PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Runway record.

HeathrowAirport
15th Jul 2009, 13:15
I remember someone telling me that Gatwick once handled 62-64 movements in 1hr, whats was the exact figure that they broke, I know it was in the low 60s but I cant remember what it was - and what was the date?

HeathrowAirport
16th Jul 2009, 09:23
Anyone know, or able to find out for me.

Bagso
16th Jul 2009, 10:25
Manchester hit 60 in 2001 before r/w 2 opened !

Fenders
16th Jul 2009, 10:32
One day last week, can't remember which one, we actually did 60. This is a record for Gatters.
Daily record stands at 895 from last summer.

HeathrowAirport
16th Jul 2009, 18:40
Oh thanks for confirming that Fenders, what day would that be? :L Its just I flew into EGKK and out on one day this month.

Basgo, really? Was it Similar to Gatwick.

Skipness One Echo
16th Jul 2009, 19:10
One day last week, can't remember which one, we actually did 60. This is a record for Gatters.
Daily record stands at 895 from last summer.

Is this right? From my experience flying through Gatwick, I would have said it was a Hell of a lot quiter than it has been compared to say 2005-2006 when there was not a stand to be had in the morning. I thought Gatwick's figures had fallen?

G SXTY
16th Jul 2009, 19:19
Pushing from stand 4 to line-up clearance via M1 took 30 minutes just a few days ago (a distance of about 100 metres). And that was a lunchtime departure.

If it's quiet at the moment, it should be interesting when it gets busy . . . :ooh:

JB007
16th Jul 2009, 20:05
Hi G-SXTY,

Wake Turbulence and feeding you guys in for departure must be a nightmare for the guys in the tower...still, think of the logbook - LGW-JER: 3:30!!!!!

P.s. Big storm overhead if anyone is in/oubound GWC/MID right now!!!!!

G SXTY
16th Jul 2009, 20:23
No complaints from me - plane spotting, extra hours in the log book and getting paid for it. :ok:

Fenders
18th Jul 2009, 15:14
Skipness,

60 is correct. Although our numbers have fallen they are still fairly respectable taking into consideration the following:
Open skies last summer enabled AA, COA, to move to Heathrow.
Excel stopped flying in September.
The collapse of Sterling who served 8 destinations from Gatwick.
This year Nor Shuttle have taken over some of the old Sterling services as have Cimber. FlyBe have started new services from Gatwick including 3 times a day Leeds, Newcastle, Dusseldorf.
Just because we had a 60 hour doesn't mean that every hour is a 60 and as you rightly state, we are a tad quieter although there are still some occasions when we are working like one armed paper hangers!

As has happened in the past when Danair, Air Europe and Bcal went bust, over a period of time other airlines will fill the void. This appears to be happening now. One very noticeable fact is that the size of aircraft is smaller. From an Atc point of view, we are only concerne with aircraft movements. The airport authorities are more concerned with passenger numbers. So, we may be handling similar numbers of aircraft, but our passenger throughput is considerably reduced.

Charley B
19th Jul 2009, 08:11
Think the date was 24th June--read this on another forum
PS you tower controllers do a FANTASTIC job here(especially in difficult conditions like the bad thunderstorms the other night!!)

Tempsford
19th Jul 2009, 08:54
The LGW Aer Lingus programme has also increased significantly and plans are to increase it further.

Charley B
19th Jul 2009, 09:00
Just such a shame that most of the airlines that have left here for whatever reason, have been large aircraft,which there is a lack of sadly-Oasis,Virgin Nigeria,Air Namibia,Continental,etc:{

adz555666
19th Jul 2009, 13:13
Would also be nice if Gatwick had somewhere to watch the planes too!

Anybody know of anywhere?

KR

Adz