PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Repatriation Flights Use Lyneham

Artifical Horizon
20th Jul 2009, 10:27
With all the recent unhappy events in Afghanistan there has been plenty of coverage of the return of casualties through Lyneham. The people of Wotton Basset are doing an amazing job in lining the streets. I did wonder why all these flights land at Lyneham rather than Brize Norton where the C17s are based?

fabs
20th Jul 2009, 10:45
Casualties used to be repatriated to Brize. I think it was changed to Lyneham to help with the backlog being experienced by the Oxfordshire Coroner.
I'm pretty sure that was the reason, appologies if I've given a bum steer.

Albert Driver
20th Jul 2009, 11:00
..... a backlog caused by taking his job seriously and asking searching questions, I believe.

FJ2ME
20th Jul 2009, 11:05
I believe that the original move to Lyneham was down to the disruptions at Brize caused by the construction works. I may be wrong however, but I believe the deceased are still taken to John Radcliffe from Lyneham...RIP

VinRouge
20th Jul 2009, 11:30
The Oxfordshire coroner is still used. I believe the move happened due to Catara/Future Brize building work.

isaneng
20th Jul 2009, 11:35
Having been at Brize at the time, and then back to Lyneham, the explanation given was the CATARA disruption. The Oxford coroners workload was a recognised problem, but was never quoted as a causal factor.

SVK
20th Jul 2009, 12:10
I seem to recall elements of all of the above. I also recall that back in 2005 they looked at LYN prior to BZN's 'bolthole' to Fairford whilst their runway was re-done. The plans were drawn up just in time, tragically, to repatriate the 179 Boys.

I would hazard a guess that practically speaking, repatriating to LYN allows BZN to function continuously.

It is a tragic honour and sombre priviledge to continue to do so and a duty that LYN would always carry out whole-heartedly.

moosemaster
20th Jul 2009, 13:09
179 was a special case, and in my view C17 shouldn't have brought the guys back at all (not in a nasty way). I personally feel they should have been brought home in Albert!

However, they went into theatre by C17, and they came back by C17. It was done how it was done.

As another who operated from BZN and was often (sadly) involved directly with repatriations, the only reason given (at least to me) for the move was the building work for the new dispersal/apron area. It was not the disruption to the work that was the leading factor either as the work was to be carried out overnight, but more the fact that it wasn't deemed dignified enough for the families concerned.

Quite right in my books, and as far as I know, no-one has ever complained about the change. Yes, it adds time to the crew day. Yes, occasionally another crew must be driven over to bring budha back. Still, no-one ever complains, and I'm pretty certain no-one ever will.

I'm not sure why it continues to be Lye as I left some while ago now and have not returned to either LYe or Bzn for many months now. Is the work still ongoing?

Tappers Dad
20th Jul 2009, 13:44
Artifical Horizon

All Repatriation Flights used to land at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire they then came under the Oxfordshire coroner. Now it depends which story you wish to believe.

Story 1
The Oxfordshire coroner had a backlog of cases yes but he was also very critical of the government and this is why they were moved to Lyneham, where they come under the Wiltshire coroner.

Story 2
They were re-laying the runway at Brize Norton.

All then go to the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford because they have a special Arrmed Forces Department of Pathology there.

Twon
20th Jul 2009, 14:26
Not sure how this will be taken but maybe consideration was given to avoiding outgoing soldiers, sailors and airmen seeing any repatriations? This is a possible factor for Lynham's continued use but I could be wrong.

November4
20th Jul 2009, 15:48
where they come under the Wiltshire coroner.

Who was just as thorough as the Oxfordshire coroner...

Faithless
20th Jul 2009, 18:27
But try and take that away from the fantastic people of WB:D

It's the way it is now and massive amount of respect to the Village.:ok:

I'd like to say it won't be for much longer, but unfortunately I cannot!

God Bless our Glorious Dead.

old developer
21st Jul 2009, 16:32
SVK, spot on post, and a sentiment that will be endorsed throughout Station:

moosemaster
22nd Jul 2009, 08:37
Tappers Dad,

Your post has 2 flaws.

1; The govt had already provided extra assistance to the Oxfordshire coroner to clear the backlog, support which was NOT duplicated for the Wiltshire coroner (however that may now have been rectified.

2; Repatriations were returned to BZN after the runway had been re-laid in 2005. They were moved again shortly before work began on the aircraft manoeuvering area. I do not know how far the work has progressed though.

As much as I enjoy slagging off politicians, I'm 99.9% certain that this time, the decision is not a political one, and did in fact take account of the service personnel and families involved.

Twon,

Credit must be given to the planners in this respect. To the best of my knowledge, no outgoing troops are in a position to witness the repatriations because the planners have accounted for any flight delays, or have dispatched the flights early to ensure the smooth running of both the air-bridge, and the repatriation. When performing these sad tasks, it's best not to have a lounge full of passengers, regardless of who they are.

SVK, Faithless

I couldn't have put it better myself. :D