PDA

View Full Version : Why on the move?

chips101
15th Jul 2009, 20:32
Having just watched a seaside rescue programme I have a question. It always seems when helicopter winching takes place the boat and helicopter are on the move! To my ignorant way of thinking it would be easier if the boat and helicopter kept still! My greatest respects to all helicpoter pilots especially those involved in rescues.

Ascend Charlie
15th Jul 2009, 21:04
Because the downwash from the helicopter can blow the boat around. If it is under way, it is better able to steer a straight line and the chopper can stay overhead. It also gives a bit of stabilising airflow which also helps a bit with power requirements. A minor bonus is that it leaves some of the downwash wake circles behind, and these expanding circles give the pilot the visual impression that the aircraft is moving backwards.

Um... lifting...
15th Jul 2009, 21:06
Sometimes it's a necessary evil to winch to a DIW (Dead in the Water) boat, though it's seldom pleasant. Nope, give me ten knots of wind off your port bow if you can... makes life much easier for all concerned.

chips101
15th Jul 2009, 21:36
Ascend Charlie, Um...lifting. Thanks for the answer and a BIG THANK YOU for the work you do. Keep up the good work.