PDA

View Full Version : Cant burn files to DVD+R

Sensible
15th Jul 2009, 14:54
I have a computer running XP Professional, I have a DVD RW drive fitted and when I wish to copy photos or files, I have no problems at all in writing to normal CD's. I just cannot write to DVD+R discs no matter what I try. If I click on "My Computer" then "drive D" then "Properties" it shows that the disc has 0bytes of free space and 0 bytes used space. Everything is absolutely fine with a normal data CD, it just won't play ball with DVD+R's it is not a problem with a faulty batch of discs because I have tried other manufacturers products, all with the same result. :{

Any clues? Anyone?

Sprogget
15th Jul 2009, 15:11
Some drives don't like some discs. Try dvd-r instead. Better still, google for your drive - others will have had the same problem & will know what discs do & don't work.

Bushfiva
15th Jul 2009, 15:25
Unless I misunderstood your question, XP Pro itself will only burn CDs. You need a third-party application to burn DVDs. ImgBurn is small, free and works well. There are others.

If you're using an application to successfully burn DVD-R, then maybe your drive doesn't support DVD+R.

Sensible
15th Jul 2009, 15:32
I don't want to burn a DVD image, all I want to do is data backup from Sage and MS Word.

AHHH! can a DVD+R disc only be used for DVD recording or will it also accept normal data files from MS Word? This is a business machine only so I haven't tried to do anything other than process data and access the internet on it.

Sprogget
15th Jul 2009, 15:39
It's the discs. Irrespective of what xp supports, o bytes means the drive ain't reading the disc, before any software is brought into the equation.

Bushfiva
15th Jul 2009, 15:41
OK, then I'll say again: XP Pro by itself will only burn CDs (i.e. copy files to CDs), not DVDs (i.e. copy files to DVDs). If you want to copy files to DVDs, you need a third-party application such as ImgBurn.

Sensible
15th Jul 2009, 15:53
Hmm, using "Nero Info Tool" I can see that the disc is "Blank DVD+R" and Capacity "n/a"

If I look into "Drive" I can see that under "Supported write features" all of the various disc types are supported by tick boxes except DVD+R and DVD+RW and I am unable to place a tick in the box. I guess therefore that I cannot do anything to make the drive accept DVD+R discs!

Sprogget
15th Jul 2009, 16:02
So you have Nero. Put a dvd-r in the drive & come back & tell us what happened.

twiggs
17th Jul 2009, 01:30
It does sound like your DVD drive is not suitable for DVD+R and DVD+RW.
There are various types of DVD's and DVD drives vary as to which ones they work with, some do all, some do one or two.
Eg. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RW DL, DVD+RW DL, DVD-RW2, DVD-RAM.

As stated by Sprogget, you can try to use a compatible disk, or depending on how many of the non-compatible disks you already own, you could buy a multi compatible DVD drive as they are pretty cheap these days anyway.

Sensible
27th Jul 2009, 14:35
DVD-R's work perfectly. DVD+R's don't. Thanks for all the help and guidance.

Sprogget
27th Jul 2009, 15:16
I claim much internet winnage & knowledgeosity.:p

Ancient Observer
28th Jul 2009, 14:14
Sprogs - you'll be arguing with Rainboe next!