PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair cutting flights at Stansted

sky9
21st Jul 2009, 10:13
The BBC Newsflash is reporting Ryanair are cutting 40% of flights out of Stansted this winter.

harrogate
21st Jul 2009, 10:24
BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair reduces Stansted flights (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8160923.stm)

sitigeltfel
21st Jul 2009, 10:37
O'Leary is putting the blame on airport and passenger duty charges. This is a bit rich from the master of spurious charges and taxes himself, ten quid to book by credit card? And don't get me started on Visa Electron cards, if everyone had one then that freebie would disappear 'toute suite'.

EvilDoctorK
21st Jul 2009, 10:38
The airline operated 40 aircraft from Stansted in the summer but said this would fall to 24 this winter.

But surely the key question is how many did they base in STN last winter

According to their own press release this time last year - Ryanair - News : Ryanair Unveils 14% Capacity Reductions (http://www.ryanair.co.uk/site/EN/news.php?yr=08&month=jul&story=rte-en-170708) that number was 28 ... still a capacity drop .. but a long way off 40%

geordiejet
21st Jul 2009, 10:44
Yes, not to mention paying £5 ew for the pleasure of printing your own boarding card. So for a vast majority, £20 minimum before you have even factored in your flight cost, APD and airport tax. Then your wheelchair levey etc etc. Sorry but when it comes to charges and fees, MOL needs to take a close look at himself.

I thought it was funny the other day when a big wig from FR was talking about how most of the people in the office used Electron - despite nobody issuing Electron cards in the ROI.

AlpineSkier
21st Jul 2009, 11:24
@sitigeltfel

I don't know if this is a European requirement or not, but I recently read an article in a German publication (don't remember which one) and this stated that Ryanair met the requirement for a "free" method of payment with Electron.

Ergo either Germany or the EU require something "free" that FR won't be able to abolish.

Just as a matter of interest, the German authorities are generally very critical of Ryanair and therefore it doesn't surprise that this "obligation" surfaces there.

Road_Hog
21st Jul 2009, 11:47
@AlpineSkier

It's an EU ruling,

EU forces airlines to advertise true cost of '99p' flights | Business | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jul/10/theairlineindustry.cheapflights)

So, he picked the least used card available in the UK. He will have a problem if the Electron card disappears*, because he will have to make another form of card payment free.

* It is my understanding that Visa is replacing the Electron card with a Visa debit card with a different numbering system and pre-authorised. So it is effectively Electron but under another name/guise.

Flying_Frisbee
21st Jul 2009, 12:02
And from Prestwick:
Ryanair is planning a major reduction in services from Prestwick Airport this winter, The Herald has learned.
Its seating capacity is expected to be cut by nearly a third and its number of routes from the Ayrshire hub reduced from 24 to 16.
The Herald (http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2520916.0.ryanair_to_cut_flights_from_prestwick. php)

Interestingly, I'm trying to book flights between Hahn and Prestwick, and I don't think I've ever seen so many "no flights available for selected date" messages on their booking page. I would say most of the dates I've tried have been unsuccessful.

sitigeltfel
21st Jul 2009, 12:06
I use Ryanair regularly and on the whole I find their service reliable and punctual. The prices they charge, even when you take in all the "extras" are still good value in my view. Why then, do they not just lump all these fees/taxes/charges, whatever you want to call them into one lump figure instead of giving their customers the impression they are being ripped off by flagging up all the extras?

I paid 51 euros flying EDI - MRS a few weeks ago, which is incredible value, but looking at the breakdown on the confirmation could give some passengers the impression they were being gouged. Also the attitude of MOL towards those who pay his wages could be improved by a visit to charm school. Despite what people say, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

diddley
21st Jul 2009, 12:40
Just heard on the BBC Radio 4 news that Ryanair were consulting with "European Safety bodies" with regard to allowing passengers to stand on board flights !!!! Sureley not ??:confused:

Say again s l o w l y
21st Jul 2009, 12:40
Ryanair might be relatively inexpensive, but it doesn't stop me feeling ripped off. I'd rather pay a bit more and not end up with the feeling of being done over just for having the temerity of buying a ticket.

Flying_Frisbee
21st Jul 2009, 12:59
Today 14:40 Say again s l o w l y
Ryanair might be relatively inexpensive, but it doesn't stop me feeling ripped off. I'd rather pay a bit more and not end up with the feeling of being done over just for having the temerity of buying a ticket.

I've said this before- it takes a special kind of business genius to offer consistently lower fares than your competitors, but still manage to make your customers feel like they're being ripped off.

raffele
21st Jul 2009, 13:46
Just a general point on card charges - I wonder how many people are aware that to process a debit card payment it costs the company, be it Ryanair or your local supermarket, around 20p, and to process a credit card payment it costs the company about 1.5% of the transaction value...