PDA

View Full Version : Frequency Question

Skyfan
15th Jul 2009, 21:36
Hey folks,

This is my first post so apologies for any errors or omissions. My question is pretty straightforward. I recently bought my first decent scanner and have spent the last evening or two entering frequencies from a small booklet provided. In the booklet are main frequencies followed by further entries, usually in higher ranges.

Are these likely to be secondary freqs or are they worth entering in their own right?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

SNS3Guppy
15th Jul 2009, 21:41
Skyfan,

Without having any idea what's in your book, it's hard to say.

Each airport will have it's own frequencies assigned to each component of the control process. A frequency will be assigned to deliver instrument clearances to pilots, a separate one for ground control, one or more for the tower, multiple frequencies for departure and arrival, etc. In flight each parcel of airspace is divided up geographically as well as by altitude...parcels may be stacked on top of one another or overlapping, each with their own frequencies.

If you can contact a local flight school in the area you wish to monitor, you may be able to get some instrument approach charts or other forms of frequency information. A local flight instructor should be happy to help you obtain the information you want, for your specific location.

Skyfan
15th Jul 2009, 22:06
Hey SNS3Guppy,

Thanks for that. It's pretty obvious from looking at it which are the tower, depart, arrivals etc etc. It's actually quite a good little guide. Based on your post I'd guess the others are different levels (the frequencies go up in steps left to right) Only ever borrowed scanners before and this ones a bit of a beast to set up, but if a jobs worth doing.....

Cheers