PDA

View Full Version : AOC ?? a strange request....

Ian the Aviator
23rd Jul 2009, 12:48
Hi everyone,

Perhaps a strange request, but has anyone got access to an AOC that I could use as a guide to helping produce a new AOC for a potential UK operator ?

Their plan (actually, more of an idea that a plan at this stage), is to initially offer pleasure flights, perhaps some photographic work and maybe banner towing with SEP aircraft.... Later they would like to expand into passenger (air taxi), ambulance flights and light freight using something like a Chieftain or KingAir.

If anyone has an example of the required documents (AOC, Ops manuals, etc) that I could use as a guide / example I would be very grateful.....

Many thanks...

JB007
23rd Jul 2009, 13:27
There is a CAA publication, CAP360?! (i'd check that!) that will list and provide you with info needed for public transport ops.

Getting an AOC is a fairly huge task, if you or your friend are serious, I would recommend finding a consultant, lots of them in circulation usually retired Flight Ops inspectors - they will have a 'template' of all manuals required to the correct standard, naturally at a price!

Cheers
JB

Ian the Aviator
23rd Jul 2009, 15:24
Thanks JB007,

I think we've discovered that getting the paperwork sorted is a much bigger task than we originally thought.

When we get a bit further down the line I think we'll need to use a consultant but for now we're just tryng to get a better feel for how big a job the paperwork / approval side of things is likely to get.

Thanks again,

Ian.

JB007
23rd Jul 2009, 17:33
Ian,

And like everything in life, there are good and bad 'Consultants' - when the time comes PM me, I can give you some details of who would be best for your AOC size.

Cheers
JB

ShinjukuHustler
27th Jul 2009, 17:50
Be careful when choosing a consultant, there are many out there as our mod pointed out but this business is full of bullsh** artists of note.

Some of the so called consultants I've had the misfortune to come across were the biggest pretenders I've ever met and hadn't got a clue.

They pretend to have worked with this airline and that and were instumental in gaining such and such approvals etc.

They're not regulated and don't have to stand by the work they do for you (or don't do). In a past life we used some consultants for the same thing you're trying to do, get an AOC, and the mess they made was incredible, they actually set us back on our time frame and tried to pawn manuals off on us that weren't suitable. Not only had they not written them themselves, they were written in accordance with another regulatory authority's requirements i.e if you want a UK AOC don't go accepting any offers of consultancy from Americans etc.
They looked good on paper but monkeys in suits would have done a better job.

Especially these days, the aviation industry is awash with hacks looking for work and all posing as consultants.

Bottom line, check references thoroughly, find out where they've really been if you can and your local CAA might be a good place to get a good recommendation.

Best of luck with it.

Hustle On :ok:

Ian the Aviator
27th Jul 2009, 23:37
thanks to everyone for their advice and help - most useful....

at least we now know what a huge job it will be just to get the paperwork all sorted.... it's going to keep someone busy for a long time !!

Thanks again...