PDA

View Full Version : Fear of heights when "connected" but not when airborne ...

Jumbo Driver
15th Jul 2009, 21:03
There is a fascinating thread (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/381190-how-many-pilots-afraid-heights.html) over in JB about fear of heights and how common this is among pilots. From the responses already, it would seem that many share this irrational fear when "connected" to the ground and not when acually flying.

I first became aware of this when walking along a footpath which contoured a progressively steepening slope (R-L) down to the beach in Cornwall, some 30-odd years' ago. I suddenly felt quite dizzy and just had to sit down, then tried to compose myself and rationalise the feelings; after a while, I retreated carefully back from whence I had come, feeling rather unsure of my own security and also more than a little perplexed as to why the feeling had suddenly appeared. I was also (unnecessarily, as it turned out) anxious as to whether the experience would affect my future as an already-practising professional pilot. Fortunately, it did not and I have never - either before or after that incident - had any such fear when airborne in any aircraft, large or small (microlights included).

There have been a few instances, however, when that feeling has re-appeared for me when "connected" to the ground. On one occasion, it recurred in a high-rise hotel room with a small balcony (in MIA). I spent an entire afternoon (pre-flight rest when I couldn't sleep!) trying to analyse that rather compelling feeling of almost falling as I approached the perfectly adequate and secure handrails at the balcony edge, how close I could get before the feeling overtook me, how long the feeling took to dissipate, and so on. It was interesting but inconclusive and the sensation occurred whether or not I was holding the handrail. Whatever I tried, I seemed unable to overcome or even reduce that compelling sensation, despite much repetition. Later that evening, I operated back to UK and the flight was entirely normal and I was totally unaffected by my afternoon's experimentation.

It seems from the responses to the JB thread that a significant number of fellow professionals share this "phobia", if indeed that is what it is.

Can anyone shed any light on the psychology behind these sensations, as they seem to be rather in conflict with our accepted professional competences? Also, is it possible to learn to reduce or even eliminate these frustrating sensations?

JD
:)