PDA

View Full Version : Pig strike!

Jetset320
19th Jul 2009, 19:56
As if swine flu wasn't enough........!

Incident: Kingfisher AT72 at Nagpur on Jul 17th 2009, pig strike
By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jul 18th 2009 13:21Z, last updated Saturday, Jul 18th 2009 13:21Z

A Kingfisher Aerospatiale ATR-72-500, flight IT-2802 from Indore to Nagpur (India) with 56 passengers and 4 crew, had just touched down at Nagpur's runway, when three pigs darted across the runway. The crew could not avoid hitting at least one of the pigs. The airplane stopped safely, an immediate inspection revealed no obvious damage, so that the airplane taxied to the apron, where the passengers disembarked normally.

The airplane has to undergo a thorough inspection, a replacement aircraft was scheduled to complete the remaining sector of the flight to Hyderabad.

Source Aviation Herald

vapilot2004
19th Jul 2009, 19:59
It's a good thing they don't fly.

Fly-by-Wife
19th Jul 2009, 20:31
The crew could not avoid hitting at least one of the pigs.

A case of swine flew.

FBW

MPH
19th Jul 2009, 23:19
Oink!!!!
;)

powerstall
20th Jul 2009, 00:35
if only pigs could fly....:eek:

IndAir967
20th Jul 2009, 02:42
Not long ago did one of my friend(FO) ran into a dog on the runway at HAL Airport bangalore... :ouch:
now a pig..
am sure a couple of birds were on the list in between these two incidents..:8
what next ?
well blue cross monitoring kingfisher i suppose:p

bcgallacher
20th Jul 2009, 05:12
Some years ago I was involved in the aftermath of an incident in Manila where a woman was hit by a 737 landing on the main runway - there were squatters and even an illegal piggery on the airport at that time - took 4 days to find all her component parts.Right gear suffered enough damage to be out of service for a day or 2.

ecureilx
20th Jul 2009, 08:01
Surely Manila and Philippines Airport security has improved a lot .. other than the occasional son of a aiport chief using the runway to teach his girl friend how to drive, on the "ACTIVE RUNWAY" :mad: :mad:

I believe that secondary airports will always insufficient fencing, and this can always lead to a stray cat/dog/pig/cow wading in ..

if only they legalised Electric Fences in India !!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

jetzup
20th Jul 2009, 08:49
AI hit a stray cow last year when they landed at Uttar Pradesh airport, when there were no reports of mad cow disease, frightening small children.and adult pax alike.

AI again last year, a cobra managed to sneak into its A-319 ..

Pilots had to make a go around call after spotting a hyena on the runway on Nagpur-Kolkata flight delaying jet airways Jan 2009.

Electric fence's a good idea ecurelix

wonder if PETA has been alerted, maybe they can do something to contribute to aviation safety..also safety of pigs n other animals considering the airport management doesn't seem to have it under control:}

bcgallacher
20th Jul 2009, 14:10
The sheep on some of the Scottish island airfields used to sleep on the warm runways but before an aircraft landed they would get up and amble off - then return after the departure - I think they knew the schedules!