PDA

View Full Version : Airbus320 type rating

onlybyplane
19th Jul 2009, 11:06
Hi guys,
I want to make the type rating on the a320. who can suggest me the best trtoes where to make it?

thanks for your answer

onlybyplane:ok:

ACP
19th Jul 2009, 11:36
Just for info,
I did an initial A320 type rating a few years ago, I did a recurrent PPC last year ...sent more than a thousand CVs, went to Turkey, talked to some chief pilots, got a contract form an airline in Turkey (pay to fly) but didn't work as they were short on training captains for more than 8 months (so I gave up). I have been more than 3 years on the waiting list of a well known pay to fly organization.

I have a lot of friends (that I met during my training) who are also rated on the A320, you know what: NO ONE HAS FOUND A JOB ON THE A320.
When the economy was well few years ago, I went to Turkey and we were about 25 pilots A320 rated who were ready to pay for line training (and most of them were guys with more than 1000 hrsTT with PIC time on turboprop).

SO I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK WITH THE A320 RATING :ok:

Kirks gusset
20th Jul 2009, 09:57
We have just taken on some very low hours guys that did a 320 Type Rating and line sectors, and although we operate mixed fleet, it is really only the Airbus side where we are expanding, sadly, 737 contract guys are plentiful at the moment. I would suggest you get the A320 rating and a prompt start with line training, after 150 hrs you can get a job in todays market provided your up to speed. We use two feeder TRTOs for the inexperienced pilots and all are vetted by Bleriot before we take them on.. hope this helps

onlybyplane
20th Jul 2009, 20:33
thanks a lot for your post but, wich are the good trto? Lh training, FSC training, SAS flight Academy, Pan am academy, cockpit4u?

there are a lot and if i have to choose asccording the sim hours:

52 hrs: LH FSC SAS PAN am
44 hrs: c4u

ground course with istructor + cbt: Pan Am C4U
cbt only: LH FSC SAS

base check costs: < 5000 euro LH PAN AM C4U
> 5000 all the other

any suggestion?:ugh:

Kirks gusset
20th Jul 2009, 21:55
OBP,

With respect you don't select the TRTO based on the sim hours as all the courses are JAA compliant, you must select on which provides the best training and on completion what you are able to achieve. If you but the rating with no line training or there is a long delay before line training, the course is a complete waste of time and money. You should select a TRTO that provides the whole package, and not signs you up to an hours building program with long delays or questionable quality. Send me a PM and I will be happy to give you my opinions as a TRI and A320 LTC, but not associated with a particular TRTO

unimuts
21st Jul 2009, 16:29
But Kirks G who is it you work for thats taking on type rated low houred guys ?

Uni

Kirks gusset
21st Jul 2009, 19:00
unimuts,

If you are type rated send me a pm. All the low hour guys bought 200hrs line training before starting and rolled into summer contracts. We do not take guys with a rating and no time on type.

trienebiene
21st Jul 2009, 21:56
I think LFT is quite good...have you already choosen?

Greetings from Germany

onlybyplane
21st Jul 2009, 22:29
not yet... i hope this week..

Superpilot
22nd Jul 2009, 09:24
Kirks,

I can only imagine you are referring to a handful of Oxford Aviation Academy cadets who after forking out the best part of £70k for their fATPL, bought an A320 rating with line hours costing them another £35k.

I do believe the airline in question only hired them because they were Oxford Integrated Students.

And....

If you but the rating with no line training or there is a long delay before line training, the course is a complete waste of time and money.

Surely this depends on individual circumstances and abilities to remember and learn well.

Kirks gusset
23rd Jul 2009, 10:00
Superpilot,

None of the candidates were integrated students, they came from modular courses, some had trained in SA, some in Spain and the rest UK. Mixed nationalities, curiously only two British, however we do love talking ourselves into gloom and doom here!

I stand by my thoughts on the rating and no line training as I see these guys on a daily basis.. as for individual circumstances.. sure if your'e loaded and can sit things out, that's one view. The real problem is recency, and even the most experienced jet pilot will go off the boil after a few months, both technically and operationally, it,s simply a capacity thing, basically if we don't use it we loose it! If you can afford to keep current with sim practice in a multi crew environment, and bone up on the tech stuff, apart from the capacity you stand a chance... unfortunately most SSTR students are short of funds and this is not the case.

I interviewed a person yesterday, whom had spent over 100k getting the CPL, with ATPL credits and was looking at spending another 38k on a SSTR with line training.. the later made sense.. but 100k on an Frozen ATPL? Mind you they enjoyed the two years in the States doing it!