PDA

View Full Version : Charter Airlines Operating to NE Brazil

MacBoero
20th Jul 2009, 13:52
On my last trip to Maceio, Brazil, I recall seeing an Italian charter plane at Maceio International. Sadly I can't remember the name of the airline, and seeing as Thomas Cook and First Choice don't seem to be flying to the NE of Brazil anymore, I am looking for alternatives.

If there is an Italian charter airline operating to Maceio that would be fantastic. Does anyone know of which airline this might have been? And whether or not this is regular route that is still in operation?

Nothrills
20th Jul 2009, 14:08
Could have been Air Italy or Livingston:
Zumbi dos Palmares International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zumbi_dos_Palmares_International_Airport)

MacBoero
20th Jul 2009, 14:09
Livingston, yup! that was it! Thanks! :ok:

Tom the Tenor
20th Jul 2009, 14:36
One of the commerical magazines had a feature on Air Italy 757 operations to a remote airport in Brazil some time ago. Maybe, this is of help? As much as I can remember the flight had a tech stop in Cape Verde before continuing to Brazil and the airport there did not yet have steps high enough for 757 use so great care needed to be taken getting the pax off the aeroplane.

Anyone know why First Choice and Thomas Cook stopped going to Brazil. I would loved to get to visit Brazil - will hardly happen now though!

You win some and you lose some!

MacBoero
20th Jul 2009, 16:49
When I asked them they said there wasn't enough demand. Personally I would be surprised if that is totally true, because around Christmas time it is difficult to get flights to Brazil at all. They get snapped up pretty quickly, and direct flights to the north-east of Brazil are sought after as there isn't generally enough.

It's pretty tiresome if you have to go to Maceio via Rio or Sao Paulo. Basically you cross the Atlantic, cross the Brazilian coast pretty close to Maceio. Four hours later you arrive in Rio or Sao Paulo. Wait for the connecting flight and fly four hours back up again! What a waste of life! :bored:

goldeneye
21st Jul 2009, 19:24
Thomas Cook/MyTravel and Thomson/First Choice pulled Brazil as it was a loss making destination.

pamann
21st Jul 2009, 19:58
Maybe pulled the plug too early seeing the euro is so $hite this summer.

ConstantFlyer
21st Jul 2009, 22:01
A number of North East Brazilian gateways are served by charters from Europe, including Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza. Currently, it's mainly Condor from Frankfurt, and Air Italy and Livingston from Milan and Rome. Most operate once or twice a week. Or try Air Portugal, which has daily scheduled flights from Lisbon, or TAM which has some flights from Paris.