PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Adds on PPRuNe

birrddog
17th Jul 2009, 19:22
Today I have been getting a series of annoying adds (all for Vonage) on the top left of my PPRuNe pages, not allowing me to see some content, select create new thread or select other forums.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

I am fully supportive of ads paying for this forum, but when they become a nuisance and remove ones ability to use and enjoy the forum, the diminish the value of the forum and my willingness to put up with the ads.

I wouldn't want to be forced to start using an ad blocker.

Mike-Bracknell
17th Jul 2009, 19:42
Not seen them personally myself?

green granite
17th Jul 2009, 19:43
I wouldn't want to be forced to start using an ad blocker.

Why not? A lot of us do.

birrddog
17th Jul 2009, 19:49
Because 4 or so innoculous adds that pay for this site are not annoying and pay for us to enjoy prooning.

The one big annoying one covering my proon page however, would make me more so inclined.

Saab Dastard
17th Jul 2009, 20:06
AdBlock or similar - go for it! :ok:

SD

Sprogget
17th Jul 2009, 20:35
You know, you're probably not meant to say that SD.:}:=

ericlday
17th Jul 2009, 20:47
But it works, that's all that matters.

Out Of Trim
17th Jul 2009, 20:57
Ads - What Ads? :) Hav'nt seen any for a couple of years! :E

If a site wants to show annoying, in your face ads - I'm not going to let them interfere with my enjoyment of a site.

Google - Hosts File to gain control of your computer!

birrddog
17th Jul 2009, 21:17
must be a problem with the site... all the adds have disappeared all of a sudden :ok:

Tinstaafl
18th Jul 2009, 00:10
I wouldn't mind ads on a site if they were small, static, don't occlude content and made no noise. But they don't! They nearly all exhibit one or more of the above. Especially the flickering, changing sort. Our vision system has evolved to take notice of movement (or change) such that our attention is all but forced towards the movement. It's so distracting it's annoying!

So, bit of an own goal for those advertising sponsors because it caused me to use a proxy server to filter the crap before I see the page. All I get is blank space with a small '[ad]' label. If that doesn't work and I really need to use the site for some reason then I have a simple policy: I don't buy products or services from vendors who think that annoying a potential customer is a valid way to ask for my custom.

---------------------
Advertisers: Shooting themselves in the foot, one flickering, noisy, interfering ad at a time.

Atlas Shrugged
18th Jul 2009, 04:18
Firefox + AdBlocker = no ads - ever!

BOAC
18th Jul 2009, 08:22
+ FlashKiller

frostbite
18th Jul 2009, 11:42
Agree with Tinstaafi. The only ads I ever block are those distracting moving/flashing ones.

The recent BAA one with the zooming jet being a classic case.

Duck Rogers
18th Jul 2009, 11:53
You know, you're probably not meant to say that SD.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif:=

He's not the only one either ;)