PDA

View Full Version : Are there any profitable EU 19-seat ops?

Winniebago
16th Jul 2009, 19:00
At the smallest end of the sector, are there any healthy/profitable routes in UK/Europe these days using 19-seaters?

Thinking Beech 1900's, J31s, Metros, L410s, Dornier 228s, even Twin Otters?

Also, on those routes that exist, are there airports using those aircraft that don't bother with the security screening because they don't need to? For example UK NASP requirements kick in for aircraft over 19 seats and over 10 tones MTOW.

Thinking ultra-fast check-in, boarding, zero hold luggage, all carry-on etc. 10 minute turnaround stuff.

Any ideas on ACMI costs for any 19-seaters or dry lease costs?

MUFC_fan
16th Jul 2009, 19:20
The airline that definitely springs to mind is Manx2.

They fly ACMI Let 410s, Metro IIIs and Dornier 228s from the Isle of Man to Blackpool, Belfast (International & City), East Midlands, Jersey and Gloucester. They have been flying for 3 years now so I guess they are making some money unless somebody is very persistent and has pockets of money.

Blue Islands on the Channel Islands, Aer Arann on the Irish West coast and Loganair in the Highlands also spring to mind (they are subsidised however). Google them.

lbalad
16th Jul 2009, 21:58
They also do IOM-LBA,saw a Dornier at LBA yesterday I believe.

MUFC_fan
16th Jul 2009, 22:00
They also do IOM-LBA,saw a Dornier at LBA yesterday I believe.

Sorry...I knew I missed one!:}

matspart3
16th Jul 2009, 22:21
Manx2's routes from Gloucester have been a huge success for exactly the reasons you mention. Security still applies (19 seats or more) but turnaround and pax handling is very quick and easy. No ATC delays, short taxi time etc. also helps. The punters love it.

ajdm
16th Jul 2009, 22:26
Are there any profitable EU 19-seat ops?Blue Islands on the Channel IslandsAre you sure about that? :hmm:

MUFC_fan
16th Jul 2009, 22:30
Blue Islands on the Channel Islands, Aer Arann on the Irish West coast and Loganair in the Highlands also spring to mind (they are subsidised however). Google them.

Please read closely - I said to 'google' them implying I didn't know.

GLOworm
16th Jul 2009, 22:37
Are Manx2 going to start any of the new routes from Gloucester that they were talking about?

nospeedrestriction9
18th Jul 2009, 18:16
Blue Islands.... profitable.... yeah right. I don't think so somehow.

It looses cash faster than you can print it!

MUFC_fan
18th Jul 2009, 18:24
NO ONE HAS SAID THEY ARE PROFITABLE!!!!!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

RSOL
23rd Jul 2009, 16:16
Ilses of Scilly Skybus in Cornwall operate 3 DH6 Twin Otters and 3 BN2 Islanders.
They have several routes from the Ilses of Scilly(ISC)to:
Lands End(LEQ)
Newquay(NQY)
Exeter(EXT)
Bristol(BRS)
Southampton(SOU)
Last year they purchased a 3rd DH6 Twin Otter and began routes from Newquay(NQY) to St Brieuc(SBK) in Brittany.

Skybus is Owned by Isles of Scilly Steamship company who also own and run the ScillonianIII passenger ferry between Penzance and St Marys.

At NQY i know all PAX and bags are security screened alongside every other airline that operates out of there, but not sure at the smaller airports like Lands End or Ilses of Scilly.

MUFC_fan
23rd Jul 2009, 19:00
Good example. I believe they have their own AOC if I am not mistaken?

xtypeman
23rd Jul 2009, 19:31
Dont forget Aurigny with there Trislanders as well.

RSOL
23rd Jul 2009, 20:29
I don't think aurigny can count as a true 19 seater operation as they also run ATR72s.