PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air silent on restructuring rumours

Desertia
22nd Jul 2009, 06:09
I wonder what sort of beard-soothing axing of "overpaid" western expats could be under discussion to prompt this statement?.....

From ArabianBusiness.com:

Gulf Air has distanced itself from speculation claiming another restructuring is planned before new chief executive Samer Majali arrives next month.

The Bahraini carrier issued a statement on Tuesday in response to media reports that more cutbacks may take place.

“Following the recent appointment of our new incoming CEO Samer Majali, we are all aware that there is immense public interest in Gulf Air’s future business strategy as we look to address the challenges of rebuilding a dynamic national airline for Bahrain,” said Gulf Air executive chairman Talal Al Zain.

“Whilst our primary concern is to provide as much clarification and support as possible for our customers, our employees and our suppliers at this time of change, until the new CEO has taken up his position at the beginning of August you will appreciate that it would be both inappropriate and premature to comment on market speculation at this stage of the process.”

Al Zain added an announcement regarding the airline’s future would be made once Majali has reviewed the operation.

Majali’s predecessor Bjorn Naf was appointed in 2007 to help rescue the ailing carrier by cutting costs, routes and employee numbers. At the time, the airline was posting $1m daily losses.

It is believed Naf resigned last month following continued pressure from Bahraini politicians to have him removed.

One member from Bahrain's Members of Parliament is thought to have sent a letter to Al Zain in June urging him to sack Naf.

uglyraedII
22nd Jul 2009, 09:45
you know restructure programs don't happen just like that! there are certain procedures to carry them out! like the new livery etc GF promised! it would take at least 18 months! I wouldnt advice Gf in hiring this CEO .I don't know something seems horribly wrong about that guy!

Dani
22nd Jul 2009, 09:49
Well, one thing was sure: the most overpaid expat was the CEO himself. But that doesn't imply that western expats are a bad thing per se...

SugarFace
25th Jul 2009, 01:40
any idea when gulf air will resume the hiring for flight attendants? have a good weekend everyone...:)

uglyraedII
25th Jul 2009, 10:03
well as far as i know GF would start hiring staff by the end of 2009 or in 2010.Emirates wont start hiring for another 3 years!

driftdown
25th Jul 2009, 14:06
Uglyraed II,

Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide a little more information as to the source from which you have based your last post.

uglyraedII
25th Jul 2009, 16:53
well im in contact with one of the heads and thats where i got my information.
thank you

EK Snorkel
25th Jul 2009, 17:21
Ugly ....

As we speak we are hiring 50 pilots @ EK...so your "head" is useless to say the least .....

uglyraedII
25th Jul 2009, 18:19
so why are you giving ppl unpaid leave??????

Trader
26th Jul 2009, 14:27
ugly--are you really that daft!!!!!!!!! Some FA's have unpaid leave...that is the extent of it. Pilots are flying max and the hiring has begun again for pilots as stated above.

Before you comment at least have some knowledge of what you are talking about!!!!!!! If you feel like questioning someones facts you can ask in a more respectable manner.

mutt
26th Jul 2009, 15:32
Trader, relax, the guy is 17 years old, cant exactly be an industry insider :):)

Mutt

uglyraedII
26th Jul 2009, 15:56
wow people really get offended here. i dont know emirates is getting ready to cripple like GF .See every airline has a good phase but eventually they kind of ummmmm enter a bad phase where they there management skills are tested!

Capt Hair Y Balls
26th Jul 2009, 16:34
Ugly,

well im in contact with one of the heads and thats where i got my information.
thank you

Uhhh would that "head" you're in contact with be by any chance Richard or otherwise know as Dick:E:E

boiler
26th Jul 2009, 16:45
You're killing me Capt!

Be careful, you might be called a 'sicko' now! Welcome to the club.

Miles Gustaph
26th Jul 2009, 18:43
...and don't mention his spelling or grammar he's very sensitive about it!

wapses
26th Jul 2009, 18:58
Guys

Please please just ignore this uglyraed person. Do not reply to his posts whatever nonsense he spouts. If he is ignored he will hopefully go away.

Mike.Park
26th Jul 2009, 19:01
Mumtalakat is seeking advisers to help it rebuild Gulf Air

MANAMA, July 26 (Reuters) - Bahrain's sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat is seeking advisers to help it rebuild the business of state-owned carrier Gulf Air [GULF.UL], it said in a statement on Sunday.

It said the consultants would report to the airline's incoming Chief Executive Samer Majali, who is taking up his post on Aug. 1 and "who has been appointed to lead Gulf Air as it moves into the next phase of its strategy to rebuild the business".

Majali said in an interview published on July 7 that the Gulf Arab state's flag carrier would conduct studies on its strategic position in August, but did not provide details.

Previous Chief Executive Bjorn Naf left the loss-making carrier earlier this month.
Naf had been criticised by Bahraini parliamentarians over his handling of the company since he took over in 2007.

The loss-making carrier cut jobs and trimmed its network that year and started to renew its fleet, after announcing losses of more than $1 million a day. (Reporting by Frederik Richter; Editing by Firouz Sedarat/Will Waterman)

left_to_first_class
26th Jul 2009, 19:33
Oh dear, another CEO and another set of consultants.
Weren't we paying $400 per hour per consultant when Andre Dose took over and what did they tell GF, nothing it didn't know.

Perhaps we could all club together and offer our services as consultants?

Panama Jack
27th Jul 2009, 00:00
I have no problem with getting consultants, however, it is sad to read that Gulf Air is willing to spend big dosh on consultants when it seemingly is averse to receiving input from its own employees who are willing to provide input in exchange for nothing . . . well, not exactly for nothing . . . with the hope of having a long, meaningful career with a good employer (and hearing a sincere and enthusiastic "thank-you" would be nice in exchange for constructive input). :(

Smart managers think they know all the answers. Really smart managers know the right questions.

uglyraedII
27th Jul 2009, 08:54
i hope this is the best choice for GF. But its good to hear that the airline wants to get back on top again. The airline isnt just sitting hopelessly and doing nothing like Kuwait airways a.d Saudi airlines are!

Desertia
27th Jul 2009, 09:41
It beggars belief that yes ANOTHER CEO can come in, call in a shedload of "consultants" who cost the company a fortune, and then produce a report that may nor may not provide a solution depending on who the consultants talk to and how much they are pressured into doctoring the answers.

As the old saying goes, a consultant is someone who comes into your company, looks at your watch and tells you what time it is.

Really, how long is it going to be before the new boy has filled all the top jobs with his Royal Jordanian trusties, and GF have still not passed GO, still not collected 200 new aircraft, etc.?

No wonder Bahrain is stuck in a rut.

Miles Gustaph
27th Jul 2009, 09:58
...the trick with consultants is to listen to what they have to say and then do what they propose, which is again normally agreed with the Senior Management.

There are many cases where a company uses consultants as an excuse for their own actions or as a rear-covering-excercise.

Gulf Air have staff who have good ideas about the company but as with the consultants the senior management doesn't listen to them... will a new CEO actually be able to change the culture at that level?

I guess were about to find out, but how many chances does Gulf Air have left?

uglyraedII
27th Jul 2009, 10:37
I just hope that they dont make the Air canada their consultant. I did some research and i found out that he converted he airline into some kind of low cost carrier which servers meal only on international flights! they took out the entertainment systems from the 330.It was done way before the economic crisis! I have flown wih aircanada and it makes GF look like emirates .

thegypsy
27th Jul 2009, 10:43
ugly

you sound very much like bound_for dubai a few years back who turned out to be some schoolboy in Canada.

Yet you ended up in Jeddah instead of Dubai which does not surprise me.Got lost? On second thoughts get lost:D

samjetblaster
27th Jul 2009, 11:25
As the Director posted, UGLY R get lost! U seem to have nothing else to do as it's the school holidays than to post your silly and boring remarks on this site. I thought you had to be a minimum of 18 to be here and write proper English so that others can understand! So until then take a hike!

obsidian
27th Jul 2009, 11:41
i dont know where u guys get your info,no consultant teams are coming! the new ceo is bringing his own team which consists of 4 vps which according to what i heard is, thats all he requires to run the company instead of our 100vps! havin said that an overpaid qualified person is not a problem,but being over paid and underqualified is! any sucessful airline or bank,etc doesnt pay there ceo peanuts..:E
uglyraed your english is embarassing ,please enroll in st.chris its a good english school!:ugh:

WELCO
27th Jul 2009, 12:11
the new ceo is bringing his own team which consists of 4 vps which according to what i heard is, thats all he requires to run the company instead of our 100vps!

I've heard the same, but at this stage you can never be sure that this will actually happen. I would say that if the new guy could really succeed bringing his fellowmen, and I hope he could, this would send a strong message to the "old screws"!

uglyraedII
27th Jul 2009, 12:53
what i meant about Saudi airlines is...see the see the planes are always full! They should make millions in hajj and Ramadan! but where is the money going????? Saudi airline carries countless pax every year! Most people would expect the airline make orders like 340-600 and 777-300ER ! But the airline isnt doing much.No matter how may plane the airline would have,The number of pax flying the airline would never fall!
I did my research!
I have my ways to gain excess here:oh:
Dont worry im not that Canadian school boy..Im a bahraini school boy living in jeddah:ok:
By the way i love your come backs! when the "feud" started it was like i was arguing with a bunch of 2 year old girls( which is 3 for boys :O)I hope you studied biology back in school.

obsidian
27th Jul 2009, 13:21
anybody but the old useless screws! bunch of ignorant fools.:E

Miles Gustaph
27th Jul 2009, 13:30
Seriously if we have to put up with the kid for another 8 weeks can we help him sort his grammar and spelling out, now I admit mine isn't great but I do try, and when prompted will make the correction but for goodness sake this is really poor!

I got one of the Indian clerks at work to correct Ugly's work - corrections in red:

What I meant about Saudi airlines is...see the see the planes are always full! They should make millions in Hajj and Ramadan! But where is the money going????? Saudi airlines carries countless pax every year! Most people would expect the airline to make orders for aircraft like the 340-600 and 777-300ER ! But the airline isn’t doing much.[space] No matter how may planes the airline would will have,[space] the number of pax flying the airline would never fall!
I did my research!
I have my ways to gain excess here
Don’t worry I’m not that Canadian school boy..I’m a Bahraini schoolboy living in Jeddah.
By the way I love your come backs! When the "feud" started it was like I was arguing with a bunch of 2 year old girls [space](which is 3 for boys)[space] I hope you studied biology back in school.

obsidian
27th Jul 2009, 13:39
:Eugly raed please go back to your village and tend to the goats! trust me u wont get bored,u ll be in the company of animals with a higher iq than u:}:E

behramjee
27th Jul 2009, 17:45
I did some research and i found out that he converted he airline into some kind of low cost carrier which servers meal only on international flights! they took out the entertainment systems from the 330.It was done way before the economic crisis! I have flown wih aircanada and it makes GF look like emiratesThat is not correct any more as all of AC's A 333's have got the latest in-flight product in both economy and business class. They were originally going to sell off these aircraft and concentrate on having a long haul fleet based solely on Boeing planes but luckily that plan fell flat and they have decided to keep the A 333s with them for another 3-4 years until the B 787s arrive.

what i meant about Saudi airlines is...see the see the planes are always full! Saudia flights to Europe, BKK, HKG, within the GCC and London Heathrow are not at all full year round in both directions...let alone even 75% full! They are full only to Kano, CAI, Pakistan, DAC, India, MNL and JKT. In fact, SV officials have officially disclosed to the media that their B 772s are way too big for all of their EU flights except for LON and that the ideal aircraft would have been an A 332!

Recently, SV has ordered 8 A 333s + 12 B 789s which will be used to replace the oldest B 772As and B 741s and B 743s.

Lastly, SV has a new J class in-flight product available currently only on their B 772ER fleet. It looks exactly like GF's A 332 J class product.

Miles Gustaph
27th Jul 2009, 18:55
Why do I need animals when I have you guys!
It is true i have/make spelling mistakes even in school. [space] However, grammar mistakes only occur on forums like these which needs no proper grammar.
Wow you guys take me seriously it’s a kind of funny what you did there give it to the Indian guy LOL funny.

“However, grammar mistakes only occur on forums like these which needs no proper grammar.” Really?
Netiquette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette)
“…some Usenet guidelines call for use of unabbreviated English while users of online chat protocols like IRC and instant messaging protocols like SMS often encourage just the opposite, bolstering use of SMS language.”

“i have spelling mistakes even in school” you can get help for that… Dyslexia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dislexia)…
”Dyslexia is a learning disability that makes itself manifest primarily as a difficulty with reading and spelling. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction.”

Rudeness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudeness)
“Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is the disrespect and failure to behave within the context of a society or a group of people's social laws or etiquette. These laws have already unspokenly been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behaviour. To be unable or unwilling to align one's behaviour with these laws known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude.”

uglyraedII
27th Jul 2009, 20:33
first of all i know what Dyslexia is.I have 3 words for you Get A Life.seriously its hard to be the center of attention! the forums is something like about me weird

TAF Oscar
28th Jul 2009, 08:02
Your clerk missed the funniest one: "gain excess"... presumably he meant "gain access"... then again, he was talking about Saudi!

Duh
28th Jul 2009, 11:21
I think you Gulf Air guys are being taken for a ride. This Ugly punk is a line pilot first officer, maybe even a captain at Gulf Air.

mutt
28th Jul 2009, 16:45
Most people would expect the airline make orders like 340-600 and 777-300ER Why? For what routes? Whats wrong with the A332 and the A320? Not to mention the 787's, or even the 747-8?

Why did they need the A340-600 or 777ER? Explain?

Mutt

boiler
28th Jul 2009, 17:33
For a guy who does his "research", he sure knows about the history and operational performance of the 346 :mad:

Schibulsky
28th Jul 2009, 18:23
problem solved:ok:

mutt
28th Jul 2009, 18:39
You dont know how many people travel in that airline! millions! Actually i know EXACTLY how many people travel in the airline, now back to my question, why the A340-600 and/or B773?

Explain yourself!

I guess the management there is even worst than GF Ha ha ha, maybe the management have something that you dont..... INFORMATION...

Have a good day :)

Mutt

DesertHawk
28th Jul 2009, 18:59
just curious, why do so many peeople think they have the inside scoop? be honest with your self u have just heard rumors from the people "that know" just like the rest of us. and also this ugly guy serious man u have anything better to do? if u do work at GF u seriously need to find some other activities other than PPRUNE. u know one thing i have accepted is that we are all along for the ride no matter where we work so F##K it and enjoy the roller coater guys!!!!

Panama Jack
29th Jul 2009, 04:58
DesertHawk, I am reminded of the adage "Those who are talking don't know and those in the know aren't talking."

EGGW
29th Jul 2009, 06:30
UGLYbloke has left the thread, as he couldn't resist posting rubbish. Thanks for your patience gents!

EGGW

Christina6916
29th Jul 2009, 08:54
gents?? ehem? that was mean blocking him but he knew how get on you nervs.I have a question to ask you guys.See my sister is qualified first officer for a 320 so will she get the job?.Becouse shes a woman and women dont really get jobs easily in an arabian airline:confused:

boiler
29th Jul 2009, 09:00
Isn't it interesting Ugly left this thread and another one now comes in with the same type of spelling mistakes and writing pattern??

Christina6916
29th Jul 2009, 09:29
yea i know and especially if its a girl.Ok answer my question.I really need to know this im not playing.Paranoya is a very bad thing it will eat you alive.I dont know what kind of games your playing but i need answers . Answer this or/and im leaving:ugh: im in ny at the moment its 5 am i dont have time for your silly little games.

boiler
29th Jul 2009, 09:40
I think we all thought Ugly already answered you in another thread and you were very happy with his reply.

Miles Gustaph
29th Jul 2009, 09:42
Christina, what's your question got to do with Gulf Air restructuring?

However as a suggestion, I would suggest that your sister would be the best person to ask... she's the pilot and I'm sure bright enough to work out the jobs market, as is anyone who's managed to make FO.

EGGW
29th Jul 2009, 10:32
Christina and Ugly have left the building, please ignore the posts....

EGGW

mkdar
29th Jul 2009, 14:54
EGGW
Thank you man, what a relief .
:D