PDA

View Full Version : Air Travel Demand from Hong Kong

FlyingMoggy2
24th Jul 2009, 11:41
Hello all, i am completing a thesis paper at university on strategic alliance based in Hong Kong. I will be setting up a model for a theoretical alliance and comparing it with how Cathay Pacific is setting up their alliance. There are some information that i am unable to obtain as it requires a subscription with ICAO in the orders of $8000AUD. I would be greatful if someone who might have access could retrieve the information for me. The information i am after is the air travel demand in city pairs with Hong Kong from around the world. I am after the statistical demand rather than the generated demand from the actual flights.

I have completed a fair amount of research and cannot locate anything of its sort, if someone could point me in the right direction it'll be greatly appreciated.

Moggy

gengis
24th Jul 2009, 12:24
Perhaps you might try the IATA website? "International Air Transport Association"

FlyingMoggy2
24th Jul 2009, 15:31
I've looked through the IATA resrouces as well, there are certain papers that might contain the information but each paper is over $1000USD. Its out of my budget range for a university paper.

AD POSSE AD ESSE
25th Jul 2009, 04:57
Its out of my budget range for a university paper.

NO MONEY = NO HONEY:{

FlyingMoggy2
25th Jul 2009, 06:07
Yeah having more money always helps :E Just want to see if anyone might know some rare resources that has the information i can't find.

Master Caution
25th Jul 2009, 10:06
How about the HK Govt ATLA - Airline Transport Licencing Authority - I think it is called or the Transport Dept.:ok:

FlyingMoggy2
25th Jul 2009, 11:12
Thats a great idea actually. Do you know how i can contact the Gereal Manager Airline Planning at CX?

VR-HFX
26th Jul 2009, 12:59
FM2

Most young people these days assume that everything can be found in Wikipedia and on Google and requires not an ounce of effort and creative thinking. I know this because I have a number of offspring in your age group and your question is the type of question they often direct at me.

Sit down and ask yourself where the data you are looking for comes from in its raw form. The people that are willing to sell you this for $8,000 must get it from somewhere.

Well, as far as HK is concerned (before the days of internet time travel), the data was pretty easily gleaned from the daily newspaper (when the SCMP was worth reading). The list of airline daily arrivals and departures would immediately give you the rough capacity on each route served out of HK. Now capacity may not be the same as 'statistical demand' but I can guarantee you that ailrines don't fly empty a/c between cities for extended periods of time without adjusting frequency and capacity.

Today you can get all the flights and a/c types off the CLK Airport Website.

Do some rough numbers and come to some conclusions yourself. Make some estimates of load factors and factor in economic conditions etc etc. You may find to your amazement that you get amazingly close to any estimates that ICAO are willing to sell you.

You will find that if you then write to someone for some help and clarification, they will be more than happy to help based on the fact you have already put in some effort.

To ask other people to do all the homework when a lot of raw data is in the public domain for free is like asking your dad to do your homework....or in the words of my late dad..like asking a pig to sing. It is unlikley to help you and will most certainly annoy the pig.

Good luck.

FlyingMoggy2
27th Jul 2009, 08:39
VR-HFX

I understand how i can deduce the information from from raw airport data, however with a university thesis anything i deduce from raw data from a secondary source would be view with extreme scrutiny, particularly if the results differ from published data. I have previously studied engineering thus i am no stranger to setting up data collection methods and analysis work. Please understand that i am writing an 80 page thesis and i am not in a category of wiki/googling or asking others to complete my work. I am also in the process of setting up an online survey to acquire some primary data to work with.

These data i am looking for will form a part of how i intend to model an airline alliance, however if i cannot find a credible source i have already planned a work around to still be able to set up a model.

Just another question for someone working in CX. Is there a department or manager that specifically works on strategic alliances? I have looked through the CX website, but the only positions listed are the senior management. Thank you for any assistance.

Lowkoon
27th Jul 2009, 11:00
Sorry mr Tyler, you are going to have to pay for it. :}

FlyingMoggy2
27th Jul 2009, 14:15
Time to break out the piggy bank :sad: On another note i found the position name, as General Manager: Alliance. But the only information i found was Chitty Cheung was appointed the position some 8 years ago... I will call into CX tomorrow to see who is currently in the position :O

On the beach
29th Jul 2009, 10:08
Hi FlyingMoggy2,

Go to - Civil Aviation Department Homepage (http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/home.html)

Then on the list on the left select "Hong Kong Schedule Coordination Office".

From the HKSCO page select "Slot listing", then download the "Summer/Winter 2009 scheduled" and you will find all your city pairing schedules for not only Cathay but all the airlines operating into Hong Kong.

If you then take a look at the next tab "Slot availability" and click on the "Runway Movement Charts" you will get some histograms showing the excess demand and at what times of the day this occurs. If you multiply the excess traffic by the landing fees you will be able to calculate how much money the Airport Authority of Hong Kong is losing by not keeping pace with the demand. Believe me it is a big number.

Next tab down gives the "Capacity Declaration" and if you have a look at the numbers there you will see that the capacity is slowly increased each 6 months.

If you want to be really clever then run all the numbers through a computer increasing them with the predicted growth of air traffic and you will find out when Hong Kong needs a new airport!! It's sooner than everyone thinks.

Hope this helps you. If you need more help just ask.

On the beach

VR-HFX
29th Jul 2009, 13:29
FM2

OK. I suggest you send a nicely worded email to the following people.

1. John McCulloch - Managing Partner One World based in Vancouver.

[email protected]

2. Andrew Herdman - Director General AAPA (Assn of Asia Pacific Airlines) based in KL.

[email protected]

Both are ex-Cathay people and I believe they may help be able to help point you in the right direction.

FlyingMoggy2
29th Jul 2009, 14:14
On the beach: Thanks a lot :) (by the way, which beach are you on?)

VR-HFX: Could you please PM me those 2 email address? its showing up as invalid hash here.

On the beach
29th Jul 2009, 17:06
FM2,

Any beach will do, Noosa, Jumeira, St. Tropez, but not Blackpool.

On the beach :ok: