PDA

View Full Version : Will a Clarinet be allowed as hand luggage?

You want it when?
17th Jul 2009, 12:00
My 10 year old wants to take his clarinet to France this summer - so he can play some jazz for his Granddad (a promise made at a funeral).

He is quite happy to have it as his only carry on luggage and it is small enough (broken down) but will it cause problems with security? It could probably go in the suitcase in the hold but he treasures it highly - even above his PSP!

It's a RyanAir flight Stanstead to Toulon if that makes any difference.

Much Obliged.

Gibon2
17th Jul 2009, 12:18
As it happens, I was just rooting through Easyjet's terms and conditions, in search of something completely unrelated, when I came across the interesting fact that clarinets are among the musical instruments (along with trumpets, flutes, piccolos and bugles) that Easyjet will accept as cabin baggage. And then I came here and saw your post. Weird.

Anyway, I don't imagine it's different for Ryanair, as long as the case fits within the size and weight limits, and your son doesn't have any other hand luggage. If you should encounter turbulence during the flight, he could try playing Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" - please report the reactions of your fellow passengers to Rainboe.

You want it when?
17th Jul 2009, 13:03
Obliged - should have thought of checking the T&C's. It would appear the answer is Yes.

"Ride of the Valkyries" is beyond him but he does a mean "Pink Panther" and should have "Take 5" sorted by the time he goes LOL. :ok:

HandyAndy
17th Jul 2009, 13:05
I have carried mine in the cabin may times (in addition to my laptop bag).

Airlines vary of course so I would check beforehand though just in case (no pun!), as you don't want to put that in your hold baggage.

Capetonian
17th Jul 2009, 16:15
I wouldn't assume that just because Easyjet accept it, Ryanair will.

The latter will always look for a reason to hound a customer for extra charges whereas the former will usually act reasonably and in accordance with documented procedures. You'll most likely find that Ryanair's website says something like 'we may, at our final and sole discretion, accept certain musical instruments for carriage as cabin baggage'.

I haven't looked at their website and I could be wrong but if I were debating this in the pub I'd happily wager a round of drinks that I'm right!