PDA

View Full Version : BK NVFR inbound procedure from Prospect

Sparkles1
22nd Jul 2009, 02:17
Need advise please on the most legal way to descend into BK from PSP at night in regards to LSALTs
If you were to fly the 136MH from prospect as per the VTC you would not be abeam TWRN until at the BK control boundary however you would still be at the LSALT at 1900ft
I understand if you were to eyeball TWRN you could let your self down as per the rules however what if you couldnt see it and you have the ato next to you and all you have is the ADF to use which would verify that you are abeam TWRN only at the BK boundary.
So would my options be fly a heading of 170 after inbound call and turn to intercept the runway which would put me out 2nm from boundary in which case i would be abeam TWRN and then descend or also fly east after PSP until abeam TWRN and then turn for a long base leg?
Or am i barking up the wrong tree?

thanks

D-J
22nd Jul 2009, 02:30
the only legal way in to bk under nvfr is to get an airways clearance to enter the circling area at 1900' & then descend but good luck getting that....

there is also some radio mast's just to the north of BK that need to be taken into consideration when determining lowest safes, from memory there about 800' so doesn't help much as you can be visually clear of 2RN but not the masts to the north.

so just do what everyone 'illegally' does and decent to 1500 just before the step

muffman
22nd Jul 2009, 09:42
If 11 is active, establish on a long final and descend on the PAPI.

Or a less practical option might be to fly a 3nm arc and descend on the arc. Can't see how it'd necessarily improve your safety, but I guess it would be compliant with the rules.

das Uber Soldat
22nd Jul 2009, 11:12
Bit of a mystery this one, I know ATO's who shrug their shoulders and just do what everyone else does, ie descend illegally below LSALT and just use the altitudes that you know work in the day time.

I think if you're at PSP at 2100 feet and you turn south, pick up the 11 centreline and descend on the PAPI you will remain OCTA and be also legal. For 29, apart from the CTA clearance, not sure.