PDA

View Full Version : Military pensions to be affected by shock public body failure.

Al R
16th Jul 2009, 06:02
BBC NEWS | Business | 'Collective failure' hit pensions (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8152377.stm)

On the plus side, it looks like the RAF and Navy will be ok.

Retired soldiers, doctors, nurses and teachers were all affected by the administration blunder, with 31,000 set to see their income drop next year.

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2009, 06:19
Mrs PN got a 10% uplift.

Who is affected?

Those overpaid include former armed services personnel, NHS staff, teachers and judicial and civil service pensioners.

Looks like the main article was the usual accurate BBC reportage.

Will pensioners have to pay back the money?

Chancellor Alistair Darling has promised that this will not happen but added that it "will be necessary to adjust what's paid for the future". . .

But they won't continue to be overpaid will they?

Not in England they won't. The Cabinet Office says "some pensioners will have their payments reduced and others will see increases in their payments in 2009 which are less than the annual inflation uprating". However the SNP says it will continue to overpay all those pensioners whose payments it has power over in Scotland.

What about ex-patriate Scots?

Wrathmonk
16th Jul 2009, 07:25
Not new (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7784883.stm)news.

And I believe, but don't quote me, that all those affected have been written to and advised already.

There was a thread on the topic but my search skills couldn't find it!

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2009, 07:34
Wrathmonk, there is a new aspect. Mrs PN got the first letter but it didn't say whether she had been over or under paid. Then she got the under paid letter and additional money a few months ago.

I think what is new is that current payments may be reduced but that overpayments will not be reclaimed.

Al R
16th Jul 2009, 07:38
Wrathmonk,

Yeah, I was one of 'em. I have claimed lost interest but I am being told that because of various laws of triviality, I'm not able to. How many thousands of people are being told this by the Veteran's Agency one wonders, and how much is being withheld at the pensioner's expense?

(I think the argument used, was 'If you had worked harder at school, you wouldn't have had such a measley, trivial pension in the first place')

Wrathmonk
16th Jul 2009, 08:25
Al / PN

Doh! That'll teach me for posting way too early in the morning (for me anyway!).:\