PDA

View Full Version : Flight School vs. University

Agent_W
23rd Jul 2009, 12:15
Hello, I'm currently considering going to a flight school to become a commercial pilot rather than go to university. Does anyone think this is a good idea or would it be preferable to employers to get a degree first?
Also, is the Jet Line Course offered at BCFT a good choice? I've been doing some research and they seem the best to me so far but would like a second opinion.
Thank you very much. :)

Groundloop
23rd Jul 2009, 13:19
All discussed here in great detail.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/102046-university-not.html

Intruder
23rd Jul 2009, 15:44
If you can't recognize that today's economy and the state of the airline industry dictate that you should have the ability to hold another job besides flying, then you should probably go to a university and study economics AND something for another job!

MUFC_fan
23rd Jul 2009, 21:47
It is not fair to say that. 12-18 months is a big change in any industry.

Ryanair are expanding as are easyJet, FlyBE etc.

Go for it! You only live once!:ok:

Rainboe
23rd Jul 2009, 21:56
With the debt levels you will accumulate, is University so valuable now? Look at the number of degree holders looking for menial jobs now. I would not do it unless I was totally dedicated to the subject, but pick your subject! The world does not need another Media studies graduate, Film studies, English Literature, Social studies, Political Studies etc.! Unless you pick something with value to the world, you are wasting your time.

I believe there is a case for hitting the workforce earlier and building up skills and trades whilst your compatriots are in academia. Hang it all, if flying training doesn't work out, get into plumbing and earn enough to buy your own aeroplane!

waco
24th Jul 2009, 03:19
barking............

al446
24th Jul 2009, 13:08
Ryanair are expandingNot according to other threads I read on here

MUFC_fan
24th Jul 2009, 13:22
Not according to other threads I read on here

I think their website and Boeing's delivery schedule begs to differ from other threads on this website. Maybe wrong though!;)

Agent_W
26th Jul 2009, 00:47
Thanks for the help! Especially that link from Groundloop.