PDA

View Full Version : Highland Airways at Cardiff

leisurelad
20th Jul 2009, 12:19
Hi,

Wondered if anyone has any up to date news as to how the cardiff - anglesey route is doing.

I see they are looking for another cabin crew member so would be interesting to see if any expansion is on the way or is this just for extra cover.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

c.r.m what is it
20th Jul 2009, 16:55
Hi Leisurelad

Think they want the extra crew member to operate one of the daily flights, not for expansion.

My friend works for them, and is doing both the morning and afternoon flight at the moment, and she deffo needs a break.

Hope this is some help!

virginblue
20th Jul 2009, 18:53
How on earth will they be able to keep two F/A busy with four shortish sectors a day, even allowing for holidays, sick leave etc. Are they paying by the hour?

mathers_wales_uk
20th Jul 2009, 21:51
There is not any plans for expansion with HWY at CWL and the subsidised route is only until either march or may next year.

I believe it is to relieve the poor f/a at the moment that is the sole f/a at CWL for HWY and is operating all flights. Natuaraly the F/A will require annual leave etc and what will happen to cover staff sickness?

Hence the reason for seeking a new F/A.

leisurelad
21st Jul 2009, 11:47
Thanks for the replies there.

Well, maybe i will be lucky enough to give the poor girl a break and get back to flying, must be kinda fun working on those little things.

How is the route doing and what happens after the welsh assembly stop funding it, will they continue, is the route making a proffit.

Cheers

aerotech07
21st Jul 2009, 22:03
How is the route doing and what happens after the welsh assembly stop funding it, will they continue, is the route making a proffit.

Passenger numbers are very very good. Profit? Who know's, only Highland will know if its viable without the Welsh assembly money. Also have to consider the terminal facilities at Valley, and whether that would be viable for 2 flights a day on a commercial basis?

I guess its hard to say what will happen until it happens, either the Welsh Assembly will continue funding or they won't, and if they don't it will be a case of if the numbers make sense or not.

virginblue
22nd Jul 2009, 17:05
Does Highland operate any scheduled services on a purely commercial, non-subsidised basis? I think they tried out Inverness-Benbecula nonstops on that basis, but pulled the route rather quicky.

Fuel_on_Mixture_Rich
27th Jul 2009, 13:26
INV - BEB wasn't running for long at all. Was on it once - alone. I think they were looking at picking up health board traffic from the Uists and BEB to Raigmore but that didn't come off, most still went via SYY or directly to GLA (Southern General).

There was also talk of a BEB - ABZ flight but that didn't come to anything - not even positive it was HWY. However I really don't know how that could have worked at all, most of the islanders up there have a requirement to travel to GLA or INV at some point for the reason given above or leisure.

Fly Girl 117
12th Apr 2010, 17:52
Hi,

I was the F/A on the flights and yes i needed a break!!! lol, we seemed to be going through quite a few F/A as they didnt like how small the aircraft was!

I loved working for Highland Airways but sadly it has all come to a end.

Im now trying to work out who the people are who said they know me! lol

Ex Highland Airways solo F/A!!! :)