PDA

View Full Version : Korean B 777 Captain info please

White Sausage
19th Jul 2009, 10:37
Gents,
I am captain on 777 for a large middle eastern carrier that screws us over since 2 years or so. My sh:mad:tbucket is full now and therefore I am seriously considering jumping ships. I am thinking of joining KE on the 777 and living in LAX. Therefore my questions: Can you bid for LAX flights out of ICN? How likely is it to get these flights? Where else does the 777 fly to? How is the treatment of 777 captains by KE/FOīs/cabin crew? What is good/bad about the whole outfit? Can you change your base (LAX) to another one every now and then?
Please donīt tell me to do a search, I have done it. I would like to know specifically for the 777.
Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!

kk pilot
19th Jul 2009, 14:48
KAL does have it's commuting advantages but don't assume for a second that you can just show up for a job - I know some highly qualified 777 Capts who have not been hired - even after staying for the full 3-day interview process and feeling good about their chances . It's a very tough job to get at the moment. Also, it's a tough job to keep - read some past threads about the training and you'll see. But, with that said, you do what you gotta do.

fullforward
19th Jul 2009, 15:06
Don't ever think to resign from your current job in the assumption you can nicely slide into KAL.
I know at least 10 ( and I mean 10) extremely qualified B777 skippers that were dismissed at different stages from KAL: in the very beginning of the training, in the middle, final check and routine checks.
And KAL is even more picky now, with the surplus of qualified manpower available.

Sky Dancer
19th Jul 2009, 19:22
It just amazes me that for all their so called high standards , they have such a poor safety record...:ok:

zlin77
19th Jul 2009, 19:25
Not normally possible to bid for flights in KAL, sometimes a request to the rostering dept. might work, but no guarantees. It can be difficult to jump through all the hoops to pass the training phase, however for those pılots who are willing to dump all the procedures learnt in their former operation and embrace KAL SOP's to the extreme and not question/argue about thıngs, generally make it through, I can only speak from experience as a former KAL 777 expat.

White Sausage
20th Jul 2009, 12:03
Thanks for the warning, I know about that. Iīve read a lot about their funny training and the sky high failure rate...sounds scary in deed. As I said, I am just thinking about it, I donīt take anything for granted and I appreciate your post. Thanks!

1000 hrs
21st Jul 2009, 12:45
Firstly find the right agency (korean own is strongly recommended).
The rest will be easily flown.:D:D:D