PDA

View Full Version : Qantas IT

packrat
21st Jul 2009, 23:27
l (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/travel/) New Qantas Site Not Tested In Firefox

Qantas has touched up the design of its web site, but the process apparently didn’t include any proper testing in Firefox.
The site still has the same features, but has revamped the colour scheme, fonts and icons used. The image at the top shows menus rendering (correctly) on the new site in Internet Explorer 8. The image below is the same menus in Firefox 3.5 — an ugly mess, basically. The links work, but they’re much harder to work with.
I’m sure Qantas has more IE users than any other browser, but would it be that hard to get this right? Hopefully even as I write, a CSS boffin at the airline is trying to fix the problem.
If you cant get a job with mainstream IT Qantas will pay you less but will give you a job.
Internal sites like EQ are a mess.Some of the worst design and implementation has gone into this site.Cost blowouts so far are over $100 million and it still doesnt deliver

Hugh Jarse
22nd Jul 2009, 00:16
Qantas IT slogan = "Yesterday's technology, tomorrow". :)

spacesage
22nd Jul 2009, 05:10
Companies rely on IT for almost every form of communication, whether it be external or internal.

Yet managment at all levels refuse to understand the dynamics of their IT organisation.

IT is still seen by many as a "Black Art" that doesn't deliver, is expensive and non-profit bearing.

Companies that embrace IT as a cornerstone of their business structure and have management who are pro-technology will always do better.

I agree that a LOT of IT people are partly to blame for their stereotypical image of the surly, unhelpful, disgruntled IT guy. this always a result of poor hiring practices and awareness of the real job description.

IT and airlines should go hand in hand, they are BOTH customer oriented industries. (Yeah go on, laugh it up now, but its true)

I have built and grown IT departments with that in mind, WITH some reality checks along the way. This has always resulted in a overall happy user base. (No I dont call them customers FFS)

OK /RANT OFF/

Hang on

/RANT ON/

Rule 1. Instead of bitching about it, change it.

Rule 2. When bitching starts, see rule 1.

/RANT OFF/

:ugh:

seneca208
22nd Jul 2009, 06:36
Works OK for me in Safari and Firefox, but lots of dead links.

roger_ramjet
24th Jul 2009, 12:02
and it takes forever to load... too many graphics, Java scripts, complex animations and ads that change according to what you're looking for etc. Pity the people that have anything less than a healthy ADSL 2+ connection...

airtags
25th Jul 2009, 02:36
I'm sure when the QF outsource contract to IBM powers up and IBM then subbies the job to their IT cluster in Mumbai that all will work fine...........

Smile...shake head from side to side and then disregard

AT

planit
25th Jul 2009, 04:17
Tested from my Hotel in Jakarta
QF web site 2min 20 secs to load
SQ web site 50 secs
PPrune web site 30 secs
Is it any wonder the flying kangaroo is losing business ?

blueloo
25th Jul 2009, 04:50
All three took less than 3 seconds for me..... maybe its your end rather than any of the web sites.

twiggs
25th Jul 2009, 07:31
l (http://www.lifehacker.com.au/travel/) New Qantas Site Not Tested In Firefox

That's strange because the recommended PC browsers (http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/viewing/global/en) are IE and Firefox.
I think the problem is at your end.
Works perfectly for me in Firefox 3.5.

reubee
25th Jul 2009, 09:15
I have had a long running correspondence with the Qantas IT departments over the multi-city booking feature. Typically I'd go AKL-SYD-MEL-AKL. The problem being that the multi-city booking feature if you select search by schedule, only allows you to select from the first 13 flights in the day. Not normally a problem except the 13th SYD-MEL is at 10am so you can't select an evening flight!!!

I have spoken to the booking engine team and they have advised there is no enhancement for this issue in the foreseeable future.

It is a system limitation and they are having major issues having it resolved.

I'd love to know what the major issue is!

Bad Hat Harry
25th Jul 2009, 10:19
Having had conversations with some in IT it is not surprsing that the website has its limitations.
Quite simply the personnel in Qantas IT have limitations.
Limitations in education and intellect.The conceit these people have is second only to their incompetence.
It is doubtful they could set up a LAN

Southern handler
25th Jul 2009, 10:47
been having a big play around on firefox on tHE desktop and it is all fine speed is good and no areas not working ( not that I tried everything). also working well on Safari on the ol I phone

bulstrode
25th Jul 2009, 23:53
If you are having problems with the site clear all your cookies and then re visit the site