PDA

View Full Version : Rex ruled the world's best regional carrier

TheOtherGuy
24th Jul 2009, 09:12
Rex ruled the world's best regional carrier | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25824763-23349,00.html)

KRUSTY 34
24th Jul 2009, 09:38
Nice to see a good news REX post 'Otherguy.

Are you sure you don't work for them?

snoop doggy dog
24th Jul 2009, 16:03
CX wins awards for a lot of things as well :bored:

I wonder how?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TheOtherGuy
24th Jul 2009, 20:48
Absolutely guaranteed I don't work for them!

Mr.Buzzy
24th Jul 2009, 23:22
Everyone gets a ribbon at the Special Olympics......

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

VH DSJ
24th Jul 2009, 23:45
"Rex placed first in liquidity, financial health and asset management categories," the survey judges said.

Well what do you expect when they pay their pilots peanuts? :E

neville_nobody
25th Jul 2009, 00:09
Compared to US regionals REX actually pay very well!!

KRUSTY 34
25th Jul 2009, 00:20
That's true Nev'. OZ however tends to lag 5-10 years behind the U.S.

We can see what's happening to the profession over there:sad:

The Original Jetpipe
25th Jul 2009, 02:07
What a load of @#$$%^!!!!!!! LKH must have paid for the write up!

bushy
25th Jul 2009, 06:55
Ansett was ranked by one of those surveys as number two in the world, ahead of Qantas. It was shut down not long after that.

apache
25th Jul 2009, 07:21
Compared to the US, Aussies pay three times as much tax, twice as much for their petrol/gas.... and the pilots get a LOT more support!
Add to that the fact that one can get a regional gig with about 400 hours,dental and medical cover as well as good superannuation/redundancy plans and the US looks a lot better than just dollars and cents comparison.

Wod
25th Jul 2009, 07:27
Tall poppy syndrome anyone?

mcgrath50
25th Jul 2009, 22:54
Congrats to REX but when their score was 58 (ish?) out of 80 and their nearest competitor was in the 30s it is more of a sad reflection on the regional industry than a time to celebrate!

FlyingChipmunk
26th Jul 2009, 02:08
Does that mean that I work with the Best:
Regional Airline Chairman
Regional Airline Captain
Regional Airline First Officer
Regional Airline Flight Attendant
and the list goes on......
in the WHOLE UNIVERSE?

Dangnammit
26th Jul 2009, 03:06
Yes. Yes it does! :D

:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

Fr8dog44
26th Jul 2009, 22:59
Apache,

I'm an unemployed US Pilot and let me tell you ..... you are sadly mistaken!!! Right now you have it better than we do! Taxi Cab drivers earn more than we do and get treated with much more respect! It's rare that we get any Bennies at all! As far as Income Taxes, it's about the same. The difference is, you guys pay through the nose for your consumer goods...... that's where you get hit! I know, I've been to OZ 5 times, I'm very acquainted with your country and would prefer to live there rather than here in the States. As someone wrote "OZ is about 5 years behind the US". So if what is happening here to US aviation professionals drifts in your direction, wait!. The worse is yet to come!

Most charter guys are being taken off salary and reduced to contract pilots. Which means, no fly/no pay. And no benefits either. I'm going to put a link here for you guys to take a look at. But most of all, read the blogs if you want to see just how "John Q Public" views pilots!

Airline crews call LAX parking lot home - Smart Spending Blog - MSN Money (http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/07/23/airline-crews-call-lax-parking-lot-home.aspx)

KRUSTY 34
27th Jul 2009, 00:10
Gidday Fr8dog44.

It's an absolute travesty what has happended to the profession over there. It was I who mentioned that OZ lags 5 years behind the U.S. and as such I am very concerned that we have some way to go on the downward spiral. You guys have had some terrible luck. 911, SARS, GFC. Not to say that we weren't affected here, but it appears that the opportunistic "revolving door" management types had no hesitation in using these event to serve their own agendas. All at the expense of hard working professional pilots.

Pilots generally love to fly more than most anything else. Quite often that is the only way to get ahead. As such we are our own worst enemies. We all know that. Successive short term pencil pushers have used this passion and dedication to serve their own ends for decades. With all due respect, the result of these rapeings in the U.S. hopefully will serve as a wakeup to what lengths airline managements will go.

Stay united boys and girls. Otherwise we run the risk of going down the path of of our U.S. collegues.

Falling Leaf
27th Jul 2009, 00:45
With all due respect, the result of these rapeings in the U.S. hopefully will serve as a wakeup to what lengths airline managements will go.

Krusty, sadly I don't think this will happen until we see two things:
1. A lot more Colgan style accidents with associated body bags and adverse media, and
2. A significant reduction in the number of starry eyed newbies coming into the industry, which is possible with the contraction in credit and student loans (need to borrow all that cash to get started...)

Remember, there is widespread 'rapings' throughout all industry at the moment, especially in US, with REAL unemployment probably in excess of 20%.

IMHO, the public won't have any significant sympathy for regional pilots, when everyone is doing it tough. Same applies here Downunder.

Fr8dog44
28th Jul 2009, 01:10
Hi Guys,

Yes you both make good points. I've been a pro-pilot for about 18 years and I've just about seen it all. With regard to the Colgan crash in Buffalo NY, I'm genuinely surprised we haven't seen more of those. I too have had a Middle Eastern Muslim as an F.O. and he absolutley sucked as a pilot but he got to keep his job because he caved in and volunteered major pay cuts and a lot of ass-kissing. Also, the Regionals are targeting for hire very young, very nieve pilots fresh out of school because they are as hungry as they are and don't know any better. Here, a four-year aviation program runs at least 100K US and starting pay is about $17-$18k / year. Most of us seasoned pilots reccon this will deter many newbies but when you drop that kind of cash, you'll take anyting to pay off the student loan, but we are seeing a reduction in new pilot starts. Maybe this is a good thing!

Years ago I had the fortunate pleasure of working along side Eastern Airline Pilots as a ski instructor before Frank Lorenzo destroyed it and aviation as a whole. It was these guys who cemented my ambition and desire to go pro. They truely were a great bunch of guys. These were pilots who loved what they did, were paid well and were genuinely happy, who demonstrated genuine comradery. Unfortunately, I have noticed that Aviation has been infultrated by lieing, back-stabbing a-holes who only care about themselves, who would sell their own mother down the tubes to further their carreer. As long as we have those types of pilots in aviation, we will never see or realize the kind of solidarity neccessary to bring about change for the better. A year ago I was being considered for REX until they changed their mind on hiring foreign pilots. Then I read what you chaps have been going thru with them. I can tell you this, they are modeling themselves after American Regionals, and beleive me, they're still not as bad ..... yet! We pilots need to do what's best for the whole, not just ourselves and we need to openly communicate with one another, especially to the newbies who are considering aviation.

As far as the body bags goes, upper management types really don't care about dead bodies, as long as it isn't theirs!! That's what insurance is for!! AND they get a new plane out of it!! :)~ John Q public unfortunatley has a very short memory. The Colgan accident has already blown over. But who knows.......

bigbrother
30th Jul 2009, 03:27
Well the door is now open as far as I'm concerned. I know a REX F/O who applied to J.S 8 weeks ago and has an interview pending already. One of the majority sick of waiting for a decent wage from REX. $42000-$45000 is rubbish and management better wake up before they have serious egg on thier faces. Pilots aren't trained in a week, and experience comes with years and years of flying.

KRUSTY 34
30th Jul 2009, 10:29
Very true BB, and it will only be the experienced pilots moving on. None of the new REX F/O's will be ready for command for at least 5 years, and unless there are changes to the Regs, that will be never!

The time to command is now back to 12 months, and that's during a period of almost zero pilot recruitment across the industry. Only Cadets are being offered positions at REX. Do the math! Once any number of Captains or upgradeable F/O's move on, REX will have to start cancelling services. They've done it before, and despite now having a total pilot complement of 270 (30 more than 2 years ago), the previously slashed services heve not been reinstated! That 270 does not include up to 50 Cadets in the wings. They will only add to REX's dilema

This is a train wreck waiting to happen. But hell, I've been banging on about it for more than 2 years, so I guess REX management can't say they haven't been warned.:=

Lester Burnham
30th Jul 2009, 23:30
Krusty - have you really been warning them? Or have you just been posting on an anonymous forum? You may well be right, but your starting to sound just a little bit arrogant mate. :ooh:

SIUYA
31st Jul 2009, 00:20
And the marksman of the year is........ Lester Burnham! :D

The 'usual suspects' will probably get a bit hissy have a bad hair day as a result of your opinions though! :}

Tidbinbilla
31st Jul 2009, 00:29
This thread no longer represents the original award thread.

Please continue your discussion on T&C's on the appropriate thread.