PDA

View Full Version : Sassoon Trophy

ATR42300
15th Jul 2009, 17:58
I am researching the history of the Trophy and its benefactor the Rt Hon Philip Sassoon Under Secretary of State for Air prior to the war, the last information I have was that it was awarded to 617 Sqn in the Annual Bombing & Navigation Comp in 1980.

Can anyone please advise the current holders and custodians of this unique piece of silverware!

Many thanks

Wwyvern
15th Jul 2009, 20:20
At RAF College Cranwell, the Hennesssy Trophy and Philip Sassoon Memorial Prize is awarded to the RAF cadet who, during Initial Officer Training, has proved to be the best all-round cadet, other than the Sword of Honour winner.

I don't know what form it takes, so this info might not help.

In my day, the Sword was awarded after a hard three years of training.

Hipper
16th Jul 2009, 09:25
This was mentioned earlier here:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/360406-sassoon-trophy.html

If you type 'Sassoon' in the search box you may get other threads.

D-IFF_ident
16th Jul 2009, 22:08
Damn, I thought the Hennessy trophy was awarded to the cadet who consumed the most brandy over the 18 week course (which was harder then etc...), and the Sassoon trophy was awarded to the best hairstyle.

No wonder I received neither! :}

longer ron
17th Jul 2009, 23:07
The RAF Apprentice Schools also had the Philip Sassoon Flying Award,the prize winner was given a PPL course...a nice 3 week holiday before going out into the 'real' Air Force LOL

Warmtoast
18th Jul 2009, 09:20
I liked the way the race organisers "handicapped" the competitors in the 1929 race for the trophy.

This year the race started and finished at Northolt, and the course lay via North Weald, Hornchurch, Biggin Hill, Kenley and Brooklands, a total distance of 100 miles. A new feature was introduced this time in the handicapping, which brought out an element of skill on the part of pilot and crew apart from actual flying and performance of the machine. Pilots and crews were placed 100 yards from their machines, which were empty of fuel and oil, and with one wheel detached. On the word “ go” they ran to their machines and had to pump in the fuel and oil (Bowser pumps being provided) and fix the wheel. The time taken to get the machine ready for flight counted in the handicap allowance in the race itself.

Vampiredave
18th Jul 2009, 09:49
Details of the trophy and of the winners between 1933 and 1961 can be found on page 350 of John Rawlings' 'Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their Aircraft'. I hope that helps?

forget
18th Jul 2009, 10:22
This of any interest? August 1968 Air Clues.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/sassoon.jpg