PDA

View Full Version : Can you help move an x-ray machine to the Gambia?

TeeS
21st Jul 2009, 22:08
Hi Freight Dogs

Hope you will excuse an uninvited visitor from Rotorheads. I’m wondering whether any of you might be able to help (or have the contacts to help) with a bit of a charity project?

Back in February 2007 a small group of us from an Air Ambulance base in the Midlands, renovated a Series 3 Landrover Ambulance (with the help of dozens of others) and drove it to the Gambia for donation to a hospital. Six weeks before departure, we were given an ordinary ambulance which we took on the trip. We donated this second ambulance to a clinic in Banjul that appears to provide a very affordable medical service to the local people.

Whilst we were handing this vehicle over to the clinic staff, I was taken to one side and shown the x-ray department. The equipment there would not have looked out of place in Madam Currie’s laboratory! I was asked whether I might be able to locate a replacement machine – I of course replied that I would see what I could find!!!! Well 2 years later, I think I have found a source for a suitable (low tech) x-ray unit. The task is now to find some way of transporting it. As much as I would love to take another drive across the Sahara, I now have some idea of the damage that would do to the sensitive equipment!

I realise that we are going to have lots to sort out and none of this is going to happen for a few months yet. Additionally, I don’t have any idea of the size or weight of the equipment yet and I would like to try and get a technician on the transport to supervise installation.

If anyone thinks they may be able to help on the transportation front, please get in touch.

Thanks

TeeS

woptb
22nd Jul 2009, 11:22
TeeS,
I don't know of a specific contact,but when I worked for DHL Air UK they would occasionally provide charity lifts.
Give them a spin.

mphysflier
22nd Jul 2009, 11:54
[quote][lots to sort out with transporting radioactive material /QUOTE]

No X-ray equipment, or any imaging equipment I can think of (even a 'gamma camera'), is radioactive, so please don't let this misconception deter any potential assistance here. In certain parts of the world a little basic health technology goes a very long way.

TeeS
22nd Jul 2009, 12:54
Thanks woptb

mphysflier sorry, my confusion was based on a vague memory from years ago, something to do with concerns about what happened to all the radioactive material that was in x-ray machines that had been scrapped. Thanks for clearing that up, I wil edit the first post.

Cheers

TeeS