PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think??

scott5988
18th Jul 2009, 16:59
Hi, guys

I have heard this expression from highly experienced pilots, other opinions would be great! "now is the best time to train to be a commercial pilot as once training has finished the economey will be on its way to recovery"

cheers :ok:

scott

Whirlygig
18th Jul 2009, 17:03
I think this has been asked before on here and IIRC, the answer was something along the lines of .... "cobblers".

Cheers

Whirls

Flintstone
18th Jul 2009, 17:15
Yup, it's true.

Along with 'The cheque's in the post', 'Of course I'll respect you in the morning' and............ummmmm, can anyone tell me the third one? ;)

buzzc152
18th Jul 2009, 19:31
As far as the pilot training industry goes 'now'is always the best time to start. They were saying that 2 years ago, they were saying that 2 before that and they'll still be saying that 2 years from now.

Make your own decision.

potkettleblack
18th Jul 2009, 20:36
Ah these great old chestnuts. Those of us that will have been around a few years will remember pre 9/11 when a certain FTO North of London were telling all that would listen that modular was not the way forward and you would never be employed by an airline unless you went on one of their integrated thingimy whatsit courses. A few months later after all of their airline clients (BA, Emirates, Aer Lingus etc) cancelled cadet courses then modular seemed to be the flavour of the month and they were more than happy to take your money. Rule no. 1 of flying training is never believe a word that an FTO tells you.

ReverseFlight
19th Jul 2009, 06:07
Our FW FTO is crammed full of students and can't wait to add on more junior instructors and promote existing instructors to higher seniority, all on the back of a view that the industry is going to come back soon. Of course it's great for FTOs. In the RW training industry, the view for many years has been "the old Vietnam veterans are retiring soon" and I'm sure they'll be saying the same thing in 10 years' time.

Have your own crystal ball. :ok:

scott5988
19th Jul 2009, 12:10
Cool, thanks for replys guys, i have already committed, as im off to BCFT in October. just thought it would be nice to see eveyones veiws.

scott :ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Jul 2009, 14:00
Crap plan. Stop. You're not committed to anything.

Frankly Mr Shankly
19th Jul 2009, 14:11
Scott, why ON EARTH, would you go into it now, flying in the face of all that's been said???

Just why???? Honestly...........

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/381829-advice-after-finishing-training.html

Don't end up in that very rickety same boat. It will pick up, just not yet or for a while yet, why would you put yourself in that position when you have the choice now to hang fire???

Good luck, but I wouldn't.

scott5988
19th Jul 2009, 14:17
Do you still think this is still such a bad idea as i have 30K of my own money and i have a fall back career, as i am a fully qualified electrical engineer!

S :ok:

Frankly Mr Shankly
19th Jul 2009, 14:23
Well admittedly that's more than most have got, however it doesn't alter the fact there are scant jobs around if any, I don't see the point in training at a time like this, only to then have to keep current at one's own expense etc. Only my personal opinion, but I still wouldn't.

Good luck though. :)

Whirlygig
19th Jul 2009, 14:25
In a nutshell? Yes.

Best to stick to the day job for another year or so and then consider training otherwise you'll end up being a fresh-faced, low-houred fATPL with very few employment prospects and an expensive licence on which to maintain currency.

Cheers

Whirls

scott5988
19th Jul 2009, 14:49
Hi,

I have a garenteed job on return from training at current company with a good wedge every week. Im at Bornemouth for 6 months doing my G/S, back for 6 months working, over for I/R, back for 3 months working, over for CPL, working for 3 again then finish with MCC

Thats the plan anyway!!

S :ok:

Whirlygig
19th Jul 2009, 15:55
No job is guaranteed. Really, NO JOB is guaranteed.

However, you do want you think. I wouldn't, others wouldn't but hey, what do we know?

Cheers

Whirls

TheBeak
19th Jul 2009, 17:40
A 'fully qualified electrical engineer' and 30K saved up all at the age of 20, you've been a busy chap. Don't waste your opportunity. Read these words carefully or they WILL ring in your ears. LEAVE IT FOR THE MOMENT. I agree whole heartedly to train while the economy is down. Wait until Jan 2011 I'd say at a guestimate. 6 months of GS takes you to July - as good as the weather will get for CPL and VFR stuff. Then IR and a small wait until the bulk of airline recruiment starts in the following winter months Jan 2012. And in the meantime you could make that 30K into 35-40K.

geordiejet
19th Jul 2009, 17:41
If you do have a guaranteed job, then why bother asking?

Bealzebub
19th Jul 2009, 18:35
Since you can afford it, and have already decided to do it, and have a guaranteed job to return to, then why not!

Flying schools, just like airlines, need to survive in these difficult times. They need customers with the money to walk through the door. Their employees also rely on the continuing turnover of trade.

If you can afford to fly first class and take three holidays a year then yes keep on doing it, because either mine or someones elses job depends on you and others to keep spending.

I have heard this expression from highly experienced pilots, other opinions would be great! "now is the best time to train to be a commercial pilot as once training has finished the economey will be on its way to recovery"

Whilst I cannot say that I have heard it from any experienced pilots, you might be right. Given that you are not going out on a limb based on this "expression" then what does it matter?

Good luck.

smith
19th Jul 2009, 21:54
Why bother asking your initial question if you already have your mind made up?