PDA

View Full Version : Old ATC movement records at Blackpool Airport

al20a
15th Jul 2009, 17:37
Hi,
Wasn't sure whether to post this question in the History and Nostalgia or ATC issues forum. Does Blackpool Airport still hold any of there old ATC Movement logs from the 1980's. I have tried to find out through the Airports website twice and had not a single reply from them, not even a no! answer.
I contacted Blackpool library instead to see if they had been given any movement logs in the past to there archive section. They said they didn't have any deposited with them, but they would be interested to known too.
I informed them that I had made many visits to the Central Library in Manchester to see the hand written ATC movement logs for Manchester Airport in the 1970's and 80's.
So do the logs still exist or have they been binned, as that would be a shame. As this is apart of the Airports History. If they still exist, can they be viewed for research purposes. The hand written logs for Manchester showed private, military and non flight numbered flights by there registrations for a particular days movements. Schedule and IT flights are just identified by there flight numbers.

regards
Albert

ATR42300
15th Jul 2009, 20:28
Why not contact the Airport Chief Exec with a direct question?

BYALPHAINDIA
15th Jul 2009, 22:54
Hi Albert,

You could try the National Archives etc?

Or maybe contact the CAA direct?

Don't know much about ATC logging & how long they have to be kept (Like Tax records)

I am a Fire service enthusiast and an Ex Fireman friend told me that the old call out records for his station went to the local city library after being passed on from Fire service HQ.

I pressume that the library you went to in MAN will only keep so many archived for so long?

As a long shot there is the British library at Boston Spa near wetherby just 5 mins off the A1.

They may store all the ATC logs from all the UK airports there?

I have seen the building it is 'Big'

I still need some registrations of the A/c I flew on in the 80's from MAN do you need PPR before going to the MAN library or just enquire?

Cheers.
BYAI.

BYALPHAINDIA
15th Jul 2009, 22:56
Just remembered,

Alan Scholefield is your man to speak to.

(He has eaten breathed & slept MAN Airport for 60 + years)

Contact is via The Aviation Society.

al20a
16th Jul 2009, 08:16
Thanks Guys for the advice.

first ATR42300, do you have a contact address or email address for the chef exec and do I have to go that far up the chain of command.

Secondly. BYAI a bit of a crossed wire, its Blackpool movements I am interested in. The 28th August 1982 movements from dawn till dusk and flights that arrived prior to the 28th, but where still there on the 28th. As for the Manchester Library, you have to make an appointment before you can look at the ATC logs and tell them what months you are interested in. I usual book in for around 1000am and you can stay till 1600 depending on what your looking for. You can only order 8 months of logs from any year. Each months box's contains four log books for that particularly month. You are only able to look at one log book at a time.
There are gaps in the hand written ATC records. There are no ATC records from 12/6/78 to 17/7/78 also 25/7/78 to 16/11/79 and 28/11/79 to 20/12/79.
Don't forget as I said above, there are no registrations noted for schedule and IT flights. Only private flights of light and biz aircraft and flights that POSN in and some military flights.
I presume the records will be there for a long time, as long as people take an interest in them. I never thought to ask at the time.

much appreciated
Albert