PDA

View Full Version : Duxford's runway

diddy1234
15th Jul 2009, 15:42
I was wondering if anyone had details regarding Duxford's runway.

I know that the runway was created in 1949 but I have the following questions :-

was the concrete runway placed in the same location as the previous PSP runway ?

What was the original length ?

Why is one end of the runway wider than the other ?

Is it true the IWM owned the buildings but not the runway and if so when did IWM buy the runway as well ?

Slightly off topic but when did the IWM start using Duxford ?

I know that jet aircraft operated from here as well ( last flight of Glouster Javelin in July 1961) but what other jet aircraft operated and what dates were involved ?

Thank you in advance.

DHfan
15th Jul 2009, 16:39
I can't answer most of that, but I don't think the IWM do own the runway. Last I heard, the airfield belonged to Cambridgeshire County Council.

Phileas Fogg
15th Jul 2009, 16:46
Duxford Aerodrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duxford_Aerodrome)

Shackman
17th Jul 2009, 20:54
AFAIK we (8 Sqn) made the first aircraft delivery to the (new) IWM at Duxford on Aug 22 1972 - the last Shackleton MK3 Ph 3 to fly in the UK (which has sadly slowly deteriorated sitting on the pan for the last 30 odd years but is hopefully now being given a bit of TLC). The airfield was badly overgrown as it had effectively closed at the end of the making of the Battle of Britain film in 1968. However, a work crew had come down from Oakington and swept the runway and taxiways, and also provided a crash crew for the arrival of both the Mk 3 and the Mk 2 we took in to take the Mk 3 crew back to Kinloss. At that time the runway was still the full 6000ft with QRA pans at each end - the 'wider bit' at the end of the remaining runway which was shortened by the M11.

A good time was had by all both on the arrival and departure (although I will now admit to overstressing WL787 on the break!), and the couple hiding in the long grass next to the runway had quite a 'rude'awakening.:}:)

airgage
19th Jul 2009, 15:06
PSP runway was adjacent, have a full map of original site, will post if I can find it.

BTW Shack was 2nd aircraft as Sea Vixen had already flown in (Navy got there first :) ). The beat up of the airfield by the 2 Shackletons landed was quite something else, still got the ringing in my ears 36 (?) years later.

When site was originally disposed off the deal included SCC who had the run way and the buildings which went to the museum.

One thing you never see is pictures of the concrete blast pens that were located at the dispersals until the early 60's when many of the outlying buildings and concrete was auctioned off.

Fareastdriver
20th Jul 2009, 07:30
During my flying training in 1961 at Oakington on Vampire T11s I did a sortie that included a GCA at Duxford. It was late in the afternoon and as we climbed away we were cleared on route by air traffic with the words. "Good bye from Duxford, Duxford is closing." On this basis I can claim to have flown the last RAF aircraft to use the runway when it was an active RAF station. Looking at my log book the closest I can get to it is 31st October 1961.

diddy1234
20th Jul 2009, 18:49
wow, some excellent answers.
I learn something new every day.

I was wondering why the runway was wider at the 06 end. seems odd
I was also wondering how long the airfield was empty till the museum opened

Thanks for the posts, there must be some interesting stories

Hyperborean
21st Jul 2009, 16:02
Runway wider at one end, Operational Readiness Platform, try a search engine to find out more.

airgage
21st Jul 2009, 20:28
Trivia about the runway

Prior to Bof B same film unit filmed Billion Dollar Brain - painted part of runway white, covered it with salt and filmed lorries driving over "frozen arctic waste" residue of this still visible during filming of BofB (see overhead shots of airfield being bombed.)

Runway was used for a motorcycle landspeed record in 1960s (see here Trakbytes Hall Of Fame; Alf Hagon (http://www.trakbytes.co.uk/hofaha.html) , search for Duxford word)

Also in the 1960s the police intercepted a smuggling gang who were using DX as a drop off point (tobacco would you believe, real Sweeney stuff).

TA used to use airfield as an exercise /driving area with current restaurant as billeting/garage area.

Oh and I learnt to drive in 70's on the runway in a Renault 8!!

No Shacks that day!!

rutley
23rd Jul 2009, 19:27
You are correct about the runway being laid in 1949. DX closed from 49 until 1951 to allow this to happen. It was next to the PSP runway and was 6000 feet in length. Meteors, Javalins and Hunters were at DX in the 50s with 64 and 65 Squadrons being the main players. The Museum now owns the airfield as well as all the buildings. The Council sold it to them in 2007 for £1.3m. The whole airfield and some of the land to the south is now in a "protected zone", which should save it from the builders.

airborne_artist
24th Jul 2009, 14:53
Runway shortened at the E end by the M11, which had to wait, I think, so the Concorde could get in, in August 77, IIRC. One of my Luton Flying Club flying scholarship course mates wangled a lesson as it arrived so he could see it land.

Russell Gulch
5th Aug 2009, 02:24
When did the B52 arrive in relation to Concorde?

I must admit I thought the B52 was the last "biggie" to land before the runway was shortened.

treadigraph
5th Aug 2009, 06:53
Concorde arrived in '77, the B-52 in 1983. They just managed to squeeze the Concorde in a day or so before work on the M11 got underway and the runway was shortened.

Wycombe
5th Aug 2009, 07:55
....the Buff of course has the scars from it's somewhat sporting arrival!

YouTube - B 52 Landing at Duxford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIGd6COFb8)

airborne_artist
5th Aug 2009, 09:10
the Buff of course has the scars from it's somewhat sporting arrival!Not surprising - according to the commentator to make it lighter it was "stripped of all necessary equipment" - amazing it made it there at all, really :}