PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network Gotcha

The Real Slim Shady
22nd Jul 2009, 11:11
My trusty Toshiba suddenly wouldn't connect to the wireless network at home: wouldn't even find the network.

Herself has a Mac which was connecting without problems.

When I plugged in the ethernet cable, the Tosh found the network without problems: unplug, no wireless.

The computer reports that the wireless, integrated, controller is working, but a closer and deeper look in Device Manager and I find that there is a tick box that allows the computer to shut off the wireless, but leave the light ON somehow, when POWER SAVER mode is set.

Cunning or cunning?

Guest 112233
22nd Jul 2009, 13:39
Hello. This just an idea as my Acer and Compaq have this "Feature" is there a rocker switch to enable wireless on the thing ? - I've made this mistake - take a look at the casing.

CAT III

Keef
22nd Jul 2009, 16:52
... and then there's a model of laptop sold by several "manufacturers" under their brand name, with a bug that means the motherboard overheats and the WiFi dies. if you do nothing, about six months later the video dies and you have a brick on your hands.

Google your model number and "overheating" and see if yours is one.

LH2
22nd Jul 2009, 18:07
When I plugged in the ethernet cable, the Tosh found the network without problems

Via the wireless, or via the Ethernet interface?

Sorry if the question insults your intelligence, but I thought it should be asked in case you're having a blonde moment. :)

call100
22nd Jul 2009, 22:32
My Tosh has been having the same problems....Works fine over ethernet direct from the cable modem but will not recognise the wireless modem when hard-wired to it or wirelessly.
Have been unable to get it to connect via wireless for a while now. Even bought a new wireless modem but to no avail.

The Real Slim Shady
23rd Jul 2009, 00:04
Call 100, check what mode you are in under power options.

I had changed that to Power Saver and it disables the wireless but leaves the wireless light on: if you go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager and click on Network Adapter you should find your wireless adapter.

Double click and the last tab on the box is Power Management: there is a check bx to turn off the disable feature.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jul 2009, 07:23
Google your model number and "overheating" and see if yours is one.

My overheating was simply cured.

Inside the case there was a fan grill. This had a 'filter' over it. It turned out to be a dust layer about 1/4 inch thick. The fan inlet was on the bottom of the case - clever, not.

call100
23rd Jul 2009, 08:08
Call 100, check what mode you are in under power options.

I had changed that to Power Saver and it disables the wireless but leaves the wireless light on: if you go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager and click on Network Adapter you should find your wireless adapter.

Double click and the last tab on the box is Power Management: there is a check bx to turn off the disable feature.
I had already checked that, thank you. I have my power option set to High performance as it's used at my desk mainly and plugged in. I have unchecked it anyway.
When I get round to it I'll take it and try it on someone else's wireless connection. I usually have it hard wired so am able to use it. It becomes annoying if I want to use it elsewhere in the house.