL Cafe (http://www.daveseslcafe.com) for starters -- they're hiring now for September and October starts.

Captain TOGA
28th Jul 2009, 17:11
This thread is useless without pictures (of the fiancée)...

Liam Gallagher
29th Jul 2009, 03:31
Check your PM's:}

Captain TOGA
29th Jul 2009, 14:38
Checked PM's -nothing there...