PDA

View Full Version : Using only one leg of a return journey on UA???

shogan1977
22nd Jul 2009, 13:35
:confused: I recently bought two non-refundable return tickets for my wife and I (BRU to MCO). Since buying them my wife has been scheduled to be in US for work adjacent to our holiday. She wants to return from MCO to BRU WITHOUT using the outward leg... Is this possible/legal/ok? Can we get in trouble?

I say again - the tickets are non-refundable!

pinkpanther99
22nd Jul 2009, 13:55
Not possible, I'm afraid.

If you don't use an earlier portion of a ticket, all subsequent parts of it become void.

In this case, not using the outbound makes the return void.

If it were a 4 sector itinerary, not using sector 2 would make 3 and 4 void, for example.

Been bitten by this so many times recently with a change of my company's policy forcing us to buy non-flex tickets, that I now buy one way tickets unless I am absolutely positive that my plans won't change.

Bealzebub
22nd Jul 2009, 13:58
Usually with these type of contracts (tickets) the contract dissolves at the first breach. In other words if you use the outward portion of a return or multiple sector ticket and fail to use the last sector, then the contract dissolves at the point of the return sector and your booking is cancelled for the last sector. Obviously this is of little inconvenience to you as it resulted from your choice. This practice is frequently employed in order to benefit from cheaper round trip fares than single journey fares. I believe that some (US) airlines do, and all reserve the right to reclaim the cost of the higher applicable fare. In practice most do not bother, as it is unproductive and their fare calculation strategy likely allowed for an element of this in any event.

The problem comes (as in your case) when the first sector is not used whilst still relying on the return or subsequent sectors. Having failed to complete the initial portion of the contract, the remainder would normally be cancelled as a "no show" booking. There is no obligation on the part of the carrier to honour any further portion of that ticket, unless provision was clearly a part of the existing or any new contract. You can throw yourself at their mercy, but in most cases they would probably require you to buy a new ticket.

Best to phone them up and ask. They may be sympathetic and be able to suggest some form of renegotiation or compromise. If not at least you will know where you stand and you have lost nothing more.

shogan1977
22nd Jul 2009, 14:35
Thanks guys. Called airline and not a chance... ticket would be void! Wish my wife had not told me to buy the tickets yesterday and changed her mind in less than 24hours! :ugh:

spannersatcx
22nd Jul 2009, 19:01
Get her work to pay for them, as it seems they are causing the problem.