PDA

View Full Version : RAF Upavon

GGR
23rd Jul 2009, 12:30
I spent a couple of very happy years in Air Support Command Ops (ASCOC) way back in the early seventies. Upavon was very busy place despite its outward appearance of calm. Those who know history will know that this place was the birthplace of the RFC and home to Hugh Trenchard and all his glorious achievements. The bulk of the pilots from the 1914/18 war had trained here. The buildings and grounds were all in keeping with the time and all in all quite a magical place.I had occasion to visit Upavon this week on business and was excited at the prospect of seeing the old place again.
Since the RAF handed over to the Army the place is a disgrace. I do not level blame here on the current tennants but simply question how we could let such jewel in the crown of military history become so dilapidated and simply scruffy. I guess it becomes a finance casualty.

GGR

Amos Keeto
23rd Jul 2009, 13:29
Typical of a number of former RAF Stations. I was in the RAF at Upavon also, in 1 Group Operations during 1983-87. It was very smart and tidy even then and a great little camp.

avionic type
23rd Jul 2009, 13:59
Thank you for that grim news I was there in 1953/54 when it was Headquarters Transport Command and I was on its Comm Flt , we had a varied band of aircraft 4 mk19 Ansons 5 Chipmunks and 2 Tiger Moths the Ansons were for the CinC and and other senior officers to fly around in the UK the rest was so the Umpteen Group Captains and below to keep their flying hours up an continue to collect and keep their Flying pay . As I had come back from overseas working on Shackletons it was a bit of a comedown but I grew to like it as if anyone was going to London [Hendon ] the Groundcrew had first pick of spare places after who ever ordered the flight had had his share and all we had to do if the flight was on Friday morning was to put the covers on the engines and wheels have a great weekend home and prepare the a/c on Monday morning for the flight back , hardly any "bull" NO AOCs parades Best blue was always extra smart though as we sometimes flew with the Cin C on other stations AOC inspections [First in line for the midday meal oh joy]I was demobbed from there after 5 glorious years Ah Memories.!!!!

Bigt
23rd Jul 2009, 14:11
When I left in 1992....there was a massive rebuilding programme on the HQ building. It was being taken back to a basic shell for a complete re-wire and new double glazing for the new occupants. Sad to hear it has gone down hill since. There was of course the rather odd tale of the collapsing water tower...just after the Army said they didnt like it:ok::ok:

WE992
23rd Jul 2009, 19:15
Familiar story here - lack of investment from the thieves who are busy lining their pockets from epenses at a cost to all of us.

NutLoose
27th Jul 2009, 11:46
GGR

Just for you, they're old and they are grainy, but this is 240 OCU on its annual night flying phase at Upavon in the late 70's, though in some circles we were not popular :)

Enjoy :)

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=916&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=919&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=927&g2_serialNumber=2

GGR
2nd Aug 2009, 08:21
Thanks NL for your photos.

Many pictures of helicopters miss the point somehow but these really do show the movement and describe what is happening very well! The grainy aspect I think actually helps in this case.
Lurking in the background on one is the field landing strip we called the Gallops, so called as the Army used to train horses used for gun carriage work in WW1. Lyneham C- 130's practiced field landings here and we, for our sins got to dust off the ubiquitous runway caravan and dice with death whilst the boys from Lyneham had immense fun seeing how close they could get to said caravan. A circuit or two was the reward if you were lucky.

Standing next to a Hercules with take off power set holding on the brakes, in a field, was a sight I will never forget.
Thanks again.
GGR

JW411
3rd Aug 2009, 07:27
Upavon Gallops:

That brings back many memories of happy days attacking the Gallops with the Whistling Wheelbarrow (otherwise known as the HS Argosy). I seem to remember that the flints on the strip used to cause problems with the tyres.

I went over there one day with my new boss to check him out for strip landings. After a couple of landings, I got out and made my way to the runway caravan for a cup of tea while he went off on his own.

I was watching the boss's first approach through the binoculars when I suddenly saw a red flashing light in the lea of the row of trees by the road on very short finals. The red light was attached to an Army Scout helicopter which was just about to get airborne right in front of the boss!

It was too late for anyone to do anything. Luckily, the Scout got airborne just miliseconds after the Argosy passed over the top. It transpired that the Scout and crew had been camped-out for the night and were so well hidden that nobody knew they were there!

Entaxei
6th Aug 2009, 18:32
After a lifetime of involvement with aviation and computers, we were lucky enough to move to Upavon 4 years ago. John Prescott was threatening to shut it and Wilton for housing, which seems to have now receded as he did, there is still the cadet gliding school, but best of all we still get the Hercs on short strip practice, para dropping and Longbow apaches, Merlins and various choppers running around. The big far hanger, where they stored the caravans, is now diagnosed with concrete cancer, so presumably will be demolished without replacement- obviously we also get the big guns and morters on exercise with the armour and chain guns.

Finally I presume that all who served here will be pleased to know that The Ship and The Woodbridge (both refurb'd), The Antelope, Red Lion, Swan, etc., are all still alive and trading. Cheers :ok:

NutLoose
6th Aug 2009, 23:07
Sorry forgot about this one, looking past the tower towards Larkhill and all those frightfully noisy Army chappies :p

240 OCU pumas at rest :)

http://www.skonk.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1407&g2_serialNumber=1

Genghis the Engineer
7th Aug 2009, 10:56
After a lifetime of involvement with aviation and computers, we were lucky enough to move to Upavon 4 years ago. John Prescott was threatening to shut it and Wilton for housing, which seems to have now receded as he did, there is still the cadet gliding school, but best of all we still get the Hercs on short strip practice, para dropping and Longbow apaches, Merlins and various choppers running around. The big far hanger, where they stored the caravans, is now diagnosed with concrete cancer, so presumably will be demolished without replacement- obviously we also get the big guns and morters on exercise with the armour and chain guns.

Finally I presume that all who served here will be pleased to know that The Ship and The Woodbridge (both refurb'd), The Antelope, Red Lion, Swan, etc., are all still alive and trading. Cheers :ok:

I was one of the last ever livers-in at RAF Upavon Officers Mess (as an MoD civilian working for the RAF), just before it became army and I simultaneoulsy bought a house in Upavon village. A wonderful village for which I've still enormous affection, although I moved away some years ago.

One particular memory is being one of maybe a dozen left there who celebrated a small but poignient 75th birthday of the RAF in the mess.

I was very much a Ship regular - does it still do the massive steaks?

Another memory just came to me - working at BDN a few years later and needing a quiet spot to do some aircraft noise measurements. I phoned OC flying (a major I think, and a very pompous one) at Upavon to ask about setting up and using Upavon. His response: "don't you know this is a 4 start headquarters, don't be impertinent". So much for joined up defence!

G

avionic type
7th Aug 2009, 12:59
Thank you ENTAXEI for those uplifting words at least the old place is alive and kicking it would be tragic if it was demolished I only hope it has not been changed out of recognition [looking at Google I still recognise most of it ]I must drive down there and see it 1 more time before D.V.L.A. take my driving liecence away because of age [Thinks, I saw our Queens Coronation in the N.A.A.F.I via a projection T.V. soon after I was posted there ]

TheAvonClub1968
8th Aug 2009, 23:33
Does anyone remenber this club at weekends. I was one of three that started this with our own records/equipement (Plugged into th PA system) in 1967...
We did all of this at our own expense, but had agreat time until the success was taken away and a studio built... I was first introduced at the time as DLT's cousin (not true) Ha Ha, but it worked with the females...

GGR
10th Aug 2009, 16:17
Today the old Avon Club is the Sgts mess! I actually parked behind on my recent depressing trip previously entered in here. Where do I start.........myself and my late pal Ian Terry where the 2 DJ's at the Avon Club in 1970/71/72. Ian was a consumate fettler and built the new sound and light system along the back wall in the annex. We installed a stage and off we went! We had Jonny Walker, DLT, Alan Freeman, to name but 3 and as a result of these great radio names coming to Upavon Ian and me were hired to provide equipment at less well engineered places. look at www.manchesterbeat.com go to DJ page and find Graham Green. Name got changed to Green as Rothwell didnt come across too well on my brief but interesting Radio career. Ian eventually left to become pro and did really well in Home Counties and Hants. Sadly he was killed in a microlight crash in 1987, he had left the music business and was a well respected marine engineer based in Lymington Hants. Going back to the Avon Club, we also had some classy bands every other week booked via Tony Morton from Ace Music in Salisbury who also became our agent. Did a gig at Salisbury City hall with the Fortunes! wow big time..........:-) Keep the memories coming. Best to all ex Upavon crew.
GGR

Rocket2
11th Aug 2009, 09:42
For ENTAXEI & others all of the hangers are now vacated & are to be demolished when funds are available, the only building that remains occupied on the site is the Wyvern GC clubhouse (which I believe was the old Ops building / crew room) & a couple of garages to the rear. Sadly Wyvern GC & the Air Cadets have to operate out of a range of portakabins, trailers & ISO containers.
Such a shame but the airfield lives on.
R2

Entaxei
12th Aug 2009, 16:37
Thanks for the update R2, even when living in the village, you tend not to get information!. :ok:

Changing the subject slightly, in the dining room of the Antelope when we first came in 2005, there were a series of framed photographs around the wall, obviously taken during the war in a Wellington squadron, featuring takeoffs, personnel, etc.. During 2007/8 before the current landlord arrived, we had four wouldbe landlords, who came and went very quickly - during the same period all the photo's vanished - now the question is - does anybody know which squadron it was, I've checked Upavon's history and Wellingtons were never based here. Presumably it may be connected to one of the postwar licensees.

Cheers :ok:

giokev
25th Apr 2010, 09:04
Hi there
I am wondering if you can help me. I since came across a presentation cake set through a house clearance.
It as so much info but no enough to track down its owner or surviving relative.The set is engraved with RAF UPAVON SOUTH YORKS WING SUMMER CAMP 1984.
The underneath of the box as been signed by many people not sure if you rcognise anyone such as SGT Nadin R cpl D Wilson SGT Farra D Clarkson 2388 cpl P Andrew cpl Reedman there are so many more.
I would like to pass on this to a possible relative.
I look forward to your kind response.
Kevin James

DeepestSouth
26th Apr 2010, 22:18
That sounds to me like it may have been an Air Training Corps Summer Camp. Try the current HQ which is is: South & West Yorkshire Wing , Wing HQ, Healdfield Road, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 4SF. Sorry, I don't have their phone number but I'm sure they'll have one!

KeithChandler
27th Apr 2010, 20:03
I saw thread above with Sgt R Nadin name within, and I thought thats an unusual name and I know one of them! I've checked and sure enough it was Ric Nadin now OC of 644VGS at Syerston. I've pointed him towards this thread so expect him to surface soon. He is very interested in said memrobilia.
I had some good times at 622VGS at Upavon when my home VGS (615) was without a hanger or aircraft due to a fire.

Vitesse
28th Apr 2010, 07:29
A quick google comes back with 2388 as Castleford Air Cadets.

http://castlefordaircadets.co.uk/

Amos Keeto
29th Apr 2010, 11:14
My first ever visit to Upavon was on 16th June 1962 for the big "50th Anniversary of Military Aviation" air show there - I still have the programme. I was 12 years old and went with my Dad on a glorious summer's day (yes we DID have them in the '60s!). I recall a superb air show in pageant format starting with the ascent of a balloon and ending up with the first public appearance of the Hawker P.1127(prototype of the Harrier). then waves upon waves of aircraft formation flypasts and a mock attack by 38 Group using Hunters, Beverleys, Whirlwinds and Belvederes. Does anyone else remember this?

Fronkk
5th Apr 2011, 16:28
I am a member of Upavon Golf Club and assisting in gathering memorabilia for the golf club centenary - I note you have a programme for the 1962 RAF Anniversary Flying Display - any chance of a copy of this please?

India Four Two
6th Apr 2011, 12:45
My first ever visit to Upavon was on 16th June 1962 for the big "50th Anniversary of Military Aviation" air show there

Yes, I was there too and I also still have the programme (somewhere). An amazing display. I remember the P1127 (Bill Bedford?) flew in at high speed with a Hunter chase aircraft and then slowed down and stopped!

I also remember the 38 Group set piece and the Beverleys landing on the grass.

So the big question is - what will the RAF do for the 100th anniversary next year? A mass Tutor fly-past?

teeteringhead
7th Apr 2011, 09:43
Should really be CFS celebrating next year I42, as they formed at Upavon in 1912...... [even fewer aircraft for the RAF in 2018 methinks :(]

...... remember once being mocked gently by a Guards officer for the CFS badge on my sweater: "Harrumph, bl%%dy crabs - no tradition" etc etc.

Then I found out he was Welsh Guards (formed 1915) ...what fun I had then ....!

Exascot
7th Apr 2011, 14:19
I used to go there every month for the 1 Gp AT tasking meeting. Having checked the history, it must have been August 1993 when I turned up as usual to find a 'brown job' sitting in an office by the conference room. He was decidedly unhelpful. I phoned a colleague to discover that 1 Gp had moved to High Wycombe, or somewhere, and the meeting was there. No one told me personally about this. It may have been in a circular; the sort of thing that one files in the round filing cabinet under the desk. They managed without me so I sent my deputy after that - not the same driving along the M40 instead of through the country lanes of the Cotswolds. Had very nice fish and chips in Lechlade on the way back though.

Tawilah
4th Oct 2011, 02:14
Hi, The new course is very good. Played it some years ago and wrote a review on site which you might have seen.

Missed the old second hole which was a beauty, and a chance for a quick birdie. Rather like the 9th, now 18th.

Cheers.. Don Got My Rosebowl... Aug. 1965, not damaged in earthquake.

Rocket2
4th Oct 2011, 09:53
Following on from my post in Apr 09, you might be interested to know that Wyvern GC & the resident VGS are in the early planning stage to celebrate 100 years of aviation at Upavon in Jun 12. Will post details as they emerge. The event (or parts of it) will hopefully be open to all at Upavon & the surrounding villages. Any offers of a free fly by are most welcome. Incidentally, the hangers that were to be demolished are now being refurbished!

Steve Bond
4th Oct 2011, 10:01
Excellent news about next year's planned event - that will be the first time back there for me since that fabulous 1962 show.

By the way chaps, its "hangar" please, not "hanger".

Rocket2
4th Oct 2011, 12:05
"By the way chaps, its "hangar" please, not "hanger". "
Correct, I offer my sincere apologise but the spill chocker mussed ti :E
R2

Rocket2
10th Jun 2012, 09:41
Dear all - Wyvern Gliding Club & 622 VGS are celebrating the Centenery of aviation at Upavon Airfield on the 23rd June. Sadly due to constraints on space we cannot accept anymore visiting aircraft but would be interested if you are flying in the area, preferably in a vintage or very fast & noisy flying machine & want to "fly past", PM me in advance for details.
I also need to confirm or bust a local myth - is it true that Douglas Bader re-soled from Upavon after losing his legs?
Many thanks
R2

longer ron
10th Jun 2012, 10:59
Sounds correct Rocket 2

quote from this website
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=douglas+bader+re+solo&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesoutheastecho.co.uk%2FPilots%2FBader _D.htm&ei=43zUT6mZG-iJ0AX754GRBA&usg=AFQjCNGgmWGjLfcjcKhlzfqHwu95TlKksA

In November 1939, Douglas went to the Central Flying School at RAF Upavon for assessment. Although not having flown for seven years, after just a few hours of refresher training Douglas was flying solo in a Tutor and progressed quickly to the Battle, Master and Hurricane. His final course report read: 'This officer is an exceptionally good pilot. He is very keen and should be ideally suited.to single-seat fighters.' In the section headed 'Ability as a Pilot', the Officer Commanding Refresher Squadron wrote 'Exceptional'.

seems quite a detailed bio

rgds LR

Rocket2
11th Jun 2012, 09:34
Many thanks for that LR - if anyone else has some snippets of interest for a short historical talk on the airfield please let me know.
Blue skies
R2

pulse1
11th Jun 2012, 17:08
In my days as an instructor at 622 Old Sarum, the first duty of the day was to phone the met office at Upavon for the official RAF Gliding forecast. One morning, I had driven up from the south coast through very thick fog and, sitting in the gliding office, I couldn't see the airfield at all as I picked up the phone to call them.

The forecaster at Upavon read off the official RAF forecast and was copied by me onto the standard RAF form. An excellent forecast and no mention of fog whatsoever. So I said that this suggested that the fog would clear pretty quickly. "Fog?" he said. "You've got fog?".

To be fair, it did clear quite quickly into an brilliant gliding day.

JW411
11th Jun 2012, 17:36
If you don't have any parking space available at Upavon, why don't you open up Upavon Gallops?

I landed on the Gallops many, many times in an Argosy. RAF Upavon used to send over a control wagon manned by a couple of lads and they made a very good cup of tea.

Incidentally, I was CFI of Chilterns RAFGSA Gliding Cub at Benson in 1970 when some local vandal set fire to our hangar and all of our lovely gliders went up in smoke.

We basically inherited the fleet of Moonrakers RAFGSA Club from RAF Upavon which had gone down the pan.

Rocket2
11th Jun 2012, 19:31
JW411 - I suspect the Gallops are unlandable now. The approach on the Western end of the airfield is now restricted by the new Airfield Managers Office which makes the approach interesting especially when 622 & Wyvern GC are operating together & there is a northerly wind component thrown in (curl over from the hangars).
Parking for aircraft further limited by new operational requirements, sorry out of my hands.
R2

GQ2
24th Jun 2012, 10:34
I don't really know much about Upavon, but I think that they used to have a few Rapides there for parachuting. I gather at some point (Date anyone..?) they had a sale. A friends father bought some Rapides/Dominies, spares and a load of Queens. I'm not sure how many of the Rapides have survived, but I bought the engines some years ago.
Any photos or memories of the auction appreciated. I'm guessing mid to late 1960's.... Over to you guys...:)

bvcu
24th Jun 2012, 10:54
think you'll find it was down the road at Netheravon for the rapides and parachuting .

JW411
24th Jun 2012, 12:52
The Rapides that you are thinking of were owned by the Army Parachute Association at Netheravon. The last three went as follows:

G-AGTM sold 08.03.78. Now flying with Air Atlantique.
G-AIDL sold 17.05.77. Now flying with Air Atlantique.
G-AJHO damaged in a forced landing on Salisbury Plain and disposed of 07.10.75. I believe she is being rebuilt somewhere.

Rocket2
24th Jun 2012, 15:57
Just want to thank all the pilots of the Hawk, Tucanos, Swordfish, Sea Fury, Hunter, Spitfire & Army Historic Flight for their superb fly by's / displays & the sole visitor - JP's Auster from Netheravon who braved the gusty wind & rain yesterday, it was much appreciated guys & gals & the loud rounds of applause & smiles on everyones faces as you left said it all.
Superb, eveyone one of you. :ok::D
R2

GGR155
29th Jun 2012, 20:09
Spent many a long night shift in ASCOC 1971/72 discussing with Flt Lt Harry Capp the joys of flying Hotel Oscar on para duties from Netheravon. He was amongst the lucky few ground touring Air Support Command pilots to get some time in. There was also G-AYRU Islander which I believe is still active in this roll.

GGR

navstar1
1st Jul 2012, 15:24
Only just come across this thread. I was also at Upavon 1970-73 when the AOC in C was Sir Harry Burton. I worked directly for Sir Harry and Lady Burton and they were a wonderful team. John Reed and Derek Copins were the crew on his Pembroke and we had great fun visiting the various Air Support Stations. I was very junior but it was a great headquarters to work in and Upavon was a splendid station. Very happy memories.:ok:

Dundiggin'
2nd Apr 2013, 19:31
A couple of years' ago I vented my spleen re the external condition of the hangars at Upavon. I remember waxing well lyrical as I was of the undertanding that the hangars were listed buildings not to be demolished but to be kept in such condition that they would prevail and remind everyone what a glorious history and influence Upavon had on the World of aviation.

Is it true that the hangars have now been refurbished?

I spent the happiest years of my RAF career (38yrs) at Upavon from '67 - '69. I met the love of my life, got married to her, was selected for Airman Aircrew and was captain of the football team.

Despite being situated well away from 'civilisation' it's amazing how happy everyone was and I am very very pleased to hear that it is being looked after in the manner it deserves.

Well done the Army!

ShyTorque
2nd Apr 2013, 20:07
Ah, 240 OCU Puma night flying detachments, RAF Upavon. Has its own weather system.

One hazy night, at Everleigh DZ, we noticed signs of fog beginning to form. At Upavon when it fogged out, it really fogged out quickly, so we Puma pilots decided it was time to scuttle off back to Upavon for a debrief and beer.

However, the late Dick Langworthy, and I think Roger U***y, in a Wessex, decided to continue with a couple more underslung load training circuits (with the barrel in a net), then bring the netted load back to Upavon.

It fogged out more a bit more rapidly than they expected....

Undeterred, they flew back to what they thought was the standard NATO "T" laid out on the airfield. However, as they came to the hover, with the netted load swinging underneath on the hook, they realised they were actually looking at the brightly lit "Welcome to RAF Upavon" sign by the main gate and they were hovering over the main road - they had approached between the big hangars and the domestic site without seeing either. Thankfully, there was no road traffic at that late hour! :p

Rocket2
3rd Apr 2013, 09:54
Dundiggin:
Partially true - 2 out of the three hangars appear to have been (or are well on their way to be) totally refurbished. No longer fly there but pass by every day. The hangar on the Eastern end is still derelict but hey, the airfield manager has a nice swiss style cottage / office near the 25 approach line :ugh: The old sqn office / Wyvern GC club room has long gone & the nearby garages converted to glass fronted classrooms.
Lots of money being spent on the other side of the road too (including a lovely big car park)

Mikeww
29th Sep 2016, 11:06
Just come across this thread - I was there on Saturday 16th June 1962 and visited on a coach arranged by ROC Exeter. Things that stood out for me were the Artic Auster, the very low simulated attack by the 4 BAC Lightning's, the Lincoln bomber and the Beverly landing on grass. I did have an Airshow Programme but where is it now 54 years later? ha ha.

Mikeww
29th Sep 2016, 11:08
I remember it - I've just posted an earlier message.