PDA

View Full Version : Americans in India?

NEDude
23rd Jul 2009, 16:47
A few quick questions for any Americans flying in India - particularly A320 captains for the likes of Indigo and Go Air.

1) After general living expenses, how much money can you actually save? I am single and after housing I can get by on $1500-$1800 per month here in the states. On a $10,000 per month contract, I know here in the states, if housing is covered, I could bank $8200-$8500 per month. Is that realistic in India?

2) How does the tax treaty between India and the USA work. Since your salary already includes payment of Indian taxes, do you still end up paying money to Uncle Sam?

3) How often do you get home and what are the best options for getting back?

Thanks in advance.

The divorce is finalized in three weeks and looking at options for post married life.

PT6A
23rd Jul 2009, 17:05
Have you actually been given a start date with either company?

As I don't think that any airlines here are taking more expats onto the 320 right now.

A few more expats coming on the ATR and 737's but thats about it I'm afraid.

On my contract the company pays the housing, an allowance of $1500 USD which is more than enough for the house and utility bills... leaving me with some to spend at the bar!

For the most part I bank all of my salary I spend very little here... flying too much!

My money is not going into the US and I'm not paid in India... So it is going direct from the agency into an offshore bank account.

PT6

NEDude
23rd Jul 2009, 17:42
No start date. Just starting to look around a bit.

Was under the impression Indigo was still taking expats on the 320, but haven't checked in a few weeks.

Still not sold on the going overseas thing anyway, but just want as much info as possible to make a decision.

Thanks.

JotaJota
23rd Jul 2009, 20:00
NED... Ex AWA? If you are, then come to China... PM me.

Other than that, it's very cheap to live overseas.... Good luck!