PDA

View Full Version : Icao Jar Faa

Stilton1
19th Jul 2009, 08:45
Please could someone just simply explain to me what the difference is..

I want to work in Tanzania and I have a Frozen ATPL (JAR) at present.

Is this an ICAO based CPL?

Can I fly commercially in Africa?

Do I have to convert to FAA?

I want to work for MAF and all they say is a ICAO based CPL.

I really don't get it! I know that I am a dunce! Sorry.

Help!

Bealzebub
19th Jul 2009, 12:04
From the ICAO website:
ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.

You would be hard pushed to find many states that are not signatories to the ICAO. The USA and all of the European subscribed JAA member states certainly are.

I want to work in Tanzania and I have a Frozen ATPL (JAR) at present. Is this an ICAO based CPL?

Then you have a CPL and it will depend on the Tanzanian aviation authorities requirements for conversion or validation in accordance with the above paragraph.

Can I fly commercially in Africa? Africa is a continent of many countries and it would depend on the requirements of the particular country you wished to work in and or the requirements of the country where the aircaft you hope to fly are registered.

Do I have to convert to FAA?

Not unless that is a requirement of a particular employer or aviation authority.

bfisk
20th Jul 2009, 12:00
Your JAA CPL is ICAO based, yes.

IF you would have to convert to FAA, that's a fairly straight forward procedure, mostly paperwork, as opposed to going the other way. The whole ordeal could possibly be sorted out after employment, should you be so lucky...

Stilton1
21st Jul 2009, 08:03
Thank you you are brilliant - I feel reassured. Thanks again. Regards