PDA

View Full Version : Bleriot - 100 yrs ago

PPRuNeUser0139
24th Jul 2009, 12:01
According to French TV lunchtime news an attempt will be made tomorrow (Sat) to re-create the epic cross-channel flight by Louis Bleriot 100 yrs ago ..
The aircraft is a replica of the Bleriot XI and its ETD is set for 6-7am. The main event will be preceded by the launch of a half scale model Bleriot XI to be controlled from a microlight.. The ETD for this is 3.42am..
If anyone's in the Dover area tomorrow it might be worth keeping an eye open.

chevvron
24th Jul 2009, 13:12
51 years ago I was at school camp at St Mary's Bay on Romney Marsh. The London - Paris Air Race was in full swing and I remember many different types of aircraft passing (in addition to the Bristol Frighteners from Ferryfield) including at least one Bleriot original/replica - presumably not intending to get to Paris though!

PPRuNeUser0139
25th Jul 2009, 13:22
Il y a 100 ans, Blriot dcollait - France - LCI (http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/france/0,,4497585,00-il-y-a-100-ans-bleriot-decollait-.html)

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2009, 11:56
From the Telegraph this morning:

IT was a cruel blow that killed a pilots' dream. At 5.30pm yesterday, Mikael Carlson was waiting near Calais to fly to Dover in an original aeroplane of the type used in the first cross-Channel flight exactly 100 years ago.

The 50-year-old Swede was looking forward to recreating the flight completed by Louis Bleriot on July 25, 1909. It was to be the highlight of a two-day celebration to mark the centenery of the pioneering Frenchmans' achievement. But as thousands of spectators gathered to cheer Mr. Carlsons' take-off and landing in the Bleriot X1 that he had found in a barn on remote farmland 23 years ago, dismantled and lovingly restored, the flight was abruptly cancelled.

The French authorities decided that, although it was a beautiful sunny evening, the winds were too strong and the centenery flight could not go ahead. Mr. Carlson was grouded. He may be allowed to take off today. The decision was all the more painful for Mr. Carlson because, while his was the nominated centenery flight, two French pilots had earlier been allowed to fly their Bleriot X1s - one an original and one a replica - across the Channel.

The Swede was livid at the decision and felt he had been "stitched up" by the French...............

Any comments?

learjet50
26th Jul 2009, 12:04
The french are the french

Say no more

Albert Driver
26th Jul 2009, 13:50
A very strong southerly wind was causing savage gusts across the cliffs at Dover all afternoon. Up at the Duke of York's School only the bravest were attempting to land on the temporary airstrip.
Sadly I would have to say it was a good decision to ground the attempt at that time.

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2009, 14:06
Er, excuse me!

The guy was attempting to depart the UK.

Wossat got to do with Frog crap?

Albert Driver
26th Jul 2009, 14:54
Er, Non.
He was upstaged by someone else on an earlier fight astutely carried out in the calm of early morning.

David Roberts
26th Jul 2009, 21:45
I spoke at length with MC after his arrival this morning at the temporary airfield set up at the Duke of Yorks' Military School on the high ground behind the Dover cliffs.

His cross channel flight had been planned for the Saturday evening for (a) likely better wind conditions (he was right about that) and (b) to get the timing to cross Dover during the gala dinner reception at Dover Castle, ahead of the Red Arrows flight past at 19.00 Dover time.

Considering how he was 'cornered' or 'upstaged' by the French management of the airfield at Sangatte I think he was amazingly philosophical today. But it was obviously a great disappointment to him, after years of planning, to be treated this way,and totally unjust to such a nice person whose devotion to the Bleriot history should be applauded, by ALL nations. To his and his crew's credit, they dismantled the Bleriot XI yesterday evening / night, trailered it to the main Calais airfield where this morning a co-operative airfield management allowed him to take off for Dover.

The DT covers the story, below:

Attempt to recreate Louis Bleriot's Channel crossing grounded - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5908559/Attempt-to-recreate-Louis-Bleriots-Channel-crossing-grounded.html)

The action by the French local management at the first airfield was in stark contrast to all the other French people I met in Dover over the last 2 days, including M. Louis Bleriot, the grandson. They couldn't have been more charming and supportive of the celebrations on this side of 'la manche'.

Wycombe
26th Jul 2009, 22:10
Anyone any pics of the set-up for this at the Duke of Yorks?

As a former "inmate", I'd be very interested to see how it was done, only ever got the occasional rotary visitor during my time, leaving aside the Harrier GR3 which once came to visit for a weekend!

David Roberts
26th Jul 2009, 22:16
When I have downloaded my pics in the morning I'll try and post a few of the DoY's Military School etc today

kluge
29th Jul 2009, 17:39
Where's Sir Percy Ware-Armitage when you need him

WHBM
30th Jul 2009, 11:05
I was travelling by sea that day Calais-Dover on the MV Rodin of SeaFrance. They have mounted a surprisingly substantial display on the ship to commemorate the Bleriot anniversary, with plenty of enlarged photographs from the original flight.

I got the feeling the display is there for the season rather than short-term. Not sure if other SeaFrance ships have the same displays.