PDA

View Full Version : Approach Climb Performance A-320

A-3TWENTY
20th Jul 2009, 01:03
Hi Folks ,

Where can I find the approach climb performance , for airports whose claimb gradient for the GA is greater than the standard 2.1% / 2.5% ??

Thanks in advance ,

A-3TWENTY

JABBARA
20th Jul 2009, 02:28
Hi

Those gradients are not airport related, they are Airworthiness related.

So the source is JAR 25 or FAR 25.

Regards

john_tullamarine
20th Jul 2009, 02:32
In the Flight Manual, if you have to do the sums yourself.

Otherwise, your company will (should ?) have the data either implicitly (buried within the landing weight data) or explicitly (as a separate set of climb data) in the Operations Manual.

As I recall, the Airbus doesn't have a paper performance data set so the information will be in the approved computer program

Those gradients are not airport related, they are Airworthiness related.

Yes .. and, no. The basic WAT gradients are out of the design standards but, if that doesn't get you over the hilltops, you need to go into the AFM data to figure out lower weights which will provide a better gradient to suit the terrain.

Jimmy Do Little
20th Jul 2009, 04:15
With the A320 operators who are still using paper, the page you're looking for will often be in the "Octopus Charts" manual (RTOW Book), provided that your performance engineering department decided to generate it for you.

Typically, that manual is assembled as....

W&B data (Single Page)
Chart index
Approach Climb Gradient (SE conf 3 / 2)
Vmmu reference page
Specific Airport RTOW charts

Normally, read the required gradient across the top of the page, field elevation on the left, then landing weight limit in the body of the page. Reduce the landing weight, or use "Conf3" for landing (Conf2 for GA) to comply.

Otherwise, sharpen your pencil and open FCOM 2.

A-3TWENTY
20th Jul 2009, 08:42
Otherwise, sharpen your pencil and open FCOM 2.

It`s not there..At the FCOM 2 you will find just for the standard 2,1/2.5% ...

A-3TWENTY

Jimmy Do Little
20th Jul 2009, 09:42
It`s not there..At the FCOM 2 you will find just for the standard 2,1/2.5% ...

Did you find the "Obstacle Clearance Charts - Take-ff path"? I realise that we are talking about go-around, but use the chart (and a pencil) and you should be able to work up something based on where the obstacle is located, what flap conf you use for the go-around, and what altitude you begin your go-around from, etc, etc

It's the same data that your performance engineers use.

That said, the calculatation (Perf Data) must come from an approved source before you can use it - computer, data set, etc.

john_tullamarine
20th Jul 2009, 22:08
I realise that we are talking about go-around

I'm not an Airbus man .. but, are the speeds the same ? If not, your argument will fail ?

Jimmy Do Little
21st Jul 2009, 14:37
Actually, I had a similar question about it relating to the altitude. But, when I put the question to one of our Flight Planning guys - performance engineer - he showed me how this procedure would work - with the caveat - that it would not be approved, blah, blah.

Disclaimer: Only your companies approved data and SOP is permitted for operations purposes.

It is the "Operators Responsibility" to provide the data/ procedure, when the aircraft can not comply with the standard missed approach climb gradient, etc, etc.

FatFlyer
21st Jul 2009, 21:40
Hi,
My understanding is that if you require a higher than normal missed approach climb gradient (eg Oporto) it will say so on the approach plate.

To check whether or not you can make this gradient, you can run the FOVE landing module and it will tell you the gradient that you should achieve with those flight conditions.

john_tullamarine
21st Jul 2009, 22:15
he showed me how this procedure would work - with the caveat - that it would not be approved,

It would be a strange setup for an operator's ops engineering section not to issue company-authorised data ? Perhaps the problem was that your colleague was not in the relevant engineering group (regardless of his background) - showed you a way of doing the work - but noted that his output didn't come over the required signature - hence his information would not be company approved ?